“Visit the original for the best service and experience!”
Review of mazza

mazza
Ranked #94 of 1,494 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Mazza Middle Eastern Restaurant in the "15th and 15th" area of Salt Lake City is consistently the best place to visit for your hummus and falafel cravings! They're also experts at everything else on the menu! I've watched this place grow and change over the years and to be honest it has only improved with age.

This is the little hole in the wall that spiraled off its second location in the "9th and 9th" area. I prefer the original location to the second one. It is more homey. The 9th and 9th located, while classier and with more seating has such a different look and feel.

Both locations are nearly always busy and the service is generally friendly at both restaurants. Definitely should be on your "must visit" list!

1  Thank geo_chic

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We did not make a reservation since it was a monday night. It was still busy even on a monday night. I now know why. The food is very good. I had the Eggplant grilled with spices served over basmati rice, side salad served with garlic sauce (very strong-loved it). We ordered kabobs, falafel, and an order a fries which were delicious. The chef really knows a thing or two about seasoning food. They made us feel at home while setting up a table for a large party during their dinner rush. Awesome service! Parking is a little tight but you can find something in the 9th and 9th neighborhood. They are priced reasonably, the egg plant dish was $11.00. Wine list is nice and there is a wine for every palate, it seems. I didn't use the rest rooms but the dining room was clean. Give it a try!

1  Thank yaisou
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place has two locations--9th & 9th and on 15th & 15th. I was at the latter. It is a small, quaint eatery with excellent service and equally excellent food. I had the lamb kebab on Mazza's special rice. Wow! My eating companions had the falafal on rice--wow again! Prices are extremely reasonable.

1  Thank Pam P
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our hummus, mujadara, and chick-pea tomato mixture were very good. My husband liked the vegetarian grape leaves more than I did, but I am notoriously critical of grape leaves. Cute atmosphere on a quite street, friendly service. Would go back. Good pita bread too.

1  Thank Steph0722
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My coworkers and I went to the Mazza Restaurant on 15th and 15th on a Tuesday evening. The restaurant is small, but there was no wait. I ordered the Chicken Kabob over rice. The food was OK. Just a few small pieces of chicken over a plate of rice. Not the most appealing presentation to the eye, but edible. The real surprise was when the check arrived. The total at the bottom of the check included a 20% gratuity which included a portion for gratuity tax. I don't mind if the restaurant helps by indicating how much a 10, 15 or 20% tip would be at the bottom of the check, but to include it in the total price for a single meal is rather presumptuous. And a gratuity tax! Is that legal? We asked the waiter about the gratuity tax and he said it was a glitch in how the cash register was programmed. Also it looks like they didn't charge the 1% Utah meals tax. Maybe the State of Utah Tax people should look into this?