“Solid value, great service, will visit again!”

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed March 28, 2012

While this place might not look like a lot from the outside, and while you might be nervous because it's been around awhile...I was pleasantly surprised with what I found and we will be back. Rooms were a little dated, but clean. Bed linens can be completely washed - duvets instead of bedspreads give you a fresh, clean feeling when you're ready to crash. Our room was upgraded at no additional charge, and the customer service was very pleasant and prompt. The best thing about this hotel is the proximity to everything you'd want to visit - walking distance to EVERYTHING that downtown SLC has to offer. A hidden gem!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janice B

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We were in Salt Lake for a conference that was being held at the Hilton. The Hilton was going to charge us $100 more and not include breakfast, a shuttle, or wifi, so we looked at other options and found the Plaza. So happy we did!!

We had a 2 Queen Bed room for $139/night that included breakfast vouchers for both of us for every night we stayed. The vouchers were good for the breakfast buffet + a beverage in the restaurant downstairs (tip extra). It was not the healthiest food, but convenient and a good selection. The staff across the board - restaurant, shuttle, desk - was super nice.

The room was also huge, with both a desk and a table, which was really great for two business travelers sharing a room who both needed space for their laptops!

There was a hot tub we never got around to using and a pool that was closed for the winter, so, I can't comment on those. Shuttle service saved us some money and picked us up and dropped us off right when we wanted.

There is a bit of noise from the light rail if you stay on that side of the building, but, I live in a city, so I'm use to ambient city noise. Actually, I'm really annoyed that we had an awesome deck but the door was bolted shut! I would have loved to open my door to get fresh air! That's my only major complaint!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The only thing to love about this hotel is the location. I was there for a convention so perfect from that. Also, right across from Temple Square. $129.00 for my room. Very similar class of hotel to a Holiday Inn Express, but a little more run down (try sitting on the lobby furniture) and no free breakfast. Problems with my heater - it seemed to be all or nothing so I either froze or was too hot. My colleague's room had a better model though, so ask for another room if you are there in freezing weather and have the old style heater.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mommysdb
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The hotel is decent, the rooms are clean, the staff is kind and helpful, and the pool is decent. The only reason I stayed here was so that I could walk just around the corner (literally about 50 steps) to visit the Genealogical Library to do research. I will continue staying here for the excellent value and prime location, but will never get excited to stay here solely for the hotel itself.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank kelly b
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We arrived at the SLC airport weary with travelling for over 20 hours, a quick call from the courtesy phone saw us being whisked away in the hotel shuttle shortly after landing. This is a great service, although not strictly 'free' when you give a gratuity.

We were so tired we probably would have slept on a barbed wire fence but the beds were like clouds and the room so quiet we slept for nearly 12 hours. The room itself was roomy enough to take our two large suitcases plus a snowboard bag and some other carry-on luggage. It was beautifully presented and clean.

The location was terrific, there's a few restaurants nearby as well as the whole Mormon Mecca thing just over the road. We enjoyed watching the Mormon Tabanacle Choir and orchestra practice for their broadcast on Sunday morning - which was a treat - whatever you believe they are sublime.

This would make a great base if you were skiing the resorts around SLC as the rates were fabulous (we paid $79.00 p/n).

Bottom line is this is nothing fancy but it is good value and easy to recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle_6532
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I travel every January to visit the the Family History Library to do research on my family lines. I have stayed at this Hotel for my last four visits as it is only a block away from the library and you can't get more convenient than that. It is older, but the rooms are clean and well kept, price is moderate, and staff is friendly and helpful. There is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel between 6:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. A free trolley runs out front (I've taken it to the Gateway Shopping Center for dinner). For my purposes, this is the ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LEJ-DE
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We waited 10+ minutes for an elevator and then called down to the front desk to see what was going on. (I had just had abdominal surgery two days prior and wasn't going to walk down 12 flights.) The front desk said they should be working. Finally an elevator arrived. When we got in the elevator a man called down from the elevator shaft and said the lift was out of service. 20 minutes later we make it to the ground floor! Hallelujah! (Thank goodness we didn't get stuck *in* an elevator!) The clerk at the front desk couldn't have cared less about our frustration. I would say customer service in general is lacking throughout the entire state in Utah, and you will find an exceptional example of that at the Plaza.

• Stayed: January 2012