New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Dietrich, Idaho
“Don't overlook an airpot location when staying in SLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We took a mini family vacation that included the last kid/teenager in the house for visits to the zoo, museums, Cabellas (for me), and dinning. I'm familiar with the lay out of SLC and and adjoining cities so when you take in the amount of interstate travel available from an airport location I give a nod to staying out away from the downtown. Take a look at a map I 15, I 215, I 80, Redwood Rd., Bangerter Hiw. With some planning and a Google savy navigator (wife) you can visit a lot of places from an airport location without to much city traffic. Ok, for the Hotel part very nice, 4 pillows on the bed now I can leave my favorite pillow in the car. Air conditioning worked great with minimal noise, and as far as noise the traffic and airport location was for me not a factor. The bed/mattress was one of those that I would call hotel firm after about six hour you don't want to be in bed any longer. The shower now this is where I get critical, wow it was great plenty of hot water, the showerhead delivered and no interuption from other guest using the water at the same time. The exhaust fan in the bathroom either didn't work or wasn't wired to light switch. No big deal I've shaved with a foggy mirror before. Our 4th floor location was great and I would ask for it again, the guest noise was very minimal almost none at all!!! We already had our dinning itinerary mapped out so I can't comment on the restaurant except that if you have a $10.00 hamburger or a $13.00 basic breakfast you should have lines into the lobby before I take a seat. On our second night we had spent all day taking in SLC from early AM till 8:30 PM only to find we can't find a place to park because the Studdebaker crowd had 2/3 on the parking lot roped off for themselves. Was I irritated, you bet when I went to the front desk for help I was given directions to the rear of the building using a private parking lot. Then a slog thru the swamp/grass where Canadian geese and mallard ducks from a nearby lake spent a great deal of time forraging and pooping. The next morning I had to retrace my steps back thru the ankle deep water with my family gleefully watching from above ready to film any angry goose/duck encounter. Ha Ha. I made to car without a YouTube momment. All of this for a Rambler/ Studebaker/American Motors gathering. I'm old enough to remember Studdebakers and yes I drove a Studdebaker pickup when I was young re: floor mounted ignition switch/swing away fenders, ha. We laughed at our neighbors driving Ramblers then came American Motors ok I've cried enough. I still favor Fords, ha.Other than my fit about parking this Hotel works and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask if the American Motors Club is going to reserve the lot for themselves, ha,ha.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ted C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
David thank you for your post. I always appreciate receiving feedback from guests regarding their stay at my hotel. It is very valuable for me and my team.

My apologies about the hotel being overtaken by Studebakers! They planned their big event three years ago and were very excited to all be here together.......even though they did dominate our parking lot!! I appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for your time and your business. I hope to see you and your family again next time you are coming through Salt Lake.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying here regularly since I discovered this place in 2007. The location is Great, easy to get around from here. The management obviously places a premium on customer service - I have seen no less than 4 groups of front desk, restaurant and bar staff come Nd go and all of them have been attentive and concerned with my experience here.

I have tried a number of hotels in the SLC area as I am here around 30 nights per year and this place is the beat I have found.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ted C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about my team and our hotel. It is very rewarding to see you refer to our hotel as your "home" away from home. That is the feeling we hope all of our guests will feel after staying with us. My team is very personable and takes great pride in delivering great service that our guests love.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

It's a new Holiday Inn but they give no extras. The rates are high for comfortable rooms. I'm platinum with Priority club and was offered no upgrades, discounts or vouchers. The staff was very helpful when I got sick during the trip. The in house restaraunt is about the only place to eat for miles around.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank akrsouth
Ted C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your business and for your feedback. We truly do value you as one of our Priority Club Platinum members. I hope you were able to enjoy our complimentary chocolate chips cookies and Dasani bottled water that we have for our Priority Club members. We also have breakfast coupons for our Platinum members and we do provide room upgrades when they are available. Typically we are sold out during the week so upgrades are sometimes difficult to come by mid week. Again, I appreciate your honest feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity next time you come through Salt Lake City.
College Park, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in two Holiday Inns this trip and both were great properties. This one, outside Salt Lake City's airport, is brand new and very fresh. Room was high quality, with clever allusions to Holiday Inns past (pictures with old signs, $8 room prices, etc. . .), a good bed, nice and updated decor, and an efficient bathroom. Quibbles include a door lock that didn't work so well--wouldn't lock back up, so had to get this taken care of with the front desk--and scant staff. Sometimes I went past front desk and there was no one. Also fitness center was almost non-existent. Would be nice if the hotel had arrangements with a nearby gym if the facility on site is so inadequate.

Location of the hotel is super convenient. Airport is very close (though Google Maps sent me the wrong way--beware) and downtown SLC is just four miles away, merely five minutes with no traffic.

Overall great value--my $51 bid was accepted on Priceline (usually about $129) and at the hotel, internet and parking are free. Beware if you use Priceline and require a double double--the Priceline rooms have just one bed, and getting a room with two beds will subject you to an upcharge. This is a heinous practice among hotels that treat Priceline guests differently, but they do here.

Interestingly, this is the only full service Holiday Inn in Salt Lake City, which I found odd. Does make it easier to locate though.

Room Tip: Double double rooms with two beds seem to be at a premium here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ted C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you TravelBeard for your thoughtful review. I appreciate the kind words and also the constructive feedback that affords us an opportunity to review our product and our procedures. It is through good thoughtful reviews such as yours that we are able to improve upon what we are currently doing. So thank you very much for your time, consideration, and your business.
Powell, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

This holiday inn was gorgeous and he rooms huge. The front desk staff was so professional and nice, they let us check in early. I would definitely stay here again. No free breakfast but buffet was 1/2 with coupon from checkin so my breakfast with coffee only $5.75 each including coffee. The food was very good. We also ordered pizza last night and it was made from scratch and do good!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ted C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Annette thank you for your thoughful and nice review! My team really prides itself on giving great service and preparing tasty food so to see it in writing in this public forum is very rewarding. Again, thanks for your consideration and I to see you on your next visit to Salt Lake City.
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Very impressed with the food at this hotel restaurant. The food was good and the service quick for our large group of 13. The fish tacos were yummy. I would eat here again.

• Stayed July 2012
      Cleanliness
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City-Airport West, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your compliment to our restaurant! I too really enjoy the fish taco's......especially when they are grilled. I hope you will come back and see us again next time you are in Salt Lake.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Close to the airport and clean, quiet room. Lobby staff very friendly..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Glenn thank you for your positive feedback. It is our number one goal of course to impress our guests and it appears we were able to do so with you. Please come back and see us again next time you are here in Salt Lake.