Salt Lake Plaza Hotel
Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$129
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$89
Comfort Inn Downtown(Salt Lake City)
$112
$93
Hilton Salt Lake City Center(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$200
$180
Hilton.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Peery Hotel(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$108
$98
  • Room Service
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$159
$127
  • Restaurant
$135
$131
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$119
GardenInn.com
Comfort Suites Airport(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$100
ComfortSuites
Little America Hotel(Salt Lake City)(Great Value!)
$139
All reviewsfamily history librarytemple squarejb's restaurantgreat locationfamily restaurantgenealogy researchadjacent restaurantlds churchsalt lakeconvention centertram stopparking garagewithin walking distanceper dayfree shuttle servicedirectly across the streetlight rail
Reviewed September 19, 2007

The hotel itself is fine, especially considering the low price. I was there to research in the genealogy library -- next door. Couldn't be any closer! Hotel staff is very nice, efficient; computer is available for checking e-mails, etc. They had a good "necessities" shop. My room was large, made up promptly, and kept very clean. Brand new car took me to the airport - free. BUT -- that JB's Restaurant attached to the hotel (and technically not a part of the hotel) is DREADFUL (It's the grease and deep fry capital of the American southwest.)-- and it's just about the only place to eat, unless you want to walk two LOOOOONG blocks to the Marriott or the Joseph Smith Building, or take the tram down to Gateway. When you're wiped out from all day in the library, you want a decent dinner -- at the hotel. The old mall across the street is now a big hole in the ground, so the food court (handy for lunch) is gone. The Inn at Temple Square, which had decent food, is part of that hole in the ground -- gone. Until that awful JB's is replaced with something better, I'll stay at the Mariott and eat their food. For lunch, I'll need to walk two or three blocks to the JS building or the Lion House. But I will not eat that Trailer Trash food at JB's! If the owner of the hotel sees fit to buy the restaurant and change it to something decent, you can bet I'll stay at the Plaza again! But not until........

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank TirzahRuth
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The only great comment I can leave was that it had a great view of temple square. First of all, the you have to pay an extra $5 for parking and it's a 3-4 story parking garage. But don't park anywhere but the bottom because the only door out of the garage is on the first floor. Then the hotel attendant gave us the wrong key twice, the second time we actually walked in on a couple in the room. Finally we got our right room the third time. Plus, the rooms are incredibly small! Then the hot tub was out of order the entire time we were there. It was an awful experience and I will never go back again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jlh0520
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We stayed here two nights. The negative reviews (all over a year old) had me concerned, but for just $85 a night (internet genealogy rate) and right across the street from Temple Square, I was willing to take a shot. I'm glad I did. The ONLY previous complaint I can agree with is that the A/C unit was pretty loud, but luckily we didn't need it much.
The room was average but clean. Plenty of room even for my wheelchair (we were not in an ADA room). Yes, the carpet/drapes/bedspreads are dark colored, but what hotel's aren't these days? There was a coffee maker, microwave, and fridge - these and all other amenities including TV and wireless internet worked great.
The balconies really are only about 16" wide, but my mother had no problem stepping out and taking city and street pics. Unfortunately, the hotel faces north and south, but Temple Square is on the east end. We faced south, on South Temple Ave. Good views south and west across the valley, but mountains to the east are partially blocked by high-rises. If you get a north-facing (back side) room, you can probably lean out and see the Tabernacle and the main temple. A picture window at the end of the hallway gave a full elevated view of the square, but the window was a little foggy. Even with a small balcony, the sliding door was much better than having only a window.
Bums? Prostitutes? Where?? We had one lady ask politely for change at the north Temple Square gate. That's it. I saw no unsavory types anywhere near the hotel. Not even on the streets or in the small corner park across from our balcony, at ANY hour.
Dorms: There may be dorms on the lower floors as stated, but we saw only businessmen and tourist types in the lobby. The 2 main elevators service floors 6-13, and they were NOT slow as some reviews claim.
Noise: We heard no sounds through the walls. You will hear some traffic noise and the light rail bells during the day, but hello!, you're downtown! There is some heavy building construction to the SE during daylight hours. If you're really picky, ask for a higher room on the back side. Traffic is very light here, compared to most big cities.
JB's Restaurant: A HUGE menu, cheap prices, and a well-stocked soup, salad, and fruit bar. I had a thick ham steak and my mother had all-u-can-eat shrimp and salad bar. We also had them bring a room service omelette and pancakes. All good!
The lobby was neat and clean, and there's a guest library and a gift shop. The staff was friendly. Parking was $5/day in the garage, where a door leads directly into the lobby.
The bottom line is that if you're so thin-skinned and in need of luxury, go pay $219 at the Marriott a block away. For $85 a night, we slept just fine and think we made a fantastic choice!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank RoadWarrior200
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We booked several rooms at this hotel for a wedding party. The location was so convenient and we were pleased with the rooms, the staff, and the price. It isn't a super luxury hotel, but it was very nice and met our needs. There was not a breakfast included in the price, however there is a JB's in the building. We did not have any bad experiences and found the staff helpful and curteous. It was so nice not to have to find parking and walk far carrying our things for the wedding and pictures. We appreciated having a nice hotel so close. Everyone in the wedding party had only good comments about our choice of hotels.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank travelfirst
Reviewed November 23, 2006

My daughter is an outpatient at Shriners Hospital in Salt Lake City. We drive four hours, three to five times a year to get her there. We stay at the Plaza every time we come. I have yet to have a bad experience. I thought the hotel was a very pretty place with nice rooms and great service. I felt compelled to write this review when I got online to book a room for this weekend and read the review titled " horrible hotel. What a dump". In all the times I have been there i havent once seen a transient or been asked by anyone for money, cigarettes or anything else for that matter. The location is great. Located right down town from an awesome mall, directly across the street from the beautiful LDS temple and within a short distance from the hospital. As for the resteraunt, well its always a pleasure to eat there. The staff is great and the food is always good. Ive stayed at other hotels in SLC and for the record I intend to continue booking at the Plaza.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family