“Simply Awesome!!”

Ranked #3 of 11 Salt Lake City B&B and Inns
Clinton, Utah
“Simply Awesome!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at this inn after my husband returned from Afghanistan. It was wonderful! We stayed in the "Twilight" room, and the pictures available online do not do it justice. It is a gorgeous room! We absolutely loved everything about it. We had no problems with anything during our stay. The location is great, beautiful view. It was so quiet it was easy to forget we were in the city. The available items you can add to your stay were a nice touch. Also would like to give a big kudos for the GREAT military discount they gave us. I could have stayed here for days, and we can't wait to go back. It was a perfect little getaway.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
utah
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Anniversary Inn is a fun place to stay - the themed rooms are great. However, we had a number of problems that added up - especially with the cost.

We stayed 1 night on a Thursday in the Swiss Family Robinson Room #28. Many of the problems were with this specific room and don't apply to the hotel overall.

The good:
The theme of the room was great. You really felt like you were in a treehouse.
The breakfast was great.
The privacy was fantastic. You didn't hear anyone else. I like how your breakfast is brought to your room instead of going down to a dining room.
Cleanliness. Everything was very clean.
Extras. The extras like the mints and cheescake, bathrobes, etc. were very nice.

The bad:
Problems with our specific room:
The filter in the aquarium is really really really loud. There is a constant buzzing that gets to be quite agitating. I can't imagine that they couldn't replace the filter with something that is at least a little bit quiter. In our bedroom at how we have a computer with a bad fan that buzzes quite loudly - I had picked up from another review that this filter buzzes adn thought it won't bother us because we are used to the buzzing noise from our computer with the bad fan - well this was waaay louder than that. You stand warned.

Annoying placement of the TV. In this room your bed is in a treehouse. From the bed there is a view of a really nice, large screen TV. However there is also a safety rail around the bed (for good reason). The problem is that the TV is positioned low enough that unless you are sitting straight up in bed, the rail cuts off view of the TV. The annoying part is that they could EASILY raise the tv about 8 inches to a foot and solve the problem.

They have a little booklet will information on the hotel, your room and the surrounding area. When we opened the booklet all the pages were loose instead of in the binder. There was supposedly a page that told us how to use the TV/DVD player but it was missing. When we went to use the DVD player it took us a long time - 20 minutes or so to figure it out (due to the page missing). The knob for the volume on the DVD player was broken off. After trying to figure it out for about 10 minutes we tried calling the front desk and got no answer. After calling the front desk again after trying for several more minutes we got an answer with a quick - can I call you back in a few minutes. After waiting about 5 minutes I finally got a call back. They weren't especially helpful and referred us to the sheet in the booklet that was missing. They didn't seem to care that the page was missing and I doubt it got fixed after we left. They said it was different in every room and I said OK and hung up. They gave us a couple of ideas and after goofing around with it for a few more minutes we finally figured out how to get the DVD to work (we got the video quickly but had to push some random button for sound that we finally got lucky and found.)

When calling in to make reservations (we couldn't book online because the online system didn't allow for the special we used) the operator didn't know about the special at first (apparently the toll free number was the Idaho location). She looked up the special and said it would be honored. The while getting the reservation information from me (which was twice as much as most hotels) she put me on hold 4-5 times. Finally she put me on hold for literally 5 minutes - after 5 minutes I hung up and called the local Salt Lake office. At the Salt Lake office they had to start over getting all of the information and I was put on hold again once - but only for about 10-15 seconds. When we got our reservation confirmation via email it was not the special price but the full price so I had to call back in to make sure we were getting the right price - apparently it was right in their system just wrong in the confirmation email.

Our room had a couple of other minor problems. First there was a "dead" bird in the tree. There was a stuffed parrot in the tree that was part of the decorations. It would have been great except it was flopped over and looked like it was dead. It kind of creeped my wife out. Also the treehouse was very near the ceiling and as you know "hot air rises - it was maybe 15 degrees hotter up in the bed than down in the rest of the room. There was a bathroom style fan that you could turn on that helped some - but you had to go back downstairs to turn it on and we certainly didn't need more noise after the filter on the aquarium. A very simple fix would be to have a couple of traditional ceiling fans that you could access from upstairs.

Also once you are up in the treehouse it would be nice if there was a shelf somewhere - the phone is balanced on limbs of the tree.

Our special including a movie snack tray - we ordered it to come at 8:00 and it didn't show up until 8:20. Not a huge problem but it was late enough that we started wondering if it was coming.

The Ugly:
There was really only one thing with the stay that I thought was inexcusable. On their website they have an email address of the "innkeeper" or manager. I sent to emails to this address about problems with the reservations and never got a response. When the manager doesn't respond to concerns from guests that in my mind is inexecusable and and indication that the manager just doesn't get it when in comes to service. I would predict that the service will continue to go downhill here until a change is made in management - I get the sense that they just don't care and are trying to get as much profit out of this as possible without putting in the needed investment to provide a fantastic experience and I expect it will catch up with them. A shame really - they are on to something fantastic if they would just get the operational details right. I think they have just outgrown themselves and don't have the right operations person to keep up

Now here is the interesting thing - despite all of these problems I would still recommend this place and we will still go back. Their theme rooms are absolutely fantastic and the experiece is great. They must have a genious of an interior decorator working for them and they put the necessary investment in to make the themes fantastic. They also seem to have a great cleaing staff.

However, if there any maintenance problems beyond the basic cleaning they don't seem to get dealt with - problems like the booklet with missing pages, bad placement of the TV, missing knob on the dvd volume, etc.

Also, they seemed to be understaffed at their front desk as evidenced by the late movie snacks, difficulty getting them to answer, being put on hold - they seemed to be a bit frazzled and thus not very helpful when we had trouble getting our dvd player to work.

I hope they will put the investment they need into having enough staff to create a great customer experience, someone that cares enough about the long term maitnenance to deail with the issues, and a manager that will respond to complaints (or fix the email to go somewhere if no one is monitoring it.) If they do what they have could be truly awesome instead of mediocre.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank brian_c_pg
aluckytravler
Reviewed March 10, 2009

They have great themed rooms. The tub fits 2 people and have a shower. Breakfast is included, very good, but not very much. Something different from a boring hotel room.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We didn't have 1000's of dollars to go to some exotic place, so we thought we'd find "exotic" places within Utah. We saw the rooms at the Anniversary Inn, and thought it would be fun! We booked 4 different rooms, and switched each night. The management was more than accommodating! There was one of the four nights that we were there that a room we had booked had a water leak in the pipe. They let us have our choice of any of the vacant rooms still available to stay in for the next night. We picked one that was more expensive and a little more fun!

All in all, we stayed in the "49ers" room, the "Mysteries of Egypt" room, one of the "Italian Gondola" rooms, and a "Swiss Family Robinson" room. All were great! The bedding was comfortable, and the TVs were big and worked fine! I believe each room had a Jacuzzi tub that was really nice. These rooms are so fun and very well decorated!

They have a great movie selection at the front for you to use. Don't forget the DELICIOUS soft chocolate chip cookies they served at the front desk as well, plus complimentary beverages.

Breakfast here can't be beat! You pick your two juices the day before, and then they bring you your breakfast at your door. It includes a HUGE cinnamon role (for 2), a yogurt parfait, your juice, and these scrumptious breakfast roll thing that has ham and cheese in some super soft bread. At least that is what they served us every morning for 4 days. I assume it hasn't changed.

We just left our stuff in our room, and they moved it to our new room each day. Great service and we can not wait to go back!!! We are stuck a ways away now, with not a lot of time to go back and visit, but if ever in S.L.C., Utah, it is a MUST!!!! ;)

• Liked — Breakfast, the cookies, and the ROOMS!
  • Disliked — NOTHING at all!
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank utgringo
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I decided to take my husband to the Anniversary Inn for our 1 year anniversary a while back, and we will most likely not return.

We booked one of the most expensive rooms, The Room With a View. Having stayed at MANY bed and breakfasts, combined with the great things I had heard about this B&B, I had high expectations for what my experience would be like. Let's just say I was highly disappointed.

While the room was huge, there definitely was a view, and the huge enclosed tub/shower was great, the room was dusty and dirty, and the bed really not that comfortable.

Usually at most B&B's there are great amenities like a gormet breakfast, nice outdoor patio with cocoa, tea, etc.... Well all they had at Anniversary was a plate of stale cookies at the check-in desk and that was pretty much it. Breakfast was a joke. I told them upon booking that neither my husband nor I eat meat, ESPECIALLY pork, and the gave us some croissants with melted cheese and ham as the main course for our breakfast!!! We called down to the front desk to ask for something else and they said the breakfast people had already come and gone so they couldn't get us anything else. We ended up having a few tiny pieces of fruit and that was it!

They do have a nice TV with DVD player and stereo system, but their DVD selection is a little ridiculous and out dated.

As said in other reviews, it is inconvenient to haul all your luggage up to your room from the parking lot and up a big flight of stairs. They do not have a bellhop service or even offer to help you with your luggage.

Overall, the service is not very good, the rooms are amazingly decorated, but often dirty and dusty, and the amenities are very lacking. I would suggest staying somewhere like the Invited Inn in Midway, the Johnson Mill, or some other B&B if you are looking for a romantic getaway. You will get LOTS better service and quality for your money. Really, all you're paying for here is the theme room. It's not worth it! =)

• Liked — Very well-decorated theme rooms.
  • Disliked — Horrible service, amenities highly lacking, and dingy rooms.
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kristalkareh
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We were given a free nights stay here. I expect my feelings might have been different had I had to pay. At first I was pretty dissappointed because I had heard so many wonderful things about it and it was less than satisfactory. By the time we left though, I was a believer.

Hemming and hawing over which room to book was the most difficult part of the process. Their website was excellent and gave a good description of each room. After discussing it with the reservations clerk we selected the Swiss Robinson room.

There was no bellhop or luggage rack to help drag the luggage from the parking garage. The restaurant looked like it was condemned. Maybe we arrived at shift change and so both sets of crews had other things on their minds, but I was less than impressed with their attitudes and my reception. I was ignored while they all talked and talked. There were cookies to greet me and after awhile I took one and ate it slowly before anyone (all standing within 5 feet of me) even looked at me.

The room was up the stairs (again no help) and down a tiny hallway. It was dusty, had wear and tear and I don't even usually notice stuff like that. We were supposed to have a waterfall into the tub, it was more like a trickle. We had to call the office three times before we were able to get sound from the TV. Had I been paying I might have been seriously doubting myself at this point.

We went out to eat and came back to sleep in the treehouse. Maybe it was the parrot (dusty and one-eyed staring at us), maybe it was the movie, maybe it was the cider and cheesecake, maybe it was the breakfast delivered right when we asked, maybe sleeping 8 feet above the floor does something to you. But we ate breakfast in bed among the fake foliage and felt like we had been transported to an uninhabited island. There really was something magical about the whole thing.

I came away very satisfied and happy. Next time it will be the Lighthouse Room.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kbecjeans
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed February 19, 2007

After reading reviews and hearing from people with first hand, I booked a night as a surprise for my wife. It was everything we pictured and more.

The theme rooms are very fun, the staff at check in are very pleasant, offering movies to watch and other goodies for the night.

The detail they go into for these theme rooms is very nice and adds to the touch. The jacuzzis are wonderful (just dont overdo it on bubble bath like I did LOL).

There is cheesecake and sparkling cider waiting for you upon check in, and then breakfast is delivered to your door in the morning.

Definitely a night to remember, we look forward to going back many more times!

• Liked — Very romantic, room decor is fun!
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was great!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple