“Lived up to the hype”

Red Iguana
Ranked #5 of 1,412 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Based on several reviews and recommendations, we just had to go here. First off we only had to wait about 10 minutes, so that was good. Once seated we were taken care of by the fast and friendly staff. I had never had Mole, so the waiter brought over a sample of all seven that they serve. Wow, they were all great. I did have a favorite, and the waiter suggested a dish for that mole. Wow was it good! They have a huge menu, so i will need to come back to try some other dishes.

There are newer reviews for Red Iguana

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The menu boasts specialties from different regions of Mexico. They have a very thorough mole menu. It has a normal Mexican atmosphere. The only downside is it is in a bad part of town. However, if you are looking for very good authentic food, it is worth the trip.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was told about the restaurant by a friend in Idaho. Idaho and Utah don't really have great Mexican food. I think what threw me is that I was expecting something different. I did not read the menu well enough and thought the enchiladas suizas were going to be traditional style but the menu does say with mole sauce so my bad. I will go back sometime and try their enchiladas potosinas.

The food was very good and served by a great staff. We got there early enough to be seated pretty quickly.

The jalapeno cucumber margarita was yummy. Great chips and salsa too!

I wish I had something more exciting to say but since I ordered incorrectly I cannot really rave over the meal. I did see several dishes that looked very tasty and mine was tasty it was just not what I was thinking it would be.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I would be repeating everything that has been written before about Red Iguana if I wrote a full review. We loved the meal, the service, the moles, the ambiance. We arrived with our luggage and skis on our way back to the airport from Park City and the manager even helped us carry our skis and bags to the back of the building where there are surveillance cameras so we could eat our meal without dragging all our luggage through the restaurant. The portions are huge and we sadly had no room for dessert. One plate of food can feed at least two people with a healthy appetite. We'll go back there any time we're in SLC. Cute merchandise too. Got a sweet Red Iguana baseball hat. Worth the wait in line. Goes quick and heaters help. If you go there, get the mole sampler to start.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have very similar latin american cuisine at dozens of similar restaurants across the U.S. For some reason Utah doesn't have very good restaurants like this so average gets oversold in SLC.

We waited for about 40-45 minutes on a Sunday night in February just to get a table by the door. It was a breezy dinner, but what do you expect in February in Utah. The menu is extensive, just don't expect to be wowed if you've been other places in the the U.S. (conversely don't expect to be disappointed if you've never left Utah).

The jalapeno rocks margarita was ok, it would be better if Utah let you taste the tequila though, but that is out of the restaurants hands. I was glad to see Negra Modelo on the drink menu as a diversion away from the not enough tequila margarita.