WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Ski Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

It's cheap, has a huge hot tub, good TV's and beds. I've stayed here many times as a great centrally located ski hotel. There is plenty of free parking and pretty good nightlife within a few blocks.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jpedr
Steve H, Operations Manager at Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
Yes, we agree that our Liquor Laws in Utah are a bit challenging and inconvenient, but there is no excuse for a noisy heating system, and for this I apologize. Please trust that we will use your comments to better ourselves and our hotel (we have just completed upgrading the heating and A/C units in all the rooms), and we can only hope that you will give us another try on your next visit to Salt Lake City. Sincerely, Steve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Prospect Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

A mixed experience here. Not a bad option for the price. Walking distance to the convention center, quiet in the room. Getting toward the edge ofwhat looks like a dodgy part of town, so not sure I would walk around after dark. We had our car broken into while there, so recommend that you make sure to take all valuables with you. Our experience in the bar was to be told to move to the cafe because the lady was "overstressed" and could not serve everyone. Admittedly she should have had some help. Once we got to the cafe, the drinks were terrible.

As always, you get what you pay for, so if you stay here with no expectations other than a good night's sleep, it is a fair choice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Aussiepol65
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

First of all, the advertising is out-of-date. The restaurant on the 13th floor closed last year. They still include it on their website, and also in the in-room information binder. The carpet, drapes and wallpaper have had it, and the entire facility needs a major overhaul. I used the stairs to get to our room (the stairwell reeks of cigarettes, and obviously patrons use it to smoke), pulled the door open.....and the handle came off in my hand. I promptly called the front desk to report this. The girl said she would tell the maintenance "guy". I suspected this would be by note or email, since it was Sunday. Late Sunday evening I checked the door knob...it pulled right off the door. Drunken arguments in our hallway forced us to call for Security in the wee hours. I cannot recommend this facility.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Playjude

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Can"t believe guests are denied a glass of wine in their room at this hotel. Some weird hotel liquor license issue. If your a teetotaler you will be right at home, For a weary NY mom who just traveled 12 hours with lost baggage, I am jumping ship. Heating system sounds like a truck idling in my room, vent is filled with dust, overall its a bit run down.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank adkong
new york city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

it's a 3 star hotel...so while managing my exceptions, everything was going well...clean room...new flat screen TV.....Than, I noticed the loud ice making machine next to my room, so I called and they moved me to another room/floor right away...they even brought me the keys to my new room....I wanted to take a shower and discovered that there is no soap in the room....hmmm....I called house keeping 2x...no one picked up .I called the front desk 2x and 30min later i got the soap....Once I settled in my room, I was setting up my laptop on the desk and when I sat down, I noticed the chair is just "dead"...all the filling in the chair is gone...glad I had plenty of extra pillows I could use to make this chair usable...For one night and for this price i cannot complain much.

Room Tip: don't pick anything ending with ...46-----they by the ice making machine
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank alonnyc
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

As my first stay in a Red Lion hotel and my first visit to SLC, I was a bit skeptical about what sort of accommodations would be available. However, Red Lion far exceeded my expectations and made a great fan out of me.

There's a certain coziness to this particular Red Lion. Some standouts of the visit included the wonderful bed and the great shower head. They also had Tazo tea instead of Lipton or Bigelow's which warmed my heart. I loved how the fridge was actually located behind a shelf door so that it didn't look clunky amidst the room decor. There was a nice Samsung flat screen in our room. However, we were too busy enjoying the view outside our room, facing the amazing Wasatch mountains. The airport shuttle is extremely convenient and runs throughout the day, even between 12-5 in the morning. I love the B&BW amenities they used in their rooms! There is gift shop conveniently located in the hotel, which sells stamps, post cards, magnets, etc. [albeit at a higher price].

However, this is not a hotel without flaws. There is free-wifi available, but the surface is extremely spotty. Ironically, it performed better when kept away from the window/patio rather than towards it. The walls are QUITE thin. You can hear everything your neighbours are doing [and, I mean, everything]. The area is not the greatest/safest, but then again, I found all of downtown SLC somewhat run down. I felt comfortable walking around in the day, but not towards the night. The most ridiculous aspect is the $7.95 breakfast buffet that is available. The food that was present was part of the standard continental fare offered for free at most places. However, Red Lion charges for it. But due to the extremely inexpensive pricing of their rooms, I'd like to think they're actually giving people a good deal: if you don't want breakfast, your room rate just went down by $10.

I was also disappointed that they ran out of lotion on our visit. How do you run out of lotion? They didn't even have it in our rooms, let alone an extra bottle to take home.

All this being said, the best part of my visit to Red Lion were the front desk crew. They are some of the nicest hotel staff I have ever met. I especially wanted to recognise Naomi and Ryan (sp?) and how helpful they were in getting me gather toiletries since I forget my travel kit of amenities. I would definitely come back to this Red Lion again, if only for the amazing group of folks that staff this hotel. Despite the minor issues, they make it a homey, cozy place to be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank willworkforhotelroom
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to a Convention and it was one of the last hotels available so we were not sure what to expect. Started off awesome when they had a shuttle that came to get us from the airport. Not many hotels downtown do and that saves at least $20 each way. The staff was really friendly and the rooms were surprisingly nice. They have a breakfast buffet downstairs, which you have to pay for but it was worth it. It was about a mile from the Convention center, which was a little far when walking in the rain but it was a nice walk over. The diner in the hotel was okay, food was good, the help was not the best, friendly but non attentive. Bottom line: I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business