“Sugar House Delight”

Cross street: 2100 South/1100 East
Atlanta, Georgia
“Sugar House Delight”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We found this restaurant on a web site and thought why not visit the Sugar House area and try a new restaurant. We were delighted with our decision. Despite a storage disaster with their white wines just before opening the staff was calm and attentive and did their best to make the evening special. We began with seared scallops on a bed of homemade sauerkraut with bacon pieces and a puree of celery and sweet potato. This was followed by the signature charred Caesar salad which is a must have item and large enough for sharing. My wife chose the Idaho trout main course and I chose the salmon encased in a paper wrapper. Each dish was perfectly prepared and presented. For dessert we chose the tartan which came with vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted applejack cereal. Even the bread and butter service is worthy of note due to its quantity and the quality of the French breads. Despite the wine loss we had a crisp Champagne which was a perfect compliment to our meal. We must come back to Salt Lake and this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank James C

Salt Lake City, Utah
“A Real Chef in the Kitchen!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Unlike so many Salt Lake restaurants, Caterina's chef is clearly present in the delicious and balanced food he offers. The vegetable side dishes--all individually spiced and/or herbed--are masterful. Potatoes gratin, sautee of sugar snaps, corn and cherry tomato succotash, eggplant puree-- The guys in our party approved of the lamb meatballs and pork loin, too. The only weak spot was dessert--the tarte tatin and molten chocolate cake were good, but not up to the quality of the entrees or appetizers. It's a huge cavernous space (a former post office) with some beautiful furnishings (check out the chandeliers and the breakfront).

• Visited July 2013
“An Undiscovered Gem”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Caterina seems to be coming into its own by finding its identity through excellent food. We had the corn soup and gazpacho as well as the duck confit appetizer, all of which were excellent. For entrees, the pork tenderloin, salmon wrapped in phyllo, and steak were exceptional. Citrus dressing over the pea and arugula rice accompanying the salmon was the perfect combination. We unabashedly licked our finger drippings from the apple tartan and salted carmel sauce. Overall, maybe not traditionally French but a more eclectic mix of Euro-American dining at its finest. A hidden gem in the Sugarhouse area. Unfortunately the construction across the street detracts from enjoying outdoor dining. The June heat drove us into the cool and beautifully appointed interior, which is lovely and elegant

• Visited June 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
“Better than expected”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

After reading reviews on line and in print, my expectations for Caterina were not high, but I was curious enough to try it none the less. Thinking maybe the bugs had been worked out by now, my husband and decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. Granted strawberry gazpacho with slices of olive and crisply fried mint leaves doesn't sound authentically French - but really, Spain is not that far from Provence. And whatever its pedigree, it was splendid. Given the broad spectrum and ever more eclecticism of French food, the main dishes we ordered could easily be classified as French, even though the salmon was wrapped in filo. The prerequisite sauces were there on both our plates, and the presentation with veggies and rice reminded me of many dinners I've enjoyed in bistros in France. The tarte tatin was a bit unorthodox, with the homemade applejack coating of the ice cream and there was a certain sweet-saltiness in the tarte that was unusual, but I found it refreshing. The wine list is short but the selections we had by the glass were quite good. The portions are more generous than one would find in France, but who's complaining. The prices are reasonable, considering the quality of the ingredients and their abundance.The service was attentive, but not intrusive. Parking is plentiful and easy in the shopping mall lot behind the restaurant. As others have noted, the ambience is ambiguous. The indoor area is spotless but seems awfully formal, with it's crystal chandeliers and large antique cabinet. The background musak may have been intended to soften the mood, but it seemed out of place to me. It was too windy to dine on the patio the night we were there but the exposure to the sun before sunset and the noisy traffic on Highland Drive would have deterred me from that option anyway. Perhaps it would be possible in the future to screen the patio off more from the street. It is otherwise a pleasant looking space. In sum, we will definitely return to Caterina and recommend it to our family and friends.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SarahMacDillon_2005
SLC Utah
“Jean Louis can do better than this.”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Okay, I love French food. So when I heard Jean Louis from Park City was the new chef here, I was looking forward to this. It is in the old Sugarhouse Post office. Upon walking in, this restaurant is located in a space that occupies the front of the building, maybe 15 tables. The really great area is behind it and used for functions. The place is a plain jane interior. While the menu is short, what was offered was okay but not very French. Upon getting our dinner, my companions food was ice cold. They said "sorry" and went on their way. Service was spotty at best. My dish was okay but again not very French. Jean Louis was out front greeting his old friends and chatting while he should have been in the kitchen. I was really looking forward to a new French restaurant, this is not it. Go to Francks.

• Visited February 2013