“Good but not fantastic”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good but not fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Ok, I LOVE Indian food, and like other restaurant conisseurs, I compare my Indian dining experience. I got a coupon to the Star of India in SLC and was happy to go. Peshwari Nan bread, my fave. They made a chicken coconut korma for me, as I didn't see it on the menu. It tasted good. Nicely cooled place on a hot summer day. But I wasn't left feeling like it was the best Indian food I had had. Why's this? Partly the cooking, but mostly the server. She didn't go out of her way to "make us feel at home." She was short to order, only checked on us once, and was not on a good mood. Not my fault the server's not having a good day. She came across as being rude. Will I return? Not sure. It's close to where I live, but it's much like dating: there are plenty other fish in the sea!

• Visited September 2012

Banff National Park, Canada
“pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

food was quite good. service pretty lousy. walked a few blocks to get there - not the greatest area of the city. Restaurant seemed kind of worn out. Needs an update and staff could use a service course.

• Visited August 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Great food, great service! We couldn't ask for a better dining experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife, daughter and I decided to try Star of India, tonight. It was a great call. We enjoyed our meals and the service was terrific. I had the Chef's special dinner, which is a delicious sampler. It includes Tandoori chicken, prawn and lamb, mattar paneer, chicken tikka, rice, Nan and raita. The special was delicious from the first savory morsel to the last. Bring a big appetite if you order the special. It is big enough to feed two.

The menu has a great selection. There are several flavors of Nan. We tried the regular, garlic and peshawari. There are tandoori specialties, lamb, chicken, and vegetable curries, and seafood selections. The dessert menu is short. We didn't order dessert but had a small bowl of kheer that came with the special.

Service was great. Our meals were delivered fairly quickly after ordering. It seemed like every server stopped by our table to ask if we were enjoying dinner, top our soft drinks or pour more water.

Prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend Star of India. It has a well-deserved reputation and high rating. We only regret not having eaten there sooner.

Memphis, TN
“Good buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I tried the lunch buffet on a Monday and they had a good selection. There were vegetarian and meat dishes. The naan bread was delicious along with the tandoori chicken and the lamb vindaloo (I think that was the name of it). Most dishes were mild and a couple were spicier for the more adventurous. Most dishes had signs to give you the name, but some of them were missing and I would have liked the name to know what I was eating. Also, it would have been nice if the server came by to fill up our drinks more often. By the time I was leaving, more and more people were coming in so it must be a popular place. If I get to visit Salt Lake City, I definitely would like to come back.

• Visited June 2012
Gladstone, Oregon
“Lovely surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We didn't really expect to find an Indian restaurant in Salt Lake City but this one was great. The smell when we entered was authentic and we enjoyed the lamb vindaloo with rice and nan and mango juice. It didn't look like that much food but it was very filling. We were there early on a Monday night and so not many diners, but I would guess they get pretty busy other times. I'm getting hungry just thinking about this place!

Visited May 2012