Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City/University-Foothill Dr.
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Star Valley,AZ, United States
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great location, facility and staff, near U of U, Hogle Zoo and much more, not far from down town, The staff was extremely helpful in all of our needs. We had 16 rooms and they accomodated the location of the rooms to meet our needs

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel for a family wedding. Very reasonably priced. Clean, comfortable rooms with a good breakfast included. Extremely comfortable beds. Wonderful staff. The experience was so good that I will book this chain for future travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is located about 1/2 mile off I-80 from the exit at the mouth of Parleys Canyon. Foothill Drive is a fairly busy street but the hotel is rectangular - with the short end and lobby near the road. The signage is mostly hidden, so it's easy to drive by without seeing it - if you get to 1300 South you've passed it. The back of the hotel is on a small street with a cemetery across the street (very quiet area). There is a Red Robin restaurant right next door and a convenience store/gas station and Wendy's next to that. Across the street is a large shopping mall called Foothill Village with several restaurants, and shops, a supermarket, a bank, a sporting goods store that rents ski equipment, and even a AAA store. This hotel is located about 4 miles from downtown, maybe 2 miles from the University of Utah and less than that from the university's research park, the zoo and the "This is The Place" monument and pioneer park. It's in a nice part of town - much better than their downtown location. There are bus stops very near including a bus in the winter that runs to at least one of our many wonderful ski resorts. I drive by this location often because we live about 1/2 mile away - which is why I haven't actually stayed here. This review is intended to give you information about the location only.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms away from Foothill Drive would be the most quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here for a week while conducting business at the Univ. of Utah, which is just down the street. Overall, this hotel is a very good place to stay. They offer a decent breakfast, a good business center, and a very friendly and accommodating staff.

The room was spacious and clean, with a nice view of both the mountains and the valley, although the primary view is the parking garage. The third floor balcony/patio is the best place for great valley views, but the week I was here the weather was too hot to spend any significant amount of time outside! The highlight of the room was the charging station by the bed! It had two AC outlets and two USB ports. This is the first time I have seen this and I hope ALL Hilton properties will be adding them! I usually travel with a port replicator and outlet extension because most hotels are woefully unprepared for today's connected traveler. Not this location, though! Kudos to Hampton!

Breakfast was the usual fare: lots of simple, sugary carbs, juices, coffee, powdered eggs, hard boiled eggs, waffles, and fruit. The eggs were a different style each day: cheese omelet, western omelet, scrambled with cheese, and scrambled with ham and cheese. On the days that the eggs did not include ham, there was a different meat each day: sausage patties, ham slices, and sausage slices. Since I don't eat simple carbs or sugar, the variety was nice, in spite of the powdered eggs.

My dinners were mainly at the next-door Red Robin, where the staff were very friendly and I could get a quick, hot meal to go, and work in my room. It was in the evenings that I have my only complaint about this property. There were a LOT of families with small children on my floor, at least one of which took great delight in slamming the door every few minutes much of two evenings. I did not report it, since it mercifully stopped about 9:30, but it was a distraction and an annoyance. I realize the hotel cannot fix something it doesn't know about, but I do think they could make an effort to locate business travelers away from the families.

Overall, this was a very good place to stay. I come here on business several times a year and will stay here again, primarily because of the proximity to the University.

Room Tip: Choose an even-numbered room for the better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jacqueet
Chandler, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I would stay here again and again. The check in was fast and the staff was great. They allowed me to check in early and even shuttled me to my office that was down the street. It was great being able to grab breakfast every morning before I headed to work. The 3rd floor patio looking over the valley was so relaxing in the evening. The sunsets were great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Salt Lake City, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We reserved a large block of rooms for a family wedding. Everyone in the staff, from the front desk, to the van driver, to the breakfast staff were exceptionally polite, friendly and enormously helpful. Everyone who was a guest commented on the lovely hotel, reasonable rates and wonderful staff. We recommended it to everyone, and now you have a large amount of people both here in Salt Lake and visitors from other areas singing the praises of this hotel. It couldn't have been any nicer. Thank you for making our family occasion so easy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Danville, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I will definitely stay here when I return to SLC in the future. I love the location and the staff members were great. I also like the small parking garage (no fee, no gate to get in and out) that allowed me to park the car out of the relentless Utah sun!

My room was a typical Hampton room - clean and serviceable with plenty of room. I did not indulge in breakfast during my stay because there are some great places to eat in close proximity. (I've got a review of Eggs In The City on here also.) There's a Red Robin within walking distance - if you want a good chain-store burger, and a shopping center with a grocery store right across the street.

Also, when the zipper on my suitcase broke (and I didn't really want to go buy another one just for the trip home), the front desk had a maintenance man bring me a roll of duct tape to get it closed for my flight home. It looked funny, but it worked! They even gave me a cardboard box to use in case I needed it (I didn't). Super helpful and friendly.

Their room rate for state employees was exceptional! I'll be back!

Room Tip: If you get a room on the east side of the building, you have a great view of the foothills behind th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business