“Still Outstanding.”
Review of Cucina Toscana

Cucina Toscana
Reserve with OpenTable
Cucina Toscana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,394 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cross street: 300 South/300 West
Park City, Utah
“Still Outstanding.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was our first time to Cucina Toscana since there were significant changes to the management and the menu. We were not disappointed in the least, and my wife and I both feel that there has been no loss of quality in either the food or the service. We shared the Rigatoni appetizer, which was prepared perfectly (al dente, of course), then I had the fennel-crusted duck, which was always one of my favorites on the old menu. The preparation was somewhat different, but still delicious. And my wife had the orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe, a traditional Italian dish that doesn't find it's way onto too many menus here in Salt Lake. It was also fantastic, properly prepared and nicely seasoned. The chocolate soufflé for dessert, accompanied by gelato, was the perfect ending to an excellent meal.
One of the special treats at Cucina Toscana has always been the level of service, and again the restaurant has lived up to it's previous standard. Our server, Elizabeth, was knowledgeable about the menu, attentive, and provided us with the sort of personal attention one would expect at this price point. Yes, Cucina is pricey, but well-worth it for a special occasion or a nice night out on the town.

• Visited July 2013

“Disappointed! Kitchen Served A Raw Pork Chop:(”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has apparently changed hands recently. As others have reported it is not the same. We have been there once before and found it to be a unique, wonderful restaurant. We found an offer from Amazon for a half price meal. We were excited to go back. When we walked in things felt different. The lobby had changed and the people were different. The menu looked different and our server was not very helpful in figuring out the difficult menu. The meal started with a bread basket and some dipping sauce. We ordered a meat and cheese plate appitizer. From the pasta menu we ordered the Veal Lasagne. For the main entree we ordered the Pork Chop with beans. When the Pork Chop arrived it appeared under cook. The first bite was barely warm. When cut open the meat was raw and un-cooked. We informed the waiter. He tried to make a joke about how in the 1950s people worried about raw meat but now days things are different. We told him raw meat can make you very sick. He looked closer at it and asked what we wanted him to do. He offered to bring us something else and suggested Ravioli because it's always cooked. Soon the manager came by and asked if everything was okay. We told him about the meat. He said I know, I saw it. He appologized and walked away. Our server came back and said he wanted help. He offered to remove the raw meat entree from the bill if we'ld pay for the rest. We had already decided we would never be back. So it didn't really matter. I was really hoping to hear the manager back in the kitchen yelling at his chef about serving raw meat. But that didn't happen. Based on our experience I cannot recommend this resraurant. Hopefully this feed back gets back to the management and they use it to improve their customer relations. I hate to give any business a bad review but there was no choice here.

1 Thank utahMF
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Going downhill might be an understatement...”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We used to love Cucina Toscana's simple but very high quality offering, combined with its energetic ambiance. Yes it was pricey, but it was also of very high quality. Now...well it's still pricey...

We went on a Friday night, and were first surprised by the "emptiness" of the restaurant. Clearly something had changed. Asking what servers were available, we were disappointed to learn that all server we liked had moved to other opportunities, but were reassured that we would be placed in the area of the last server from Valter's era, Elizabeth.

She was great, and I would definitely ask for her again if we were to return because we felt like she saved the night by her professionalism and attentive service.

We started the evening by ordering antipasto and I was disappointed to learn that the zuppa cotta was taken out of the menu and replace by a similar soup. However, the restaurant did not carry any truffle anymore, so I would have to stick with truffle infused oil. I then decided to order a carpacio di bue, because I was in the mood for truffles. The presentation was nice and the beef good, but nothing was special, and the oil barely resembled truffle oil.

I ordered the house wine, but instead was brought another wine, chosen by our server. It was a great initiative because it was way better suited to the plate. (She also brought a sample of the house wine for comparison, and I would definitely not order it again.)

My wife wanted the traditional lemon-sage ravioli which ins't on the menu anymore (shame), but our server said they still had the recipe and could special order it. The chefs made something that looked like what we ordered, and that was edible, but was definitely not what we ordered.

Then, for the main course, my wife also ordered from outside the menu being assured that they still had the old recipe: the salmon alla mostarda. Another disappointment, the fish seems or tasted like individually frozen and the sauce was bland at most.

I had the parpadelle al pori, which was also tasteless. The presentation was great and the dish seemed pretty elaborated, but the taste was not to par. Too many ingredients, not enough symbioses.

We were then served the traditional hot chocolate, which was good, but very thin compared to what it used to be.

Finally, I ordered a tiramisu, which was good.

During the meal, we were looking at other servers, and the service level is now sub-part. In appearances, it looks the same, but the extra special attention and the flawless service of before isn't there. (As I said before, Elizabeth was great)

To summarize, if you like real high end italian food that doesn't bargain on quality and that does not need to look fancy to be delicious (Old Cucina Toscana) don't go to Cucina Toscana. It is now a typical italian Salt Lake restaurant... like olive garden or Tucci, but at a high price tag..

We will be going to Valter's Osteria this week hoping to find back that quality and atmosphere that we like.

1 Thank TommeeL
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good atmosphere, decor, service, and most importantly, good food!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After living in Italy for several years, it's almost always disappointing to go to an Italian restaurant in the US, it's just not the same, and I think, I could have done this so much better at home for way cheaper! Well, that wasn't the case with Cucina Toscana. There were things that were not the way they would have been in Italy, but we are in UT. Both my husband (who also lived in Italy) and I were very pleased with the food, we ordered antipasto, primo, secondo e dolce and everything was very tasty. We brought our own wine, so I'm not sure about the wine prices. Our waiter was pleasant and the manager of the restaurant was making sure everyone was happy. They were both outstanding really. We are also familiar with the chef, Elio, and were pleased to see he is still cooking authentic meals. It was very busy (it was Friday) and took a long time, but well worth the wait. It is something you want to make a night out of, not just a quick meal.

• Visited June 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
“The Best Meal and Dining Experience in Salt Lake City, UT”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our hotel concierge in Park City recommended this restaurant on the evening we planned to hear the Morman Tabernacle Choir practice. The restaurant location is close to Temple Square and that made it easy to go watch the Choir practice. Street parking was readily available. The ambience is upbeat, tables close together set with nice silverware and dishes. The menu is extensive allowing one to pick and choose from a wide selection of food. The complimentary bruschetta was good along with delicious bread served with a lemon olive oil.

I love beets and so the ROASTED BEET CARPACCIO for $10 was delicious. Just the right amount of tang in the dressing and I think a generous portion.

While I enjoyed the roasted beets, my husband loved the soup of cannellini, borlotti, mushroom and seasonal vegetables with truffle for $15. The flavors were rich and nicely combined...one of those soups with the first spoonful, you go ummm, this IS good.

We also ordered the Antipasto Tocano for $12 which included prosciutto, salami, speck, arista di maiale with salad of cannellini beans and pickled vegetables. This was probably too much food considering we were ordering salads and entrees too, but the ingredients sounded so delicious and I was not disappointed.

The tableside Caesar Salad was a highlight for me...expertly prepared by our server Randi this salad makes my mouth water thinking about it now. I'm not a big fan of Caesar Salad as I don't usually care for the dressing, but this Salad was perfectly dressed and again the dressing was delicious, not too tart and not too sweet. The portions were very large and I was glad especially after that first yummy bite.

My husband had veal piccata and I wish I had ordered that as it was delicious, just the right amount of sauce and not too many capers. I had a salmon special and it was good, but the fish was over sauced with a less than spectacular sauce.

The meal ended with complimentary biscotti and lovely, lovely hot chocolate.

And by this time we were very well satiated having enjoyed excellent food and superb service. This is a pricey restaurant, but felt we got quality food prepared very well and in a satisfactory quantity.

• Visited May 2013