“Good Food + RUDE Hostess = Bad Experience!”

Jasmine China Bistro and Sushi Bar
Ranked #967 of 1,394 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Holladay, Utah
“Good Food + RUDE Hostess = Bad Experience!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just returned from lunch at the "Jasmine" and immediately decided to post my review. This is highly unusual for me but I unfortunately deemed it to be necessary.

Each month I go to a different restaurant with a group of 12 friends. Our "Lunch Bunch" selection for the month of June was "Jasmine China Bistro & Sushi Bar". We had called ahead for a reservation on the patio. Upon arriving we decided that it was far too hot to dine outside and requested the hostess to move us in. It was 12:00 and the restaurant was definitely busy. When we requested the move, the look on the hostesses face spoke volumes. She could barely hide her contempt. Since we were a large group, we told her that understandably this would take some time and our 12 ladies were in no rush. She gave no verbal response but stalked off to pull several tables together. I personally watched her slamming the silverware & water glasses down. She was clearly very angry and had no issue with allowing the other patrons a view of her fit.

We were seated in a fair amount of time which was terrific. Our various orders were taken and the food came out hot & quick. My lettuce wraps were very good with nicely seasoned meat & crisp, cold lettuce. Here is where the dining experience was ruined.

Our waiter was quite busy with our table of 12. He had to serve entrees, refill beverages and then make individual sauces based on preference of heat. He was clearly having difficulty when he asked the hostess "Miss Personality" to give him a hand. As she walked behind me I could hear her angry mumbling. Our waiter was busting his behind, then handing things to her to place on the table. This hostess literally threw the seasoned sauce onto each persons plate. I still can't believe that something didn't splash onto our clothing. The whole time, she openly scowled and showed her anger by grunting her response to anyone's request or question. This hostesses behavior was beyond rude!

Our food was good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately this one person had the ability to make our meal bad. By the time we had finished eating, we were discussing her behavior with other diners at various tables who were also witnessing her terrible attitude & behavior.

As a small business owner, I would absolutely want to know if one of our employees was so out of line. It simply is not enough to serve good food. A pleasant dining experience also depends upon the wait staff including the hostess. In this one area, "Jasmine" utterly failed.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank AnnetteUtah

“Disappointed in the food.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I drive by this place everyday and thought I needed to try it out sometime.Well, that was a horrible mistake. The food was just plain out bad. We got out food and it was cold. Probably had been sitting on the counter all day long. Then we ordered some sushi and it's the worst sushi I've ever had. Everything on it tasted old. I would recommend on not trying this place even if you drive by it everyday like me. :)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank trevorakbanks
Salt Lake City, Utah
“.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

it's a great restaurant but they got to hire more waiters that are at lest 50% fluent in English. it's hard to understand them and they don't always understand us. and there comes the messes on the order.
but the food is great.

1 Thank Ludka89
“Best combo Chinese/Sushi in town!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Excellent food, potstickers and egg drop are amazing, and good sushi. Also have a riverside patio!

1 Thank QFL247
Salt Lake City
“Hidden Gem in Holladay”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Okay sushi -excellent Chinese food! The seven of us (my family of four & grandparents) went on a Monday night and sushi was buy one get one 50% off. The sushi was a little grocery store quality -but my six year old son didn't care as he gobbled up a majority of the rolls! We ordered Chicken Lo Mein, Orange Peel Chicken, Salt & Pepper Chicken, Tempura Vegetables, and Sauteed String Beans. The Orange Peel Chicken is pretty spicy so our server suggested 'no spice' -it was still delicious (my three year old daughter gobbled it up). The women's restroom was very clean, the outdoor patio was beautiful and serene, and the server was kind, helpful, and efficient. We will visit again!

• Visited August 2011