“Disappointed”

Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I will stick with the Marriott's. Although a nice hotel, there is a major disconnect with the staff (especially the front desk). Very disappointing stay on many levels - too many to list. I highly recommend looking elsewhere for lodging. On several occasions we were given bad directions to the point in which we got lost. Although they say the front desk has a concierge - it is clear that they do not. The employees do not care and do not want to take the time to help families with anything other than check in's and check out's

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan H
GeneralManagerSLC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Susan H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning our property. We appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay, especially our front desk staff. I will make sure to speak with my front desk staff and have them provide clearer directions as well as a map.

Marianna Gamboa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with this hotel. Clean comfortable,friendly staff. If I was able to change one thing though it would be to make the restaurant open for late lunches even if just with a limited menu. Searching all over downtown for any restaurant open at 3pm was frustrating. I would definitely stay again and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank TamGeo
GeneralManagerSLC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We apologize about the inconvenience of having to go out for lunch. Next time you stay with us, please ask the front desk staff for recommendations. They know the area very well and would be more than happy to help you.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Salt Lake City and thank you for recommending us to friends and family!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Driver, Desk Clerk, Staff - Nice people, no facade. Room was very comfortable. Breakfast was really good - have their bacon! Nice pool and a great location. We walked to the Leonardo, restaurants, theater and shopping. I would highly recommend a stay here and will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Matthias S
GeneralManagerSLC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Matthias S,

Thank you for your review, we greatly appreciate it. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our staff, room, breakfast, pool and location. I will pass your comments onto my staff. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Salt Lake City.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I would recommend this hotel. It is always clean, the rooms are comfortable and the staff is always more than willing to help. The workout room is well appointed and the equipment is always in working order. The hotel is also close to restaurants if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim D

Dear Tim D,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review, we greatly appreciate it. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your room and the fitness center. I will let my staff know that you appreciated their helpfulness. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Salt Lake City.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The HGI in Salt Lake City is a wonderful hotel with the type of amenities that one would expect at a far more expensive hotel (we paid $107 a night - not sure if the price is higher in winter). The rooms are large, with plush, comfortable bedding and soft, absorbent towels. The room is very functional with a chair to watch TV from as well as a nice desk and chair for working. The shower has good water pressure and the room was both clean and quiet, with no noise from the rest of the hotel.

Breakfast was excellent, with many choices. But the one thing that kept me from rating the hotel as excellent was the strange setup for breakfast. We were under the impression that our rate included the buffet breakfast. When we sat down, we were given a menu of hot items and told the buffet, including hot items, was $10.95. We checked at the desk and they couldn't figure it out, so gave us a coupon for the breakfast. Still, it's a weird arrangement. There's an extensive cold buffet and then a hot made-to-order menu that you have to get through a server, yet the whole thing is one price. Most people in the room were confused as well as surprised that they had to pay for breakfast.

This is more a communication issue than anything else, but HGI needs to fix it to reach the quality they are surely striving for.

For those who haven't been to SLC before, don't let the map fool you. Although it looks like only a few blocks from the HGI (and all the other hotels nearby) to the Temple Square, the blocks are very long and it's over a mile.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 304 - the lower the number, the further from the elevator an ice machine, and so the qu...
2  Thank drbking

Dear drbking,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the room accomodations. I am sorry the breakfast setup was confusing, I will pass this feedback on to the appropriate department. We hope to see you the next time you visit Salt Lake City.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Located just minutes from the Courthouse tram station, this hotel is a great deal for the money in a big city. The rooms were great, the staff efficient and they have fresh cookies in the foyer late in the afternoon. The restaurant in the hotel was a great value and far nicer than most in house hotel fare.

3  Thank dotsy1313
GeneralManagerSLC, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our rooms, staff, cookies and restaurant. I will make sure to pass on your comments to my staff. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Salt Lake City.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Julie at the front desk/reception was great, very friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean, they have a nice pool and a decent workout room, also good location, easy to get to/from the airport, local restaurants and expressways.

2  Thank Allan L

Dear Allan L,

Thank you for such a positive review of our hotel, we greatly appreciate it. I will let Julie know how much you appreciated her service. I am glad to see you also enjoyed our pool, fitness center and location. Please visit us again the next time you are in Salt Lake City.