“People think the wait is justified”
Review of Red Iguana

Red Iguana
Ranked #4 of 1,390 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children
Leland, North Carolina
“People think the wait is justified”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The line for the restaurant was long, but patrons patiently waited for their turn. We lucked out because we were a party of 6 and the big table came available in about 5 minutes. With the first bite it became evident why people were willing to wait. The food was Mexican, but with a uniqueness that set it apart. We asked for a mole' sampler and got to taste all the really wonderful mole's sauces that were served that night. Everyone loved their meal and even though I had to wait for my meal for about 10 minutes after the others in my group were served, it too was worth the wait. The waiter brought our table a huge dessert in consideration for the delay in my meal. The waitstaff was attentive, friendly and informative.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California, United States
“You Wait for the Best”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Red Iguana is an iconic Mexican restaurant in Salt Lake City. The food is authentic and superb. When you first see the restaurant, you wonder as it is an old building brightly colored. There is nothing fancy from the outside, but it has tremendous character. When you see the people lining up around the building you sense there is something special going on inside and there is. There is even more character inside this building. Tables are close and the floors change levels as you wander into different rooms. It is an adventure. The waitresses are kind and service very good. The food tops everything off as the flavors are a feast for the palate. The menu is full of Mexican specialties all of which looked delicious. The sauces are their own originals and light the palate with flavors, not heat. Truly, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants anywhere. Restauranteur, Guy Fieri endorsed the Red Iguana as well! Note, unless early, waits can be lengthy, but for me it is worth it.

• Visited September 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Really?!? #1 in Salt Lake?!?”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

What does this say about the rest of the food in this town? Maybe it's because I tried something that I've never had before (mole) but I wasn't impressed with this place. I'm not saying that I wouldn't give it another chance the next time I'm in town but I will definitely order something different. I love Mexican food and am always looking for as authentic of a place as I can find. This place did seem to possess that quality but if that was authentic mole, then I think I'm done with mole. Red Iguana is obviously very popular with the locals because this tiny establishment was packed.....and it was a Wednesday night! It looks a little sketchy while driving by but don't let that scare you off. Some of the best establishments are dives which this place definitely is.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Legamania
Los Angeles
“Heard about it and was not disappointed”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Was in town for business and we all decided to try this place out after one of the guys had seen it on TV. We had 18 of us and even though there was a ton of people waiting outside, we got right in with our reservation. The service and food could not have been better. Everyone was extremely pleased at the quality. The waitress even gave us 18 separate checks and did not seem bothered by it at all. Highly recommend the place.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Excellent Mole!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This highly rated restaurant deserves its fame, but like every restaurant, it depends to a large degree and what you order... I will confess that the first couple of times I ate here I kept wondering what all the hoopla is about. Then I tried the enchiladas suizas with chocolate mole! The mole sauce is rich with just the right combination of chocolate and chili. My wife orders the shrimp quesadilla (an appetizer) and we share - portions are very large and chips and salsa are included.

The original Red Iguana starts getting crowded very early (5:30 p.m.); the Red Iguana 2, just a block south, is usually a little slower getting started - we find we can walk in if we arrive before 6:00 p.m. By 6:30 the wait gets pretty long!