“Great Mexican Food in Salt Lake City?”
Review of Red Iguana

Red Iguana
Ranked #4 of 1,390 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children
Tracy, California
“Great Mexican Food in Salt Lake City?”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The variety of moles and sauces with a huge selection of mexican dishes is almost overwhelming. Everything my group ordered was fresh, unique in taste, and delicious.
The service was fast, informative, and even patient for my group to finally decide on an order.
I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting Salt Lake City.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Logan, Utah
“Great food & a great value!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We ate here for my wife's birthday. We had to wait outside cuz it was busy as usual. They don't take reservations but they did have self serve apple cider for you while you waited because you are waiting outside!
They are famous for their mole. They will bring out all the different types of mole for you to try. You can have anything smothered in the mole. I had tamales which were good. My wife had enchiladas which were very good. The fijitas were said to be excellent but I didn't ever try them.
The service was good! They made a mistake on our order but corrected it quickly. They brought an extra tortilla to my bro-in-law without him even asking.
The staff was happy and grateful for the business and commented that they are "blessed" to be so busy. Great attitude! The meal for 4 was $50! That is a great deal! I literally paid more at PF Changs for 2 people the night before!

Visited December 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“One of the Best”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

While there are some hole in the wall Mexican spots I like quite a bit, the Red Iguana is our go-to if we're talking about dinner. You can order the traditional Mexican entrees here, but in my opinion, that would be a missed opportunity. Get something different... better.... The Moles are fantastic. Ask for a Mole sampler plate if you're not sure where to start. My favorite dish is called Puntas de Filete a la Nortena. (Thanks DT) Steak tips, bacon, tomatoes, serrano peppers and onions in an Almond Mole. It's rather fantastic. I shouldn't eat the whole thing, but sometimes do. I've been here many times... don't think I've ever been disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rabdau
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Marvelous Mole”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I think I saw this restaurant on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" but also received a recommendation from my neighbor. This place is wonderful. Great Mexican food. The most extensive menu of moles I've ever see. I happened to get there when there was no wait - Saturday late afternoon - and had a very friendly and attentive server. The food would have been well worth a wait had there been one. I chose the Emmoladas with mole negro. MMMMMMMM mole!!! Waiter also gave me a sampler of some of the others. A whole different world from the usual mole poblano (although I am a big fan) and a taste of heaven for those who love good Mexican food made with great ingredients with complex flavors.

• Visited November 2013
Utah
“Love this place!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Whenever I am craving good Mexican food and I'm in downtown Salt Lake City, this is where I go! Worth the wait and being cramped into a small place! This restaurant doesn't waste any space when it comes to seating people--it's pretty tight here. The chips were thin like I like them and the salsa was spicy and flavorful! As usual, I ordered the Red Iguana combination plate which is basically a little bit of everything. I think my favorite thing is just anything with their shredded beef! That had to be the best beef taco and tostada I have ever had! I don't think you can go wrong here, everything was great! That being said, my husband had some chicken plate that was so spicy hot that he said it was like eating a bowl full of chicken in Tabasco sauce--not sure what that was, but you might want to ask if a certain dish is very spicy before you order it. If they say yes, believe them! ;)

Note: I was very impressed when we went to this restaurant and their were outside heaters from above while you waited in line! (It may have actually been warmer outside under the heaters than in the restaurant--bring a coat with you!) Also, they had hot cider available outside.

• Visited November 2013