“good value SLC place”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #35 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We (family of three) stayed for the night last week of august.

As we had just flown in from Paris, sleeping off our jet lag was the main goal.

We thought the hotel was good price for value: nice big room with its own kitchen, twxo big flat screens, nice bathroom. Neither of us are tight sleepers, so we appreciated the good acoustic isolation of the rooms. Only the amtrak passing every few hours did wake us, but to us Europeans this sound has some charm.

The free underground parking was very convenient.

Breakfast was abundant, the breakfast room itself functional, not cosy.

In short: good price for value place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DnA38
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I've always wanted to go to Paris! Thank you for your review! We'd love to have you return as our guest, hope we can accommodate you again soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here August 2011 while attending a convention. I shared this 2 bedroom suite with my 2 nephews, allowing each of us our own bed. It had all the amenities of home. I liked the living room feature with the sofa and TV, allowing us to congregate and chat, or watch TV as a group.
The individual bedrooms also had their own TV's. The room with 2 beds was good sized.
I grabbed the king bed side of the suite and I loved it. That room was spacious. I also liked the full size refrigerator, allowing us to keep cold water bottles on hand, besides cold beer. We didn't use anything besides the microwave and fridge. We had shopped for stuff to have in the room in the event we got hungry(chips, donuts,etc.) I enjoyed the coffee in the mornings, along with the hot breakfast. I missed most of the evening buffets, which some of them I regretted. The location was good, as I drove to the convention center. I didn't worry about walking around the neighborhood, because I didn't have that need. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to use the gym or the pool.
I did like the fact that our suite opened onto the roof. In the evening when everything settled down for me, I was able to go outside and watch the neighborhood below , and the park across the street, all the time while enjoying a cigar without bothering anyone.
All in all, I found this place a good place to stay,

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Sounds like you really enjoyed your stay here with us! I shared your review with our staff and they loved the fact that you each were so comfortable and you said it felt like home.
We sure hope you return to see us again soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The good: The rooms are clean, spacious and are typical Homewood with the kitchen, full refrigerator, etc. I didn't eat the breakfast or dinner, but both appeared to be well received. The hotel itself is connected to a Sports Bar and Grill called Iggy's which has great food and a nice atmosphere. There is also a Sushi place next door and a Buca di Peppo and PF Changs a short walk away, along with a few other restaurants.

The bad: The front desk clerk couldn't have been more cold upon check-in. Sure, I arrived about an hour before the check-in time, but her first words "well it's early, I'll have to see if I have a room ready." Nothing along the lines of "let me see what I can do for you." She was just very indifferent and you could tell she couldn't have cared less that I was at the hotel. Although I'm a Hilton Diamond member, I never expect anyone to bend over backwards, but a little courtesy goes a long way which this clerk didn't have. This property does have a lot of homeless people hanging around during the day and especially at night. Although harmless, it's a little disturbing when you're not from Salt Lake.

Overall the property is great and I would return next time I'm in Salt Lake.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arrived in SLC after 22 hours on planes, and was delighted by my suite at Homewood. Spacious with a small kitchen (with every utensil, toater, coffee maker, dishwasher and detergent etc). Lounge area with couches, coffee table and very large plasma screen with a dvd player. Fridge was very large and well chilled with ice already placed in the top freezer.

Seperate bedroom with a large queen bed, bathroom with bath/shower facilities and a seperate dressing table and another monstrous plasma in the bedroom. Good size closet plus iron and board. I only made use of the morning breakfast twice and it's fairly basic but nice. Waffles, bagels etc with spreads, juices, coffee bar and a very nice fruit salad and yoghurt station. The two hot dishes every morning didn't appeal to me as it seemed to look overcooked and greasy. That said, one can fill up with bagels and fresh fruit and hit the day. Room cleaners were really good, and my room was always made up when I returned to my room in the afternoons and products like used soaps, body lotios etc were replaced daily.

On a less positive note, I thought the reception ladies were incredibly efficient, but looked slightly disinterested/bored and a irritated when asked a question. They were all efficient enough, it just didn't look like they were loving life or their jobs much. Good laundry room and pool and great downtown location that is nice and in a quiet but very central part of the city.

If reception can pick up their "mojo" it would be a definite that I would return to this hotel! Also a great gym on third floor and very clean laundry room on fourth floor. I never made use of the complimentary "dinner of the night" with drinks option as it's served very early from 5pm to 7pm, but would be great for families. All in all, great stay and don't be put off by previous reviews mentioning the homeless people in Pioneer park, they look harmless and only hang in the park in daytime as there is a shelter where they go at night, so certainly not a hindrance or a danger, plus there is a police station right next to Homewood suites!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Loved your review! Not because you gave us great reviews, but because you really took the time to describe your experience. You mentioned everything we have and how you were able to utilize or not, but you knew we had it for you. Also as a woman traveler you mentioned your experience witht the homeless in the area. We are very grateflul for the time you took to share and help our hotel team grow in a positive direction. Thank you! Thank you!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

THE BAD: My family and I stayed in a suite which included a full size refrigerator, a mini sink, a microwave (the door couldn't fully open because of how it was installed), a dishwasher (but no dishwasher detergent) and a 2 burner stove (one was inoperable and hung lopsided). The coach had a hole in it (yuck) but my biggest peeve overall was how the sheets, pillowcases and towels smelled...BLEACH! I have never stayed at a hotel that used so much bleach! It made it difficult to breathe at night. I also requested that air fresheners not be used in our suite (It smelled very strong the first night). Housekeeping was great on Sunday-Wednesday. I left $5 tips but from Thursday-Sunday housekeeping was hit and miss. (I didn't leave at tip). On those days, countertops weren't wiped, mirrors stayed dirty and vacuuming was sparse. Also, one day handtowels were missing and we were given 3 bath towels instead of the 6 we requested. The tissue box remained empty for 2 days until I pulled it out and opened it to indicate that it needed to be filled. We ran out of toilet paper because spare rolls weren't left. In terms of location, and this is something that was handled well by the hotel staff, there were many homeless people around due to the shelter being right around the corner. We never saw anyone in the hotel but I'm just saying that with all the walking that my family did, we encountered many people asking us for money. We did not, however, feel threatened or unsafe. It was just a....surprise; something that we had never encountered before. We had many discussions, as a family, about homelessness.

THE GOOD: Great swimming area with hot tub, awesome breakfast and managers reception. The person who staffed the 5-7pm reception was so friendly and engaging! Everything in the food area was very clean. There is a small gift shop which was great for my young family. The business center had 2 computers, and a fax/printer machine. The workout room was AMAZING! The only complaint I had was the location of the 3 treadmills...Although it's nice to look out the window while using the machine it faces away from the door and, as a woman, I didn't feel safe. There is a security system in place... you have to use your keycard in the elevator to access your floor. This is a wonderful feature and one that every hotel should have! The underground parking was great (although I wouldn't let my 12 and 19 year old girls go down there alone. Too big, too dark). The people at reception were great...very helpful and friendly. This hotel has a very large laundry room which made for a pleasurable 2 hours one afternoon.

Overall, I would give this hotel a 3 1/2 for all the amenites and friendly personnel. Housekeeping needs to be addressed as well as the BLEACH!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

What an incredibly detailed and helpful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and share your experience with us. As a management staff, we love hearing from our guests- always great to hear good, sometimes hard to hear the bad. As hard as it may be, your feed back is welcomed and we always appreciate knowimg what we can do to improve,
We also love to celebrate good! and pat our teams on the back for the great work they do.
We have truly grown as a team and strive to ensure we are a great product that new guests and returning guests will rave about. Thank you again and hope you come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Downtown SLC from July 10 to July 21 while we were in Salt Lake to adopt our baby. The hotel itself is just what you would expect - very clean rooms, safe environment, comfortable beds, and all the other amenities that come along with this brand that most are familiar with. We had a one bedroom suite and it was great to have our own space, full kitchen that really felt like our home away from home since we were there for so long.

We read reviews about the location being not far from the homeless shelter. While this is true, it did not impact our experience whatsoever. We felt perfectly safe at the property and loved the location. The Saturday Farmers Market is across the street and is a must-see. Plenty of great shopping (Gateway mall) and restaurants (don't miss Tony Caputo's Market & Ekamai Thai) within walking distance. Extremely easy access to the SLC airport and I-15/I-80 and downtown is a 5 minute drive.

What separated this property was the wonderful staff and superior service. We got to know the staff on a first name basis and they cared so much about us and our situation. (Having a newborn baby around draws attention and makes it easy to make friends!) The staff was extremely accommodating and went out of their way to ensure that we had the best experience possible. I can't say enough positive things about our experience at this property.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 20 are quiet, face to the West with good views of the mountains and away from the el...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank imcooker
Mele M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for the kind review. We truly enjoy guests that share their experiences especially since the occassion was so special! Good luck to you and your family and our Homewood Family hopes to host you again if you find yourselves in Salt Lake City!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed in Homewood suites for a couple of days on a business trip. Overall, the hotel was very nice and worth the price. They Free breakfast was very good, and the the free dinner was also very good. The rooms were clean and very large. I love the hardwood floors. That being said, there were a couple of minor issues. I am not sure if all the rooms were like this, but I could hear all the activity of the room above me. In addition, the wireless internet is atrocious. This is quickly becoming an issue of mine, but I don't think it is too much to expect decent wireless at hotels, and they need to work on that. Finally, check in was less than what I expected. I stood waiting while 2 staff member were talking to another guest about some issue they were having, while a manger just was standing staring off into space, and someone another employee kept walking in and out. I don't expect undivided attention, but I do expect someone to at least recognize my presence if I am forced to wait because of whatever issue you are having.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank georgeg844

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an informative review of our hotel. Our team appreciates your feedback and are extremely excited to share with you that we have upgraded our internet provider and have increased Wi-Fi speed by 100%.
We've also shared your review with our kitchen staff and have discussed how we can maintain and keep food fully stocked for the full hours of the dinner service. We would love to have you back so that we can show you your valued input is appreciated and how you've helpred us to improve and progess to being your favorite Salt Lake City hotel.