“Accessibility issues with non-floor seating”
Review of Abravanel Hall

Abravanel Hall
Ranked #48 of 160 things to do in Salt Lake City
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Returned to Abravanel Hall for another performance. This time we were seated in the first tier balcony, along the side. Our experience was negative enough that I thought I should warn people who are contemplating attending performances in those seats.

The Hall has very odd flow. Patrons are faced with MANY stairs to get up to balcony levels, followed by a lot of walking depending on which side you're on, or offered one extremely inadequate (in terms of size, placement, & speed) elevator. The performance we attended had a fair number of elderly patrons and they really were struggling.

Once getting to the balcony, we found that they were set on a slope (for sight-lines, I'm sure), resulting in some awkward walking if you're in heels or have mobility issues. And, once seated we found the seats themselves to be far too short, even for a 5' 2" woman with moderate heels. My husband is 6' and felt like his knees were by his ears. Sight-lines from our halfway back first row first balcony seats were not great for the opera we were attending.

I imagine that the balcony seating that is parallel to the stage does not have the slope issues, but those seats are pretty far back, so I'm not sure what the visibility would be like.

The alternative to balcony seating is floor seating, which we've had on a prior visit. However, the floor seats have no center aisle, so they are not a great option if you don't want to either crawl over people or be crawled over.

After two visits to Abravanel I've concluded it is only a place I'd return to for a performance that I really wanted to see (a once in a lifetime type of thing) or for one in which sight-lines are not important. It's a shame as the building's lobby is pretty, but as a venue for performing arts, I think it's poor.

1  Thank New2Cal
There are newer reviews for Abravanel Hall

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Utah symphony give remarkable performances here! Nice venue, seats are comfortable and the performances worth seeing. Plenty of nearby parking, on the Trax line right in downtown Salt Lake City.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have been to quite a few concerts here and subscribe to the lollipop series every year. The kids look forward to our stay up in SLC and going to "Here Comes Santa Claus" symphony. Besides the annual holiday show; featuring different themes each year, they have the spring performance as well. Our kids have been able to see Peter and the Wolf and introduced to The Magic Flute-two that really stick out in my mind. Looking forward to the upcoming performances.

1  Thank junebug0714
Reviewed September 30, 2013

It is a very beautiful building with fantastic architectural design. Of course, the Utah Symphony is the Best

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Perfectly designed for sound - music sounds great here. It is beautiful to see as well and has a spectacular Chihuly piece.