“Great location, close to Temple Square and Capitol”

The Kimball Condominiums
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We exchanged our time share to stay a week right in the center of Salt Lake City at this old fashioned place which has easy parking, an elevator, a hot tub, exercise room, free WiFi and a great, pleasant, helpful staff who bend over backwards to help you (when leaving, they printed our plane boarding passes for us). We stayed in a small studio with a Murphy bed that comes out of the wall. The bed was a comfortable Queen with 4 pillows. The room was adequate for the 2 of us, but we would not recommend it for a family. The studio had a dishwasher, mircowave, stove, small fridge, coffee maker. The bathroom had a tub with a shower. Granted the furniture is dated, as is the TV, but they did have a DVD/VHS player. The biggest plus about this place is the amazing location--you can look out your window and see Temple Square. The state capitol is only 2 blocks north. We were on the 4th floor and after getting off the elevator, we walked a short distance and then had to go down 5 steps to our room, which was not really a problem. This place may not be for everyone, but we loved the area so much and the Kimball was just right for us, so we hope to come back to it in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights while visiting Salt Lake. The Location cannot be beat - you are right in the center of town. We stayed there on a timeshare exchange and paid for an upgraded room - a 1 bedroom suite. Room was great - a bit dated but nice. Parking was free which was a huge bonus was. We had internet but I can't remember if we paid for it or it was included. I will definitively stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank FunWithDaFam
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Our room was a studio. It had a pull down Murphy bed, small sofa, small dining table, partial kitchen. The room was tiny. The hotel is old. All of the furnishings and appliances were very old. Even though our room was paid in advance for a week, and we could not recover the cost, we left and paid to stay in another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jth37
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was a cute place very convenient to downtown. The room was large, with one bedroom (my 15 y/o daughter claimed the bedroom) and small kitchen area. The bathroom was a little tired/worn, but overall the room was very nice and the location couldn't be beat. We had four nights to stay in Salt Lake City, and this place was within walking distance of everyplace we needed to go, even if it was 90+ degrees out.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank BayGuy08
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Kimball. We have three small children and wanted a place where we could have a bit more space than in a traditional hotel room and also a kitchen to cook in. The Kimball was wonderful for this. It is great to be able to put the children to bed, and still have the light on, watch TV, clean up in the kitchen, etc.

We stayed in both room 225 and room 329 (because we wanted to book an extra night). Room 225 cost $30 more because it was two bedrooms but the extra $ were completely worth it. It was much, much larger not just in the extra bedroom but in the condo as a whole. I think there are two different sizes of 1 bedrooms and if you go with a 1 bedroom I would definitely spring for the larger one.

The location of the Kimball was ideal. One of the earlier reviewers wrote about the view of the temple--I think some new construction has blocked this, at least for most rooms--but the location is fabulous. We discovered parts of Temple Square I had never explored before, and I credit the easy walkable location to this. We saw the Relief Society Museum, the Church History museum, the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (we had dinner there) the Gateway mall (we had several meals there) and we did it all on foot. It was super not to have to worry about parking. (But if you're not young and healthy you might need to drive to the Gateway Mall).

The Kimball is not a new property, but it is well taken care of. The cleaning staff does a good job. We worked with one clerk that was not that competent or efficient but we also worked with another clerk (the next morning) who was outstanding--cheerful, knowledgeable and efficient.

In one of the condos we stayed in, I noticed that the decor in our condo did not match (drapes that did not really "go" with bedspread), but this sort of thing does not matter to me. Just know that the units are a bit variable, and not necessarily professionally put together in terms of interior decorating. However, they have all the furniture that one might need, and the kitchen in the bigger unit was outstanding. The kitchen in the smaller unit was unbelievably tiny, but it would have been serviceable for light duty if necessary.

I will definitely be staying at the Kimball again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
10  Thank C_G_7
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed a week at the Kimball, and LOVED it. The staff were great, they had information of where to go right there, they even had games for kids to play in the rooms, which, although both teens and "above kid games" we played. They have a very nice exercise room, and the breakfast was good as well.
We had a one-bedroom, my parents slept in there and my sister and I switched out the couch and the EZ-Boy chair (both very confortable). The kitchen had everything we needed, and when we needed a blender we simply asked and got it within ONE minute. I can't tell you how great the view was, it was heaven.
One great historical thing for a geek like me was that on the left side of the building was a small cemetery, the Kimball family. Also it was awesome to walk out of the condo really early for spiritual walk on Temple grounds to realize the sister missionaries all reside next door!
Anyway, it was great, friendly, and everything I dreamed my first trip to Utah to be.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank SuLily
Reviewed September 12, 2007

My wife and I come the the Family History Library twice a year and always stay at the Kimball Condominiums because we can walk through the beautifully landscaped gardens in Temple Square. There is not a more beautiful downtown section to walk in than here. Everything we need for a week is close-by. We cook our meals in a nice kitchen, relax in comfortable furniture, attend the musical events nearby and return home wanting to come again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank PapaDad