“Old remodeled hotel.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albuquerque, Nm
“Old remodeled hotel.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel has been a big part of Salt Lake City for many years and has had many names. It is still a nice place to stay but the neighborhood now leaves a little to be disired. Be careful at night in the parking lot. Rooms are clean and east side still has a really nice view.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel was part of a list that was given to us by the University of Utah hospital. We came to see a very sick relative in the ICU unit and the Red Lion Hotel staff made this trip from California stress free. I would recommend this hotel, it was only 4 miles from the hospital and very close to all the beautiful scenic sites.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2013

husband and i stayed here for one night as part of a large tour group.

red lion is located downtown, and isn't really within walking distance of any major attractions. There is a Starbucks across the road and some fast food within a couple of blocks. Very disappointing diner located downstairs, but i wouldn't recommend going there.

The rooms are spacious and well dressed. Fridge and microwave. Air Con seemed to struggle to maintain room at a cool temp. We stayed on the 8th floor so our balcony sliding door was bolted closed. Shame. Nice toiletries, lots of fluffy towels and comfy bed made for a good nights sleep. Unfortunately I was essentially unable to have a shower in the morning due to a total lack of water pressure (i got more out of the tap washing my hands). No doubt lots of people showering at the same time (my tour group of 50 people no doubt), however this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

I have basic exceptions of hotels, however a shower and a half decent meal are one of them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bronwyn J
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here on a family reunion trip the last week of june. Upon check-in, the front desk clerk seemed in a hurry to get me out and handed me a key to the room. Didn't even tell me where to go or park. I asked the front desk clerk if he could tell me where to park and he said "around back". I was like..okay. So, I got back in my car and headed around back. I walked into the back door and up to my room. My room was up on the 9th floor, which I enjoyed. I walked to the window and the window looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. I tried opening the balcony door for some fresh air, but it was locked. I thought, must be because on higher floor but noticed others had their doors open. Well, I decided not to let it bug me, so I went to lay down after a two hour drive from southern utah. All night long, all I could hear was the elevator going up and down. I was soo exhausted, plus I had three small children with me so i wasn't about to drag everyone downstairs to switch rooms. The next morning we all went down to breakfast. It was good. After getting done at breakfast, I went back to my room to collect baggage to check out. I had noticed as I got to the door, I had locked my key into the room. I noticed a housekeeper right across from our room. I have worked for the hotel industry for years, and figured I would ask her if she could let us in. She didn't speak english and without asking for any id just opened the door. I was shocked! I had laptops, ipads, and ipods in the room. After grabbing my bags, I went down to the front desk to check out and complain. Again, was hurried out of the hotel. I tried to leave feedback at front desk as well as when I got my survey in email, and all I got back from hotel was "sorry". Much better properties around for same price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Steve H, Assistant General Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at Red Lion Salt Lake Downtown. We again offer our deepest apology for the less-than-ideal stay you described. We will naturally re-iterate to our entire staff the importance of making each guest feel welcomed and important with an emphasis on keeping each and every guest comfortable and safe. Rest assured that your comments will go a long way in our improvements , and feel free to contact us at any time to further discuss your stay. We would be delighted to see your again, should you decide to give us another chance. Best wishes to you, and have a wonderful day!
Cottonwood
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Back in October, my husband and I stayed at the Red Lion... best decision we could have made! We started in AZ around 8pm and ended up in Salt Lake around 6am and called to see about getting into the room SUPER early. (Being in the hospitality industry myself, I knew how unlikely it was.) The gentleman who answered (I'm sorry... I forget his name) was more than happy to get us in around 7am so we could get some much needed rest. Awesome #1!

It's super close to the TRAX rail so commuting to Temple Square was very convenient. Awesome #2!

We had a cool view of Downtown SLC from our room and the beds were uber comfortable. Awesome #3 & #4.

I really can't say enough good about this place. The staff was very friendly and I really hope to stay here again when we're back in the area in October! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is located in a less desirable area downtown. I've been here a few times and have witnessed numerous arrests and issues with homeless residents

The hotel has a free airport shuttle which is a huge selling point.

There's a movie theater right across the way and a few restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to the airport, if you have a car, and the hotel has a shuttle which is a great service. The neighborhood doesn't have too much to offer and the nicer downtown area is a bit of a walk.

We stayed for one night for the next morning flight out of SLC. The front-desk was very welcoming and professional, and changed our room to a higher floor which would be quieter. But the hotel itself shows its age and reminded us of old Vegas. The room must have used single pane window as the street noise was so loud that we thought the window was open. The room was adequate but nothing great. The bed was on the soft bouncy side, and the fitted sheet barely fit. The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned. Bathroom door has a hook for hanging but it's located at the top edge of the door, that only a basketball player can reach. Towels have seen many washes. With what we paid for it through Hotwire, we can't complain too much, but compare to the Radisson we stayed on our way in, Radisson was so much better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple