“Pretty Good Thai in SLC”
Review of Chanon Thai Cafe

Chanon Thai Cafe
Ranked #189 of 1,493 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 2, 2012

SLC is not known for great Asian restaurants. Here's one that helps boost the opposite. I went there for lunch on a Friday with a business associate. They have good deals for lunch; very affordable. Service was a bit slow but once they took our orders, the soup/salad was there quick followed quickly with the main course. They kept our water glasses full. They even asked if we wanted more rice. Like most Asian restaurants in the US, if you say you want it spicy, they always double verify that's what you want and it is rarely that spicy. This was no exception. Good Thai food in east SLC.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Very good Thai food - A very pleasant surprise. Restaurant appears to be a converted house. Food is very fresh and tasty/flavorful. Looks like lots of locals go there.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We dined at Chanon on a Sunday night at about 5:00 p.m. It was our last meal before we headed home from our vacation in Utah.

When we arrived the restaurant didn't seem that busy, and it seemed like it took a while for the waitress to take our order.

We had the Tom Yum shrimp soup, and the number 41. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, just the number. But it was a Tofu, cashews, pineapple, mushrooms, and green/red peppers all stir fried together. It was very tasty.

My husband and I were both pleased with the quality of the food and thought it was great. If I were to eat from here again, I would probably order take out because I didn't much like the dining experience. The waitresses were not very attentive, or maybe they were too busy and understaffed, I don't know. I'm just used to a different level of service. I would probably try another Thai restaurant in SLC before returning here.

FYI: With those two dishes and a large Sapporo beer our bill was approximately $31.00

Reviewed January 3, 2012

This place always gets good reviews from city weekly and what not. So of course I wanted to try it. The food was average. I think Sawadee is much better and cleaner. The place is small and we were seated by the enterance to the kitchen. Probably not a good place to put me. By the looks of the kitchen I was afraid to eat my food. I didn't even put my purse on the ground. The kitchen had dirty dishes everywhere the floor was wet. From water or other means I do not know. It was like no one was washing the dishes. They were piled up pretty badly. The service was poor. The person came took our order, brought it out and never returned. Now come on, a small place like that and you can't come see how my food is. I don't know what the rave is about this place. Is is not a place I will return to. However I will say the calimari appietizer was good.

1  Thank jenna_samchar
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Went there to celebrate a birthday. It is a small place, but had plenty of seats and a nice 'homey' feel. The service was outstanding and they were very helpful with recommendations. We had their calamari and a panang curry which was wonderful. We topped it off with fried bananas/coconut ice cream which was amazing! If you like Thai, or are interested in trying it for the first time, this is the place to go! We escaped paying under $30.00 and can't wait to go back.