“Good value - ideal location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salt Lake Plaza Hotel

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Good value - ideal location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I had big nicely furnished room on the top floor with an oblique view of Temple Sq and not on the street car side. Quiet apart from the roar of the Aircon unit - noisy but effective. My room had an armchair that was one of the most comfortable I have ever sat in, and one of the ugliest, but who cares? Bring your own bottle opener. There was a narrow balcony but the sliding door was screwed shut maybe for safety reasons. All the staff seemed pleasant and helpful. The breakfast place attached to the hotel was OK and you would need to walk a few blocks to find an alternative. A good solid hotel choice for whatever you want to do in the city.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear geolon,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear your stay was solid choice! We have recently been giving our guest rooms a face lift, so next time you are in town, be sure to ask about one of those! They're beautiful!

801-606-2418

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Southern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel was the site of a recent genealogy conference I was attending. You really can't get any closer to the Family History Library (literally next door) but there are definitely drawbacks to staying here.

Let's do the pros first: access to the FHL, very helpful front desk staff, basic restaurant attached, meeting rooms, 24 hour fitness center, outdoor pool with jacuzzi next to it, guest laundry, drink and ice machines on each floor (there are 13 floors...yes, there is a 13th floor!). Nice sized refrigerator and microwave in each room along with full-sized ironing board and iron.

Now to the cons: Some rooms are extremely small and need updating. A friend of mine was in a "single". Her room was so claustrophobic that she had to come over in the evenings to stretch out on my couch in my king-size handicap-accessible room for which I paid the exact same amount per our conference rate! No air conditioning in the hallways. I don't understand this one nor did the housekeeping staff or anyone who stayed there. We were in the middle of a 97 degree day and the hallways were excruciatingly hot. Truly miserable experience leaving my room!

Last and certainly not least: added "safe warranty fee". It is noted in the folder in the desk that there is a safe provided in the room and to use it for valuables. In small type, there is a notice that a "safe warranty fee applies" but no indication of the amount of the fee. I looked. Nowhere could I find what that amount was. I happened to be at the front desk on the first day I was there and overheard a woman saying she had not used the safe and was charged for it. Apparently they automatically add this fee to every bill and hope you don't notice the $1/day addition. I immediately went to my room and took my things out of the safe and into my luggage with the lock. I find this a case of "fee mania" on the part of the hotel and the lack of transparency about the charge bothered me. However, I will say they willingly removed the fee during checkout without any questions asked.

My blow dryer did stop working on my final morning so I went home with hair in a hat because I only got through half of the drying. When I mentioned this during checkout they didn't seem concerned. I really couldn't complain since I was paying so little for the room so I didn't expect luxury treatment.

The ice machine was broken on our floor the entire week I was there. Normally I don't mind going to other floors to get ice but a week seemed a bit long to get something fixed.

Would I stay again? Probably if only for the easy access to the FHL. I could go back and forth without any problems. The location was phenomenal for research and there is a nice, new shopping mall across the street that has a flagship of Nordstroms and Macy's. There are plenty of stores to keep you happy and even a food court for some quick, cheap eats.

If I was going for something different than genealogy research, I'd probably stay elsewhere. For the single business person or the older couple who enjoy their peace and quiet, watch out for noisy children. There are lots of families who stay here and I seemed to have them across the hall from me all week.

Room Tip: Do not get the single rooms. They have not been updated to a decent cooling system and are quite tin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Karin1234
Dear Karin1234,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed our location, staff, and in room microwaves/refrigerators. The safe fee that you spoke of is on the registration card we have our guests sign when they check in, but like you said, if not used, we can easily remove the fee upon check out. We are currently in the middle of a guest room remodel, so next time you are in town, definitely give us a call to check out the new rooms! Like you said, there's no where closer to the genealogy library, and we are looking forward to making your next stay great!

Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed here with a conference on genealogy. The Family History Center is right next door! The rooms are nicely furnished with comfortable beds, a refrigerator and microwave. The staff is friendly and helpful. All of the downtown area is within easy walking distance. The hotel even provides a free shuttle to the airport. I will stay here again when I return to the city.
I saw some earlier reviews for this hotel which were very critical of the attached restaurant, JB's. As a result, I walked to area restaurants for the first few days of my stay. I eventually ate at JB's due to time constraints. I was pleasantly surprised by the menu, the service and the food. I'm not sure what the criticism was based on...after all, this is an informal restaurant where the prices are reasonable. It compares favorable with other family and hotel restaurants. I will eat there again on my next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank James M
Dear James M,

Thank you for your comments! I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm also glad to hear you gave our restaurant a try and were pleasantly surprised! We will see you next time you're in town!

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

A great location if you want to be close to Temple Square - just across the road. The tram is just outside the door. It is free within the city and very cheap to go further. Our room was lovely and clean and very comfortable. The hotel has a restaurant attached with good food at reasonable prices. As it was so hot we appreciated the outside pool. We had free internet use of the hotel's computers. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport. A most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen W
Dear Karen W,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us! We pride ourselves on excellent service to our guests and strive daily to meet that standard. We'll see you next time you're in town!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed at the Plaza last week. Very clean and comfortable. Nice ammenities such as frig, microwave, coffeemaker, full-size ironing board, vanity sink with hairdryer, and ergonomic desk chair. Pretty view of city. Friendly staff and cute common/family areas. Reasonable parking fee. Best location, hands down, in all of SLC.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank L7A2B7
Dear L7A2B7,

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we offer! We've recently started remodeling our guest rooms, so next time you're in town, be sure to ask for one of them!

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Plaza in Salt Lake City is nothing fancy, but it offered us a good place to rest for the night. Right on the edge of downtown, the location (much remarked upon in previous reviews) is convenient enough being close to Temple Square and transit lines, though there are other even more central hotels in the city. Parking is $5. Breakfast isn’t included and we avoided the restaurant as it really didn’t look very nice. Most of the room features have been recently updated (though the dark red color scheme is a bit unfortunate). The hallways are not airconditioned, making them uncomfortably hot in the summer, though the rooms are nice and cool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank aforth
Plaza Hotel P, Manager at Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear aforth,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are actually in the middle of a remodel project right now with a new color scheme I think you might like! So next time you're in town, make sure to check out one of the new rooms! They're gorgeous!

Caswell Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

A block from Temple Square, can ride the trax (tram ), No Bar, it's LDS, so BYOB. No Breakfast free. Very clean and friendly. Reasonably priced. Parking is $5.00 per day, not bad. Also very easy to get to from the interstate and easy to get back on the next day. As I said everything within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Thomas K
Dear Thomas K,

Thank you for your comments. It's great that you mention the affordable parking! Even more great that you mention how easy it is to get around downtown as we have the transit trax line that stops right outside our front door. Next time you're in town give us a call and check out our newly remodeled rooms (since you've stayed with us.)