“Run down and needs a thorough cleaning. Nice to have club on top.”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Both rooms were in need of repair and a real cleaning. No real cleaning job and no repairs done in years. I like the fact I can eat and drink and not have to leave the hotel but not the most enjoyable experience. The manager of this hotel must start doing repairs as they come to his attention. Sky bar is a nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We arrived at the hotel and the room they gave us was already occupied. I went back down to the lobby and they immediately apologized and gave us a penthouse room. This was quite a surprise. At the end of our stay, one of us was not feeling very well and just one of us went down to the breakfast buffet. They found this out and made an entire breakfast to be brought to the room for the person who was ill. You don't find this kind of service at the finest of hotels. We stay in Salt Lake City quite often. This is the hotel we will stay at from now on. Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2009

"My friends and I stayed here over the winter. My friend booked it because he was "on a budget." The price showed. It was a bit dingy and run down. I probably would not stay there again. Wifi did not work in our room. There is a ski shop right across the street at which we got discounted tickets for Park City. The lobby had discounted tickets for Snowbird.
If you're looking for especially clean with luxury and comfort, this is not the place for you. If you're just looking for decently priced place with a bed and central location, this is for you."

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2009

This Red Lion is in a good location, and what I liked most about it is the comfortable, new bedding, towels, chair and shower curtain. The carpet seemed new and everything was spotless. The bathroom was too small (I was glad I was solo), but had a nice stone counter and nice big mirror. Fixtures were ok, but broken handles on some drawers. The big view window was dirty from winter storms and should have been washed by June! The closet doors are the originals and when I tried to open them, they fell off! No fridge/refreshments in the room. Local calls were 50 cents. They advertise a business center, but what that means is one computer in the lobby that charges $2.95 every 15 mintues. So, lug your computer along! The lobby is odd--very little counter space and cramped. They had one underexperienced and overworked clerk at the desk most times, and she had to multitask, so often I was standing their waiting too long to get attention.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I had myself and four others attending a conference in Sal Lake City last week. I was a bit hesitant to book this hotel because of some of the reviews. Well.... ignore that. This is a very acceptable hotel with a great staff. We booked four rooms through Expedia. All were decent, clean and comfortable. The front desk and staff were great. Several things we needed help with were addressed quickly and easily by them. For food go to the Olympus Cafe. The work out room although not big had very decent equipmentBetter than the one right off the lobby. Great deal, very acceptable rooms!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Stayed there on an over night get-a-way with my wife. It was very nice and close to all downtown attractions. There are several dinning options on site and even more close by. One of the best night clubs in town is on the top floor. Hotel guest get VIP entrance to the club. Also close to public tranportation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rogich24
Reviewed April 7, 2009

The Red lion provided poor service, and a poor product. There are more cons than pros at this place… and I will definitely try somewhere new next time.

First, the Pro’s

Free Parking
Free Airport Shuttle
Free wifi
Decent Location, close to Little America

Cons
Rooms are pretty worn. I know I am not the first person to ever stay in these rooms, but everything seems beaten up.
Heating and cooling does not work well. Basically you have one temperature, and you can control it by opening or closing your balcony door
Customer service was pretty poor. I felt like I was bothering them with simple questions.
Rooms felt dark, and fairly dirty.
The Sky Bar.

DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU NEAR THE SKY BAR. I cannot say that enough. There are two towers in the hotel. Do anything within your means to make them put you in the tower without the sky bar. We had many problems with our rooms (First room directly under sky bar and next to the elevator, second room had no water?, third room was on our last night), but the most annoying thing was the Sky Bar. We stayed on the 8th floor the first night, and Until 2 am it was like the dance floor was in your room. We got absolutely no sleep until 2 am. Also if you are put next to the elevator, you will hear it all night long taking people from the ground floor all the way up to the Sky Bar. The second room was on the 5th floor, and we still heard the sky bar. Not nearly as loud, but I could still tell what song was being played. No sleep again until 2 am. The last room on the 3rd floor was fine. Be careful though because many of the rooms on the lower floor are literally right outside of the entrance to the Sky Bar, which attracts a unique clientele. On our first night, a woman knocked on our door trying to sell her services… no thanks! Had we been placed in the other tower on our first night, I probably would have had a completely different experience. I actually felt bad for the front desk people, they must get the same complaints over and over again about that stupid bar! Security does seem to be an issue. What’s stopping Sky Bar guests from getting to my floor? Also, almost daily homeless people in the parking lot asked me for money. They were very friendly and not pushy at all, but still… not something I want to have to deal with.

The business center was a computer in the lobby that was down for the whole time we stayed there. The views from some of the rooms are wonderful, but I would rather have a view of a brick wall and get some sleep than be near the sky bar.
The rooms definitely need refreshed as well. All of the furniture looks like it has been beaten up for many years. A few different sets of sheets had small holes in them. The televisions are so small that they are almost laughable. Where do you even buy a TV that size? (The answer is that they don’t sell them that small anymore)

There are plenty of other options right in the area. Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Embassy Suites are all within a block of this place and I guarantee you will get a better night sleep for the same price or even cheaper. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple