“LDS General Conference visit”

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
“LDS General Conference visit”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in order to attend the LDS General Conference, and the hotel is very nice. They have parking on site and even though it was $5.00 per day parking it was worth it to us. The room was very nice and clean. We would come back again any time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Mhutrail,

Thank you for sharing your kind words.
We are glade you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you visit us aqain soon
801-606-2410

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 1, 2013

stayed for one night on the way to Brighton resort. The hotel is right next to Temple Square and the new shopping/ dining complex City Creek. All spots in downtown are within walking dustance. No breakfast and parking is $5 but for a budget the location was perfect. The front desk staff were very helpful, rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2013
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Kobithebeagle,

This means a lot yo us.
We hope you had an ejoyable ski trip and hope you visit us again soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Me and my family stayed at the Plaza Hotel this past weekend. The hotel staff was so friendly and accomadating. Our room was ready on arrival. The hotel was clean. Our room has been recently renovated and was modern and so nice. Our room had a mini fridge and microwave that is such a huge plus with little kids! The bed (mattress and bedding) was very comfortable. The location is perfect. There is a trax station right outside. We rode the train and were also able to walk to City Creek and Temple Square. The Energy Solutions Arena is just down the street. We had a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. We can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tori R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My family and I stayed here during Father's Day weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a nice view and a big room. We did have a slight problem with the air not getting cold enough, but very understandable considering how hot it was. We loved how close we were to Temple Square and City Creek Center. Beds were very comfortable. We liked it so much, we spent another day there! The attached restaurant " JB's Family Restaurant" was very good. And, one of the only places open on Sunday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Mellie68,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you visit us again soon. We are remodeling our rooms.

Orem, Utah
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The staff was so nice and helpful. The room was clean. The location was perfect, so centrally located to everything I wanted to see and do downtown. I talked with the manager and he was so nice and helpful and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. It was a pleasant surprise to have some real customer service in a world where the concept of customer service seems to be dwindling. I will come and stay again!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Ann C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We look forward to hosting your stay again.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in late February 2013 in a room with a view to the north on the 11th floor. The room, cleanliness, noise level and amenities were average. Nothing stood out with this place. Internet connection was good. Room cleaning service was good. Two oddities:
(1) it was rather difficult to pull the water handle to get the shower to go on. The front desk person had to show me how to do it. I was afraid I was going to damage the shower water handle. I get the impression the hotel staff goes through this drill on a regular basis.
(2) The wall unit heater would either get the room too hot or it would be too cold. I left the heater on at a minimum overnight, otherwise I'd wake up sweating from the heat.
The location is the best thing going for this hotel. Right across the street from the regional light rail train (TRAX). Across the street from the Mormon Temple and new shopping mall. Also nice that there's a free shuttle service to the airport. No breakfast was included at the JB's restaurant adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SLPlaza, Director of Sales at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Budget Freak,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed our great location in Salt Lake City.
We hope you stay with us again soon un one of our beautiful remodeled rooms.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel- this really isn't the case. When I first arrived, the room was small, the heating wouldn't stay on long enough to heat the room, the soap was unwrapped (and presumably second hand) AND THERE WERE THREE BLACK HAIRS IN THE BATH.

I complained to the guy at front desk (because the front desk button on the phone didn't work), and he didn't seem to care. He did move me to an identical room by the lift shaft but didn't really appologise. If I worked there, I would have done it differently.

Anyway, the new room had a buzzing fridge, and MORE black hairs in the bath- both on the basin, in the shower curtains and on the floor. At least the soap was wrapped. Oh, the carpet was ripped across the centre of the room too.

I ordered room service the first morning I stayed- the food arrived quickly and was reasonably priced. However, it tasted really bad, and I couldn't finish it.

I left the tray outside the room, and it took them 3 and a half days to collect it. I told them every single morning it was still there, yet nothing. It's disgusting, everything about this place.

To top off my terrible stay, at 8am on Saturday morning they started CONSTRUCTION work on the room(s) above mine (I was on 10th, the banging and drilling came from above). I had ear plugs in and I couldn't even concentrate with them in, let alone sleep.

I decided to pack up my bags and leave. At reception, I complained once again- and although the lady was apologetic (much better than the guy earlier in the week), she just blamed management and that there was nothing any of the staff could do. She also blamed the restaurant being "a separate entity" as to why my room service tray had been left for nearly 4 days. Yeh right, I paid for my disgusting breakfast via the hotel, and what about all of those maids that walked past it every day?

This is a disgrace of a hotel. So many individual things were terrible about my stay- there are much nicer, better hotels to stay at in Salt Lake City - pick ANY of them over this place!

Oh, and just to top this all off, even though when I checked in I said I was going to use the car park for just one day, I was charged for all days I was staying there. I left my paper ticket in the hire car earlier in the week, and so they insisted I pay $30. Partially my fault for not having the slip, however after the stay I had had, I was shocked to hear they wouldn't waive the fee.

Disgustingly dirty, terrible service, terrible food, poorly decorated, poorly maintained. The only good thing about this place is its next to the convention centre.

OH, and when we parked the car we had to park on the top (4th floor). There are no elevators, and so you have to walk down 4 flights of stairs to get to the hotel. If you're elderly or disabled, be prepared for this. Also, if you want a clean bathroom, be prepared too!

Disgraceful.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank ReflexReact
Dear Micheal1234,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. We appreciate the many positive comments we receive, yours is very important to us. We are presently remodeling our rooms to improve our guests experience. We have a high standard of service at the Plaza Hotel. Your experience is not the norm. We are sorry that we did not measure up. We hope you stay with again in one of our beautiful remodeled rooms.

Kind Regards,