“You Wait for the Best”

Red Iguana
Ranked #5 of 1,494 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Red Iguana is an iconic Mexican restaurant in Salt Lake City. The food is authentic and superb. When you first see the restaurant, you wonder as it is an old building brightly colored. There is nothing fancy from the outside, but it has tremendous character. When you see the people lining up around the building you sense there is something special going on inside and there is. There is even more character inside this building. Tables are close and the floors change levels as you wander into different rooms. It is an adventure. The waitresses are kind and service very good. The food tops everything off as the flavors are a feast for the palate. The menu is full of Mexican specialties all of which looked delicious. The sauces are their own originals and light the palate with flavors, not heat. Truly, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants anywhere. Restauranteur, Guy Fieri endorsed the Red Iguana as well! Note, unless early, waits can be lengthy, but for me it is worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,365)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

What does this say about the rest of the food in this town? Maybe it's because I tried something that I've never had before (mole) but I wasn't impressed with this place. I'm not saying that I wouldn't give it another chance the next time I'm in town but I will definitely order something different. I love Mexican food and am always looking for as authentic of a place as I can find. This place did seem to possess that quality but if that was authentic mole, then I think I'm done with mole. Red Iguana is obviously very popular with the locals because this tiny establishment was packed.....and it was a Wednesday night! It looks a little sketchy while driving by but don't let that scare you off. Some of the best establishments are dives which this place definitely is.

2  Thank Legamania
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Was in town for business and we all decided to try this place out after one of the guys had seen it on TV. We had 18 of us and even though there was a ton of people waiting outside, we got right in with our reservation. The service and food could not have been better. Everyone was extremely pleased at the quality. The waitress even gave us 18 separate checks and did not seem bothered by it at all. Highly recommend the place.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This highly rated restaurant deserves its fame, but like every restaurant, it depends to a large degree and what you order... I will confess that the first couple of times I ate here I kept wondering what all the hoopla is about. Then I tried the enchiladas suizas with chocolate mole! The mole sauce is rich with just the right combination of chocolate and chili. My wife orders the shrimp quesadilla (an appetizer) and we share - portions are very large and chips and salsa are included.

The original Red Iguana starts getting crowded very early (5:30 p.m.); the Red Iguana 2, just a block south, is usually a little slower getting started - we find we can walk in if we arrive before 6:00 p.m. By 6:30 the wait gets pretty long!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were a party of 8 with 3 adults and 5 young children. The service was impeccable. Sam was phenomenal! We had two little ones splitting bottled soda and before we could ask for two cups with lids there he was. We ordered appetizers after our food, and we still received the appetizers before the food. Our drinks were never empty and our needs were met before we knew what we needed. Now the food....they let you sample all the moles before you order, which was a blessing and a curse. They were all delicious, so then we didn't know what to pick. The Amarillo has a bit of a kick, but is fabulous. We also had the mango which is a bit sweet and spicy. Honestly, you can't go wrong with whatever you pick. We had a 3 yr old, and 6 yr old, who are picky eaters and they ate every bit. This is the only time on this whole trip everyone enjoyed what they ate and finished the whole thing. We leave Friday, but have already gone back and plan to take some home. Oh, and the salsa is fantastic. None of the tomato sauce disguised as salsa. It also has a small kick, but is flavorful as well. This place is awesome!