“Who would have thought it”
Review of Red Iguana

Red Iguana
Ranked #5 of 1,406 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children
Las Vegas, NV
“Who would have thought it”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Red Iguana looks like a place you wouldn't usually stop at except there is always a line waiting to get in. It took an hour to get in and get seated, but was worth the wait. Authentic and interesting Mexican fare. It was amazing how many locals were waiting in line with you. It isn't a tourist fad. it is a local tradition.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque
“Holy Mole this is the place”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Don't fret there is no iguana on the menu at this stellar little Mexican gem. There is however, a selection of excellent moles (Who'da thunk it in SLC near Temple Square?) Ask for a mole sampler. My favorites were the Poblano and the Amarillo with delicious moist shrimp. I understand there is normally a wait to get in (especially during Sundance when we were there), But we went at 4:30 in the afternoon there was no one there. Chips and salsa were above average and my companion really loved her chile verde burrito. Portions are generous and prices quite reasonable. Don't miss the Tres Leches.

• Visited January 2013
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Don't let the line scare you”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I ended up in Salt Lake City while doing a little road trip across the US last fall. Having done some research on Salt Lake before heading out on this trip, I knew that this was one place that I just had to try. My boyfriend and I went here for supper and almost turned back after seeing the massive line up outside of the restaurant..am I ever glad that we didn't! We had a 30 or so minute wait but it was worth every minute of it. The entire place was packed but we received excellent service despite this, and the food was to die for. They have the best mole north of Mexico...totally recommend trying this! Don't let the chocolate in the sauce fool you...if you are a bit sceptical they will let you sample the different mole that they make so that you can decide which one you like best. Our food arrived in just a few minutes of ordering. I was also worried that where it was so busy the waitress wouldn't have time to check up on us. This was a concern because I knew the food was going to be spicy and I would need a refill on my water. To my surprise the waitress was back every time my water was empty to fill it up. Overall this was probably the best restaurant experience of my life. Great food and great staff! If I remember correctly the food was a great value as well. Don't turn back because of the line or you're asking for disappointment.

• Visited September 2012
Kentucky
“Real Mexican food, really good”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

When staying overnight in SLC, we always eat here. Food is excellent and service is really friendly and good.

UK
“Great Mexican food in Utah? Yes!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Eaten at Red Iguana twice while on business in Salt Lake City. Great food and "hole in the wall" atmosphere. Servers are friendly and offer advice on exploring the extensive mole menu, adding a side of mole amarillo to a carnitas plate was an excellent choice. There are seven mole choices on the menu that go beyond the traditional poblano recipes... Well worth exploring if you can handle the heat.