“Not worth it”

Spencer's for Steaks and Chops
Reserve with OpenTable
Spencer's for Steaks and Chops is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 1,445 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Fine dining steak house modeled after a prohibition era speak easy. The original all Prime beef steak house in Salt Lake City! Excellent hand cut steaks, chops and seafood selections. We feature hand crafted cocktails, local craft beers and an extensive wine list with over 350 selections available!
Reviewed February 28, 2013

As you enter the restaurant your greeted by a hostess who promptly gets you to a seat, on this occasion I sat in the bar area, I ordered a wedge salad, as this was about all I was willing to spend. An average steak runs around $50.00, service is extremely slow. In this raters opinion you get better food at a more reasonable rate right next door at Olive Garden, plus the service is outstanding. Save your money and time and go next door to Olive Garden.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Price does not reflect service promptness unless you sit at bar. Food is good. I stay at the Hilton multiple times per month and find myself going here often. Nice wine list.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

On a skiing trip to Salt Lake City, my wife and I decided to splurge on a nice steak dinner, and went to Spencers's, located in the Hilton Hotel. Reservations were convenient with online booking, and we were seated in a comfortable booth. Service was excellent, with good information, suggestions, and attentiveness. The dining room, however was somewhat noisy, and seemed to have mostly business customers. Our main concern was the totally a la carte menu, with fairly outrageous prices for everything. I had a shot of Bushmill's (for $9), and my wife a simple 5 oz Kendall Jackson merlot (for $10; you can buy a bottle for that). We both ordered a 12 oz New York Strip steaks, and she had the mushroom option ($11), and I the pepper brandy option ($5). We both ordered the caprese salad ($12), but they brought me the Caesar ($10), which I did not argue about. I also got an order of Spencer Fries ($9), and a 5 oz glass of pinot noir for $13. The steak was great, cooked perfectly to medium rare, as ordered. Fries, mushrooms, and Caesar were good, but not exceptional. The total bill came to $184., including tax. All the a la carte items do add up, as well as the steak, which at $42 comes out to $56 a pound. If you can afford this, great, but all the prices seemed grossly inflated to us, since we are not on an expense account. I would only recommend this restaurant to those on business, or for a very special occasion, where cost does not matter.

1  Thank superchemist1
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife took me here for a birthday dinner before we went to see a show at the Capitol Theatre. Spencers validates parking at the Hilton, so you can park here for free (tip the valet), and leave the car while attending a play at the nearby theatre.

Because we wanted to eat before the show, we had a reservation for 5:15pm, which was very early; when we arrived the restaurant was very empty. We were seated near the back of the restaurant in one of the high-backed booths: these are not typical booths, but semi-circular seats so you can sit with your sweetie -- and the high back means that it's very private!

I ordered a rib steak and it was perfect! Spencers cooks steaks a little more rare than most places, so my medium rare arrived red in the middle -- exactly how I like it! For starters I had onion soup, which arrived piping hot with a thick layer of gruyere cheese baked on top.
Delicious! My wife started with a salad and then had ahi; she said both were delicious.

Side orders are large enough for sharing, but the choices all looked so good that we ordered two anyway! The sauteed mushrooms that my wife ordered were fantastic (even though she asked them to leave the bacon off), and the creamed spinach that I picked was only OK.

Both of us were stuffed after the meal, but then our waiter, Satan, tempted us with overindulging desserts, too. I went for the cheesecake while my wife chose the chocolate cake and ice cream. I don't know what comes after "stuffed," but that's what would describe us after we cleaned our plates for dessert!

The food is a little pricey, but it's in line with what you'd expect at a nice steak house. My rib steak was $52 and my wife's ahi was slightly less expensive. Appetizers and side dishes were addition. All together, for the food, dessert, and my wine, the bill was $160.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Positives: Spencer's Salad is amazing. Warm environment. Nice drink list.

Negatives: SLOW service even though not busy. Over priced for sure. Bartender is NOT friendly.

Sat at a regular table after grabbing drink from bar. (Tender acted inconvenienced I was drinking???). Waitress was slow and belongs at a Chilis, not a steakhouse claiming to be high end.