“Almost Japanese Sushi”

Ranked #256 of 1,406 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Built in 1894 as a Lutheran Church, Ichiban Sushi has been housed in this historic building since 1996. Complete with original stained glass windows and choir loft tatami rooms, its understandable why everyone has dubbed our sushi as "heavenly". We proudly serve as Salt Lake's local favorite for sushi and japanese cuisine.
Oakland, California
“Almost Japanese Sushi”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I'm a "purist" when it comes to sushi. The taste of the rice, not bitter or sweet, the freshness of the fish, the way it's sliced, the size of the rice ball, etc. I prefer sushi sliced and served by a chef trained in Japan, or at least one trained by one who apprenticed in Japan. They do it right, unlike some of the other so-called sushi bars all over town. In my opinion Ichiban comes close to the ideal, although they do too many rolls for my taste. I like to sit at the long bar with one of the chefs making each individual order, followed by the next, from Hamachi (Yellowtail tuna) to Uni (Sea Urchin). Sushi should be eaten soon after leaving the chef's hand. If you're a novice, ask the chef what's fresh and try the cold sake on the dry side.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank pietrotak

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“My wife even liked it and she never wants to go out for sushi.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Every dish I had was fantastic. I know we are far inland but we are close to the airport. The last time we were there it was quite crowded but worth the wait. The atmosphere is pleasant.

• Visited January 2014
Idaho
“Great food!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

First time at this restaurant. Sushi was the best I have ever had, prices were very reasonable. Waitstaff could have been better but I will go again for sure.

Cocoa Beach, FL
“Wish we could give it 6 stars!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We visited Ichiban several years ago and all our children remembered was that it was good and that it was in an old church. Very glad that they had something original to remember it by. They did not disappoint. Not sure what others are saying about quality. We were all blown away by the food. Very fresh and original. We commend the chefs for being so accommodating us with the changes to our sushi. Our only suggestion is have the server get to us once seated a little sooner. After being seated, we waited over 5 minutes before being given water and another 5 before ordering a drink. All was forgotten when we taisted our 1st app. Great job Ichiban, though we are only in town once a year, we will make this a tradition.

“Heavenly Sushi in "Gods Country"”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Went to have a sunday night dinner with my wife and some family member as Xmas rolls around the corner. The food was excellent just as I recalled from a previous visit and the ambiance and decor of the restaurant is very cozy and modern at the same time. The service is friendly and efficient and the food is very good, The prices are very accessible considering the very good food and wonderful setting. Any sushi lover visiting Salt Lake City who wants a great meal at a reasonable price will not be dissapointed.

• Visited December 2013