“Lovely evening and excellent service”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Ranked #177 of 1,390 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dip Into Something Different
Orlando, FL
“Lovely evening and excellent service”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Being huge fans of the fondue experience, we were thrilled to find a Melting Pot in Salt Lake City while visiting family. With our reservation, all our special requests were met including the multiple burner table. We were seated promptly on arrival and greeted warmly by the seating staff and our waiter.

The food was delicious, quickly prepared, but not rushed. Our server was quick to respond to all our requests for extra sauces, drink refills, and ingredient explanations.

• Visited July 2012

“Worst Melting Pot Experience. Ever.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We have been to Melting Pots all over the US. It's our favorite "special place". We've actually never had a complaint.

This one was very different, extremely disappointing.

We had reservations. Four adults & two kids.
When we arrived the greeting was less-than-warm and we were immediately seated at a table IN THE BAR. Totally inappropriate for children, even if the seats weren't TALL BAR STOOLS.
When we asked for a regular table the hostess seemed surprised and reluctant to move us. It appeared they wanted to keep us a corner.

The manager wandered over, found us a table and took our order for water and wine. Soon the waiter arrived and had great difficulty opening said wine. We ordered, and when our salads arrived there were ingredients missing from two of them -again not the seasonal salads, standard ones off the regular menu!

Meanwhile, in the middle of the restaurant, was a pharmaceutical in-service on a new med for treating cancer. We were able to hear, in great detail - via microphone augmented monologue, the presenter's ordeal surviving cancer! Not appropriate background for dinner - and I'm a Paramedic/Nurse!

Our food arrived much later than it should have. Two entrees were completely wrong. Both "seafood trio" were presented as a plate with CHICKEN and STEAK. The waiter seemed surprised. Who in the world can't tell the difference between mahimahi and steak? Or salmon and chicken? No apology, just "oops, I must have grabbed the wrong one." Even though we reminded our server we'd need plates for the kids, we were one plate short.

The temperature of the bouillon was never right, mostly too cold, even afte r multiple attempts from the waiter. Both batters to go with the frying pot had great difficulty sticking to the food; nearly all slidthe off and our oil was quickly filled with burned bits. The green goddess sauce, usually a thick creamy delight, was a thin runny mess with no flavor whatsoever. The Gorgonzola-port sauce was, "by the way, made with blue cheese 'cause we're out of Gorgonzola."

Our waiter was gone so long after dropping off the desert menu that another waiter had to take our order, and the manager had to run our credit card.

After all this, they had the nerve to add 18%a gratuity to the bill!

If this was our first experience it would be our last. Tragic for all the other Melting Pots as we'll be eating other places on vacation and sticking with the dozen we're familiar with.

“Great place to eat on special occasions!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Fun place to eat, yumilicious food, great way to have an intimate dinner for two for a few hours. The atmosphere is very romantic on one side, haven't eaten there with a group on the other side yet. Definitely go there for a birthday or anniversary, we always have the full course meal and love every minute there.

1 Thank skinzer1
Trappe, Maryland
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went to the Melting Pot in Salt Lake City for a special occasion. The food was really good and the service was outstanding.

Utah
“Poor experience”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have not dined here since the Olympics. I wasn't paying (gift certificate) or I would be more upset. I started with the Boston Lager cheddar cheese fondue. I tried to enjoy it but it tasted plain awful. I am not a foodie and have generous taste buds, so if I cannot palate it something is wrong! I just ate the raw apples and vegetables straight up. The bread was stale so I could not stomach it with or without the fondue. The second course was the Wisconsin wedge salad. It was a large wedge of lettuce (as the name implies), peppercorn ranch dressing poured over it, a spoonful of gorgonzola and three tomatoes on the side with a few applewood smoked bacon bits. I found this overly simple and uninspiring; it tasted like a cafeteria special. The third course was the meats that I cooked in a mojo flavored boullion. The sauces were a strange combo with the meat choices of lobster, steak, shrimp, pork, and buffalo chicken. The servings of meat were quite small and the only edible meat was the lobster. The potatoes, mushrooms and broccoli in the boulilion became mushy quickly.
The pure dark chococlate fondue was my dessert choice. The chocolate was fine but a little too sweet and the accompanying items to dip were poor. I did not care for the overly sweet, common items like brownies, rice krispy squares, and marshmallows. I would have liked to see more fruits besides the unripened strawberries and three banana slices.
The decor was dark and dreary and the restaurant had a cave like feel. The entire experience was a poor one. I will not be back again.