“Red Lion Downtown SLC - Nov 2013” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Salt Lake City
“Red Lion Downtown SLC - Nov 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Nice hotel, a little older but in good condition. Friendly staff, clean rooms, good parking, close to major attractions in downtown Slat Lake City.

Reasonably priced, food was excellent, good overall value

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stansted UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Big rooms. Efficient Lifts. Free WiFi. Nice querky diner for good value evening meals & breakfast. BUT Evening service was poor & unfriendly. Food not good. Food at Breakfast was good. 10 mins walk from the free tram that takes you to the Temple Square Centre.
In the Lobby there is a sign that says ‘we want to be No1 on Tripadvisor’ They need to change quite a bit. We stayed 2 nights and the housekeeping was poor. Bed not properly made and Coffee maker left dirty.
In short the hotel has the physical side ok but the staff are rubbish apart from the guy that runs breakfast and he was working his socks off

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Greetings and thanks for your review on your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. We’re glad to know you found the accommodations and food to your liking. We also appreciate knowing your feelings about the service. Yes, we do want to be #1 on TripAdvisor, and it looks like we have some improving to do. We have our sleeves rolled up and are ready for this exciting challenge. Thank you, again, for your patronage and feedback. We apologize for any unpleasantness you experienced during you stay as we wish you only fond memories. We do hope to see you again soon. Cheers, and have a wonderful day!

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Logan, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have around 20-30 hotel days in any given year. Unless something drastically changes at Red Lion in SLC, I'll never stay again.The last time I stayed here was in 2007-and it was bad, but getting remodeled,so I hoped it would improve.I was hopeful because I read many responses from the manager. I also selected a "Premium King" and hoped for a decent room.

There was no convenient parking near the lobby, so I parked in the back. It was concerning to see that you could walk right into the back of the hotel, and up the stairs to the rooms as the doors were not locked. The parking lot and the back hallway of the hotel had several sketchy people.

(When we stayed in 2007, our car was broken into and Red Lion employees shrugged their shoulders and said there are a lot of homeless in the area.)

The hallways smelled bad and the elevator looked like someone had tried kicking it in.

In my first room, the bedding and towels appeared to be dirty-either they weren't laundered well and had stains,or they had not been replaced.There were also bottle caps on the balcony and on the side of the bed. There was a large gap in the sliding glass door that allowed cold air and even wind in the room.

My biggest issue was that when I opened the privacy curtains I saw large bugs on the curtains and dead bugs on the floor.The dead bugs looked like they had been there for some time. When I called the front desk, the clerk casually stated they are Box Elder bugs and they get some of those in the fall and they're harmless.I told her I know what a Box Elder bug looks like, and these were not Box Elder bugs-but something much, much larger-about the size and length of my thumb.I told her I would not be able to sleep in this room.(I thought they might be cockroaches, so I looked it up and they are Squash or Leaffooted bugs) The maintenance guy came up within a few minutes and also seemed startled by the bugs. I'm guessing they came in through the large gap in the sliding glass door, but wonder why housekeeping didn't notice them and/or vacuum them up?

I moved rooms, one floor down. Once again, the room smelled awful, but the towels and bedding were clean, the floor appeared to be vacuumed, and there were no bugs. The internet service kept disconnecting. The curtains were in tatters, furniture had stains, and it appeared someone threw a soda at the wall in the bathroom. There was absolutely no water pressure for a shower.

I used the fitness room. The treadmill I used only partially worked. They put out a couple of fans because the room was warm-but they were in use by others when I got there. There were no hooks for jackets.

Two other friends also stayed here for the same meeting. One friend had a couple walk into her room, while she was in the tub. They were given the room key by the front desk. When she called the front desk, they denied giving the couple the key.

Both friends reported their rooms were filthy and smelled bad. One friend said that it was very noisy in their hallway with people coming and going all night.

Salt Lake area has over a 100 hotels. I won't stay at Red Lion again.

As a positive, the maintenance guy was friendly. I feel sorry for him as well as the manager of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We at the Red Lion Hotel Salt Lake Downtown freely welcome feedback from our guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. Our goal is to provide our guests with the most comfortable stay possible, and we can see by your comments that your stay was far from ideal. Please accept our profound apologies for the conditions you described. Your report of insects in the room and a draft should have been responded to and remedied immediately, and there is no excuse for failing to correct such oversights. We are committed to preventing the disturbances you mentioned, and we of course are open to your suggestions for improvements in our Energy Zone and other areas of the hotel. Thank you for letting us know about your visit. While it pains us that your stay was far from satisfying, we hope you experienced a few bright spots on your trip to Salt Lake City. Have a wonderful day, and we do hope you reconsider and visit us in the near future.
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Quick check in, with nice people in the reception!
My room vas clean and okay, but difficult to opend the door to my balcony. The windows was not clean, but the view vas nice.
I didn't use other facilities at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, but some noise from the corridor
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed one night, check in was quick and seamless. Hallways are old and tired, rooms seem to have been updated in the last few years. Room was comfortable and clean. Red Lion Diner had a fantastic omelette! Hotel was easy to fine, in a good location, and free parking is almost a luxury these days. Priced right, I would stay there again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for one night while traveling and while the hotel part was decent the diner within the hotel really ruined our experience.
The staff at the front were friendly and got us checked in no problems. Even though we booked through Priceline for a discounted price we still got a clean room with two queen beds. Everything in the room was clean but definitely older and dated.

For dinner we went to "Red's Diner" located in the hotel. To sum it all up in one sentence: "Horrible, inedible food with slow, inattentive service". We got the nachos to start and I immediately realized everything was store bought and thrown together. I could have made much better nachos at home. But whatever, it's a diner not a Mexican restaurant so I let it go, at least they were edible. For our entrees I got "garlic and herb crusted chicken" with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. My sister got a burger and fries. The chicken was dry and tasteless. The mashed potatoes were crusted and you could tell they'd been sitting in a hot pan for hours. The broccoli was microwaved and soggy. My sister only ate her fries because her burger "tasted like nothing". On top of that our server spent his time up at the register talking - I could tell he was avoiding our table because I had not touched my food. I've been a server for 6 years and if I see one of my tables has a problem I try to fix it immediately. His method was to ignore us and hope the problem went away. When he finally came to the table he was trying to get away as quickly as possible. I didn't complain much because that's not my style, I just told him the food was bad and asked him to take it off which he did with no problems. I have a feeling he gets unhappy customers often because the food here is so bad. I asked the front desk and the diner kitchen does the room service also so I'd advise against ordering that if you stay.
I know this is suppose to be about the hotel so other things to note: Parts of the hotel were under construction and very dirty and the wifi was extremely slow. I'd stay here again but go elsewhere to eat.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sqronfleh
West Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at this Red Lion after booking it on Hotwire. For $100 I can't be too terribly disappointed. The Pro's: Location is a nice breezy walk to downtown, Free Parking, Very helpful Staff, clean and Comfortable beds. Cons: Elevator sounds like it needed some serious maintanance. View, I was on the 12th Floor and had a view of not much. Windows, filthy, hadn't been washed in a looong time. I'd say anything over $85 you could do better. There's was nothing horrible about this hotel but nothing spectacular either. Just another older, highrise hotel.

Room Tip: One tower seems more renovated than the other. Ask for newer tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family