“Needs an update and better pillows”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, OR
“Needs an update and better pillows”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I was dissapointed with this hotel. I was booked here by Delta when my flight connection at SLC didn't make it. The hotel shuttle service was great (runs every 20 minutes!), and I was glad to get to my room quickly. Also, the staff were very personable.

But that was where my positive experience ended. The room had a kind of musty smell like it had once been a smoking room, or maybe because of the cleaners that were used. The carpets were old and had some permanent stains on them. The furniture was old and worn. The bed (I was in a room with two doubles) wasn't very comfortable, and the pillows were terrible (too big, and not comfortable for your neck). The shower was cold for about 10 minutes until it finally warmed up to a tolerable level (still not 'hot' though). I found a broken lanyard on the ground in plain sight, which told me that the cleaners didn't have time to give a thorough look around the room. I also found a big hair in the shower.

All in all, it probably wasn't the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, but I wouldn't reccomend it, given the price point that the Red Lion generally tries to play in the market.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
mmundel, General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear davedyk,

We are so sorry that the room accomodations that you experienced were less then desirable. I do appreciate the favorable comments to start off your reveiw so thank you for pointing out the good things as well.

We have been adding some cosmetic things to the hotel this month (November 2010) so much of our hotel has improved even in the short time frame from your comments. It has been a busy Summer and many of your comments remind me that there is a lot of work to do to as we strive to improve the comfort and cleanliness of our hotel through the slower winter season. I will ensure you that we will take your comments to heart and work to improve the items you listed.

We hope you will consider us again if your travels take you to Salt Lake City. We would love to show you our new rooms and have you walk away with a great impression of what Red Lion Hotels are striving to be.

We appreciate your business and comments very much, take care and safe travels.

General Mananger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
British Columbia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was our third stay at the hotel. Although we didn't eat at the restaurant we had the free shuttle to the airport and back which was nice. When we arrived we stayed on the 9th floor, room was clean, bathroom was clean but it would be nice if the TV was a modern flatscreen. The reception was fuzzy but son rattled the cords in back and it worked fine. Long walk to downtown but free tram was 1 1/2 block away and we were able to use Hotel shuttle when we asked. Even though shuttle was free we spent $30 in tips so were reluctant about using it all the time. Overall experience was good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Dalbinder
mmundel, Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Dalbinder,

Thank you very much for your positive response to staying with us last week. We appreciate the positive feed back. Regarding the fuzzy TV's, I am glad to inform you that we will be receiving new flat screen TV's at the end of October so we are very excited about that.

We hope you will be able to visit Salt Lake soon and allow Red Lion Hotels to serve you again! Take care and safe travels!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I came there with the tour group. Service is good: they have free shuttle bus to airport and temple squre, a small pool, breakfast buffet. Just only a little expensive.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank baiyayue
Dear Baiyayue,

Thank you for choosing Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake City when you visited Salt Lake last week. I appreciate the positive feed back you gave and was very excited to see that you would recomment this hotel to others when they visit. I am glad that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service while visiting us. We really work hard to take care of all guest requests for shuttle service and I am glad were able to accommodate your needs.

I might suggest going to REDLION.COM for the lowest rates available. We gaurantee the lowest rates on this our websites to take a look and we hope to see you in the near future!

Take Care and Safe Travels!

Reviewed October 6, 2010

very attentive staff.
hotel is a little dated but they make up for it in their service. I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank dannieleflores123
Dear Dannieleflores123,

Thanks for your comment on Trip Advisor about your last stay with us. Even though your comments were brief, we appreciate your time and recommending this hotel! We hope we can be of service to you in the near future!

Take care and safe travels!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My wife and I checked in and went out for dinner, drinks, and dancing. When we returned to the hotel, we turned out the dim lamp and went straight to bed.

I awakened the next morning to see a dark spot on my pillow under my face. I lifted my head and realized it was blood.

I then woke my wife up and asked if I have blood on my face. She said “no”, I further looked in the mirror and nothing. We then pulled our blankets off of the bed to find more blood spots on her side of the bed and at the foot of the bed... in fact we found 3 bloody spots on the sheets and one on my pillow.

I called the front desk to advise them and they sent the manager of housekeeping to our room. By the time she arrived to our room, I had checked under our bed and there was someone’s underwear along with a bunch of crumbs or something beneath our bed. It was obvious our room had not been cleaned.
The housecleaning manager apologized profusely and said she would send someone immediately to clean our room and change out sheets. We didn’t want to hang out in the room and relax, like we had intended, while it was being cleaned so we left for a couple hours. When we returned, the room appeared clean and the sheets and pillow cases had been changed but when we looked under the bed, the men’s underwear were still there and under the bed was still filthy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
mmundel, Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Dear Williamx,

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to talk to you on the phone and resolve the issues you had with your stay. As I stated when we spoke, I am so sorry for the challenges you experienced and I have followed up with with all the departments and personell involved to make sure we learn from this experience and not have it happen down the road.

I am excited that you were willing to come back to our hotel to celebrate your upcoming anniversary! We will be ready to serve you upon your arrival and work hard to make up for the challenges you experienced last time.

We appreciate your comments, your business and the openeness you have showed to us in allowing us to make things right.

Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

OXFORD UK
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Stayed here as part of a tour group. Whilst on tour most of the accomodations were fine this property was very surprising, beautiful room with a balcony where the windows opened( when you are a smoker this is so much appriciated) beds were very comfortable and the decor was lovely. Went to the sky bar for a cocktail with my elderly mother and the girls that served our drinks were so very polite and very helpful in helping us chose a drink.l We ate in the coffee shop? downstairs and again the service was so very friendly and the food was good. Would i stay again...oh yes. Would i recommend...definately! Oh and also used the pool. Was so nice after a day travelling in the heat to have a swim.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank ladyluck788
Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Nice location, clean room, VERY friendly and helpfull staff. Little things here and there are showing signs of age - but if that doesn't bother you then this is pleasant stay while in Salt Lake City. Only complaint is that the entrance to the sky bar was very noisy at night (till 2 am) with drunk patrons coming in and out and some hanging out in the parking lot. Very convenient shuttle service to/from airport.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
mmundel, General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear LifeOfTrip,

Thank you for your comments regarding your last stay with us. It sounds like it was a good stay with us and we appreciate you leaving the feedback.

I am sorry about the inconvenience of the noise at the SkyBar entrance. I will pass along this comment to our security team and instruct them to keep a better eye on loud patrons coming or leaving the hotel through this entrance.

We hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Again, your comments are very much appreciated and did not go unnoticed!

Take Care,