“Great Food and Service”

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Columbia, MO
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We love Ethiopian food and try to find an Ethiopian restaurant at each major city we stop. Mahider had great food, at a reasonable price and the service was wonderful, even though one waiter had close to 15 customers. No complaints at all.

• Visited October 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Just like homemade food :)”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had a great experience all the way from making a reservation to walking out the restaurant. Admittedly, we were slightly nervous as we were driving to the location because the area looked a little seedy inspite of being only 2 miles away from the beautiful downtown location that has lovely restaurants and the temple square. But that was immediately dissipated as we pulled into the plaza that has other ethnic restaurants in there and it felt pretty lively. I loved the decor - the walls painted with the local scenes from Ethiopia. They had a beautiful note placed on the table indicating a reservation was made for me. We chose to order the family meal that offered everything from beef to chicken to various types of lentils/peas and fresh veggies and more than you can eat "injera" which is their healthy form of bread/crepe. All the flavors were fresh and we just gobbled up everything not worrying about having to eat from the same plate. In between waiting for tea and the meal, I enjoyed visiting the market and checking out their local goods.

The pricing is also very reasonable. To order one family meal for 5 people costs about $8/person.

• Visited August 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Love this place”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

It's located in a strip mall about a mile south of downtown, right on State Street. I love these little hole in the wall places.

Very friendly staff!!! And the food is amazing. I've been to other Ethiopian restaurants, both in New York and Salt Lake, and Mahider has the best food. I've taken a couple of friends that have never eaten Ethiopian and they came away fans after their initial apprehension with eating with their hands. Great blend of spices to make the food very tasty and the bread was just right. Not too sour, but just enough to give it some flavor. Can't wait to go back again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank shake801
Ogden Utah
“Wonderful Food and Service”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Location: Right on State Street but you could drive by the strip mall location easily especially at night. Worth several U-Turns. Atmosphere: for me, the atmosphere was great. Going inside seeing the decorations, staff, and smelling the food right when you walk in transports you somewhere other than Salt Lake. Food: quality, taste, diversity all outstanding. We had the sampler “taste of Mahider” which for two of us was more than we could eat. I’ve eaten at allot of places but no Ethiopian restaurants. I don’t know if I would want to try another because I think my experience could only be a letdown to bar that was raised by Mahider.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank TimSS
Hamilton, MT
“Great Ethioian food, casual atmosphere”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I LOVE Ethiopian food and as a result I try to eat it wherever we live and/or travel. What you get at Mahider is about as good as you will find anywhere.

We had the "Taste of Mahider" sample platter, which includes a combination of about 8 meat and vegetarian dishes and it provided a nice variety of dishes (they also had meat-only or veggie-only sample platters). Depending on individual taste some dishes are a little better or a little worse than at other good Ethiopian places we have been to, but all are excellent. In particular they have an interesting take on Alicha which features aspargus rather than potato and is excellent. The sambusas were also different than other I have had before and after the addition of a little cayenne (available on table) to the lentil/veggie one were delicious.

The atmosphere is very casual and the serving staff are attentive. Also the food was extremely quick in arriving, which in my experience is not always the case with Ethiopian restaurants.

• Visited October 2012