“Red Lion SLC; Better than expected”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary
“Red Lion SLC; Better than expected”
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Shuttle was prompt to and from the airport. Doorman attentive and opened the door for us at check-in. Check-in was fast. Hotel is divided into a tower section (with a Skybar) and a lower, three-sided suite stay. Avoid the partgoers and stay in the three sided, lower tower.
Room appeared recently renovated; new lighting, Bath and Body amenities, and faux Granite countertops (but nice) and ample pillows. King sized bed (pushed together two full size beds) would serve as tattletale that the room was not fully refurbished. Sadly, there is no breakfast room service card to hang on the door prior to retiring for the night, meaning you must get up and order breakfast or trust an order placed the night before was documented and correctly prepared for delivery at a specific time. Diner off the lobby was very good with friendly, attentive service and generous portions of quality food. Overall good value for price paid.

• Liked — Access to airport and downtown.
  • Disliked — Smallest TV I had ever seen
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Notam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Missouri
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I spent three nights at the Red Lion for a conference. The conference was at Little America, which is adjacent to the Red Lion. The hotel shuttle from the airport was efficient, and the driver was courteous. Check-in was fast and friendly, the room was clean and made up every day. Everything that was supposed to keep water inside (toilet, pipes) did so, and everything that was supposed to let water run out (faucets, drain) did so as well, without undo noise. The hallways reminded me of the tri-wing hotels in Las Vegas, with elevators in the center, and a little maze to negotiate to get to your room.

Salt Lake City has some interesting liquor laws, which I understand were even more restrictive prior to the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. To drink in a bar, you must be a member of a private club. Memberships, granted immediately upon payment, are available for $4 for three weeks, and this allows you to bring in seven additional guests. All the beer is 3.2%, and the mixed drinks are similarly proportioned. If you visit a place that brews its own beer, and there are several, there's no membership, and mixed drinks are still available. You're automatically a member at the hotel you're staying at.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank CeeJayRocker
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 21, 2007

I won this room for $36./night on Priceline and would have been happy to pay more. My room was small but clean, the staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel has free parking. The bed was a pillowtop and had lots of pillows on it. There's even an outdoor jacuzzi and pool.

My one complaint is that the bottom half of each wall outlet did not work on 3 of the five room outlets (?!) and i had to buy a multiprong outlet so I could use my nightstand light and the clock radio at the same time. Odd.

Oh and avoid the overpriced diner located off the lobby. There's plenty of places to eat nearby that are better and cheaper.

I'm not sure why other people posting had such a bad time at the Red Lion. Maybe I got lucky but I think either they're too picky or they paid too much and expected more! This hotel is totally fine. Just don't pay more than $99 a night and you'll be satisfied.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank tobeginwith
Claymont, Delaware
Reviewed October 21, 2006

I was nervous about staying here because of some of the "iffy" reviews. In reality, for me, it was not perfect, but fine. They are doing a nice job in trying to get things all renovated, and indeed, my room was renovated. But they miss the mark on some things. My room was dusty, and the airvent in the ceiling by the door was so dusty that, well, I noticed it. The thermostat was grimy too. The new furniture, wall coverings, curtains, drapes, ceramic tile, rounded shower bar, big shower head, attractive lighting were nicely done in muted colors, and up-to-date styling and expectations. The spa type of amenities were a nice touch, with generous sized soaps. I found the bed to be totally comfortable ,and the fact that I had 4 pillows on each bed was great...no calling down for extras. There was a small hair dryer, iron/ironing board, small TV with so-so reception and limited channels, wireless internet which was free, but hard to access.

But I just got the feeling that the place was a little dirty around the edges for all the nice newer renovations.

Something that bothered me, that just might not bother another person, was the icky signs in all the elevators advertising the "Skybar" on the 13th floor. And by some of the "types" hanging in the lobby, I guess their advertising worked. I would think families and serious business typed would be put off by this...I was for sure.

The front dest people were friendly and accomodating to the point of reassigning me a new room when I checked in (as part of a larger group) because I did not want to be near the elevators.

All in all...a fine stay for my overnight, but not without some problems.

• Liked — Price, newly renovated, amenities.
  • Disliked — A bit grimy, the signs for the "Skybar' Iin the elevator.
  • Tips/Secrets — Higher up, east side of the building will have mountain views, and sunrise views.
  • Stayed September 2006
4 Thank Splanky
Seattle
Reviewed October 1, 2006

I had to stay at this hotel due to business requirements. Would have preferred a Hilton. Front desk was slow to answer simple questions. Dining room took an hour and fifteen mintues to deliver a simple salad to my room- The wall paper was peeling off the walls, the bathroom tub water never turned off, there were cobwebs above my mirror in my bathroom. It took three phone calls from my room to the front desk to set up a wake up call- dinners were cold and service slower. Ugh! Not sure the towels were ever changed as they were always dingy gray and not white- found a sardine cantainer on the lobby table while leaving one morning- Service staff always had an excuse and there were no managers to be found!

• Liked — Getting to checkout
  • Disliked — The entire thing
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose a Hilton
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank KB4731

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed September 18, 2006

I wasn't sure what to expect. I got a Priceline price of $40 a night. The hotel is a bit older and has changed owners many times over the years. My experience there was very good. Upon check-in, I asked if my room would be in the new section. I was told that all of the rooms are newly renovated with the exception of the suites. The desk clerk was very helpful. My room was very nice. Great bed which was very comfortable. Nice amenities.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ruralemt
Madison,Wisconsin
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We just had a pleasant 3 night stay at the Red Lion. Our room was very clean and was updated within the last 3-5 years at the most. The beds were incredibly comfortable. We had 4 fluffy pillows to each bed. I would love to have a bed like that in my home. The room was on the 11th floor making it 2 floors under the night club, we were directly under ithe club too, but I could not hear a thing from it.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The shuttle drivers were friendly and drove sensibly. We were 5 blocks from the convention center and had planned on walking there each day, however, the blocks are considerably large in Salt Lake so it was a wonderful advantage having the shuttle there to take us. I would definitely stay at the Red Lion again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business