“Good Front Desk Service”

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Good Front Desk Service”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The hotel seems pretty well run and the front desk staff are always eager to assist. The room is a reasonable size and the bed gives a comfortable night's sleep. A couple of points I need to make. In the documentation for the hotel it gives instructions on what to do if there is a fire. It gives instruction to open the window, yet the locking mechanism has been removed, making this impossible.

Also, when using the Internet I continually got weird webpages from a company called CenturyLink trying to redirect me and telling me I had a virus on my computer. I showed the lady at the front desk and she said that it's not the hotel's ISP provider. Since leaving the hotel I have not had these webpages appear again. So the system really needs to be looked at as other less tech savvy computer users will be confused.

I did also request a room with a view of the mountains. I understand that requests can't always be granted but would be surprised to if every single other guest also requested the same. The hotel is in a reasonable spot. Further into the downtown area there are people constantly asking for money. I didn't see any of this near the hotel.

There is a Denny's just over a block away which offers reasonably priced food. I had a look at the diner in the hotel but it seemed somewhat over priced.

Overall it's quite an acceptable hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I never give a complete excellent rating but the Red Lion deserves it. There were no rooms available anywhere. They went over and above to try and get me into a room. I was very tired when I walked in and by that point discouraged I thought I had to sleep in the car in January. But at the front desk they managed to get me into one. I was too tired to eat breakfast but ate there later in the day and enjoyed it too. Thank you so much you have a customer for life when I get back to Utah. I had to be there for business and a personal appointment at the hospital and was able to make both on time. Thank you I cannot say enough. Besides the front desk everyone there was great and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel is horrible! Not ventilation in the rooms. Way too warm in the rooms. Balcony doors are bolted, so you cannot open the doors for air. AC doesn't work to cool the rooms off. Warm air trickles out vent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dexter L
Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and the opportunity to respond, especially when our guests have a less-than-ideal stay. Please accept our apology for the discomfort you experienced. I’m sure it doesn’t help to tell you that many of our balcony doors do open—only a small number are sealed for safety purposes. Shame on us if we failed to make every attempt to move you to one of these rooms. At any rate, more should have been done to make your stay more enjoyable. Perhaps you will give us another chance to demonstrate that this inconvenience was a rare one. Should you decide to stay again, please feel free to make special requests that would enhance your comfort. We offer you our best wishes and hope to see you soon.

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stay here a few times a year for work. This hotel is ckean the service is great and I always sleep good. Its close to the freeway and down town places to go shopping and resturants. They are just down the street from the city library. If you are a breakfast person you can get that right in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

It's a good location. The walk to and from town lets you explore the down town Salt Lake. The rooms are ok. It was a decent bed, clean bathrooms and quiet night's sleep. Not flash but a good place for one night's stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the room. Vent did not work in the bathroom. I was into a hotel room that was already occupied by another guest. Ut too the manager 40 minutes to get me a new room that was still not to my satisfaction.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your various experiences while visiting our property. I would like to apologize that you were checked into an occupied room and that it too so long to get you a different room. . This is something we will be looking into and following up with front desk staff. We value you as a guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Sydney Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We needed a place to stay last minute arriving in Salt Lake City and heard Red Lion would be nice. After checking in we got a really nice room at a fair price! Super clean, really comfortable beds, great shower! Everything we needed. The carpark was average.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends