“Good Place for Genealogists” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salt Lake Plaza Hotel

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good Place for Genealogists”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

I have stayed at the Plaza Hotel several times because its so convenient to the LDS Library. I had requested an upper floor room and was put in the last room on the 12th floor which faced the Capitol. Room was small but was a very pleasant view both in the morning and at night! Nice to have microwave and refrig in room too. Hate to complain about free shuttle but called when I arrived at the airport and was told shuttle would be there in about 15-20 minutes. That wait became a 50 minute+ wait as the person who answered the phone at the hotel forgot to tell the shuttle driver! Unfortunately this has happened 3 other times. Appreciate the free shuttle but communication between hotel and shuttle driver needs to be better!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed here on a Wednesday night with my daughter. I had requested a room not near an ice machine or elevator, and we were by both. However, it turns out that this we didn't hear either in our room, so this is a quiet hotel. It was very clean, and the beds were comfy. The front desk was friendly. Wifi worked fine, and unlike previous reviews stated, I was able to access facebook and other sites. The downside of this hotel is the lack of restaurants. JB's is usually a few notches below Dennys so we opted to not even try it. We were in town for Taylor Swift concert at Energy Solutions Arena. and we walked to the arena, which was a definite plus. It's only a block from the hotel. When we returned from the concert we were starving, but there was nothing close that was open, and there are no vending machines in the hotel, except for soft drinks. We opted to have a pizza delivered from Big Daddy's Pizza, which was an excellent choice. The next morning we took the trax (stops right outside the lobby) down a few blocks to the Little America and ate breakfast. We had an excellent breakfast and looked around, and decided next time we will stay at Little America instead. For the same price you can get a court side room, which is surrounded by landscaping and a nice pool, and the hotel offers 3 restaurants. This would have been the better choice, but overall, the Plaza wasn't a bad choice, they just need to offer some food choices!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Chandler, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Pleasantly surprised! Due to early arrival for a re-scheduled meeting, the staff made every effort to accomodate my needs. Sent the shuttle within 10mins of my arrival (thanks George), found a room immediately, upgraded me and I was in my room in just a few minutes. I made my appt. and still had time for a leisurely lunch before my afternoon appt. The staff was extremely efficient. My room was clean, comfortable and the location perfect. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the Temple view. Temple Square lights up at night, beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Delta, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

When I first set eyes on The Plaza I was a bit discouraged. I guess some rooms are reserved for student housing, and the first thing my eyes fixed on was green duct-tape taped to a window of one of the rooms. Looked a bit trashy for me.
Once inside I was impressed with the front desk. They were efficient and polite. They took care of me as fast as possible, even though I arrived an hour earlier than check-in. They told me that some rooms had been double booked and that I was receiving a complimentary upgrade because of their oversight. That impressed me.
The rooms were ok, but old. There were a couple places in the bathroom that the wallpaper was peeling and you could see mildew growing. The furniture was old. The one thing that did impress me was how clean the old rooms were. I walked around barefoot and the soles of my feet stayed quite clean.
I guess this hotel caters to older folks who are in town for geneology, so it was very quiet during my stay. Something I really liked.
All-in-all it was an average stay.

Room Tip: Request the upper floors. I was on the 6th and I did hear Trax(the trolley) every night.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mammoth29
Blackwater, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here the staff where so friendly and helpful. It was the only hotel in seven weeks of travelling that had a refrigerator,microwave and coffee maker. They also had a very good CHEAP laundry. Most of the hotels are getting too expensive with the laundries. The food was very good and reasonabley priced. as close as you will get to homecooked. Also being across the road from Temple Square was a bonus. One block from the Post Office and three blocks from the Mall. The only thing I could fault was the carpets needed a good clean as they smelt dusty in my room. And thats being really picky.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank KayeJ244
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Hotel was clean and staff was very nice. I was able to check in early. The hotel is close to pretty much everything. You can walk, or get on the train outside. The State Capital is a few blocks, but a nice walk. The area seemed very clean, and safe. There is a family history center around the corner that was interesting. It was free, and staff assited in looking up ones family tree.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Everything was perfect. Clean and big rooms. Try to get a room in the 12th or 13 floor, the view is great. Temple square is on the other side of the street, just 100 meter away.
Don't miss "The gateway" mall, just 5 minutes by foot.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple