“Majestic!”
Review of Salt Lake Temple

Salt Lake Temple
Ranked #10 of 160 things to do in Salt Lake City
More attraction details
Owner description: The original granite temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The most beautiful temple I've ever seen. The history behind it, is amazing, and it still stands today more majestic, more beautiful than ever. It will take your breath away.

There are newer reviews for Salt Lake Temple

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was here for work in early Dec and toured the Temple grounds one night. The nativity scene and the lights were spectacular

Reviewed January 23, 2014

One of the most beautiful and most breathtaking temples I have had the pleasure of attending. If you get the chance to go, GO! Never disappoints, very spiritual, very special and comforting place to be. You can attend Temple Square at no charge, but must be a worthy member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to attend the temple sessions.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The temple is picturesque and the grounds immaculate, but what really impressed us was the acoustics in the Mormon Tabernacle. Literally 'hear a pin drop from afar' the pipe organ presentation and performance is something everyone should experience.

1  Thank Codiak!
Reviewed January 10, 2014

It is interesting that the current TA rankings for SLC include the following:
#2. Mormon Tabernacle Choir
#12. Utah State Capitol Building
#13. Cathedral of the Madeline
#14. The Tabernacle
#15. Salt Lake Temple

I often don't fully agree with TA rankings. But, in this case, the only ranking that I wonder about is for the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (for reasons contained in my review, hopefully about to be posted). Or, perhaps, that Temple Square and the LDS Conference Center might be switched in rankings. Otherwise, I find these relative rankings very interesting, and could agree fully with them.

I think I agree that the Salt Lake Temple is historic, impressive, and an anchor to Temple Square. I agree with the implication from these current rankings that Temple Square (especially with its pre-Christmas lighting and evening crowds enjoying said lighting) is more than the sum of its parts. I tend to agree that nearby Cathedral of the Madeline impresses me more than the Salt Lake Temple (if not with the entirety of Temple Square) with its singular presence.

Impressive, yes. But the Salt Lake Temple resonates with me less than, say, Shwedagon (Yangon), the Phra Pathom Chedi (Nakhon Pathom, Thailand), King's Chapel (Boston), the Cathedral in Trani (Italy) and many other religious edifices. I rate on a curve, thus this 3-star rating. ((A typical LDS ward church might get ~1.5-stars from me as works of function with little apparent effort on form or inspirational roles.))