“The Best Dinner in Salt Lake”
Review of ZY Food Wine and Cheese - CLOSED

ZY Food Wine and Cheese
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Gallivan
Description: Phone: (801) 779-4730
Lincoln, NE
“The Best Dinner in Salt Lake”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am usually a very low-key eater, nothing too fancy. On a recent business trip someone suggested Zy, and upon arriving at this fine establishment I definitely had my doubts that the food would be too fancy/exquisite for my tastes. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and didn't seem to have an arrogant air about him, as many do at these types of places, and we ordered cheese tray with a bottle of wine. The assorted cheese was by far the best I have ever had, hands down, and I eat a lot cheese. I ordered the white macaroni and cheese (it had a few different blends of cheeses, peas, and some other vegetables in is) and it was DELICIOUS! The entire dining experience was perfection. I found Salt Lake to very cold and a little boring, but I am borderline ready to go back just to go to Zy. Great dining, beautiful atmosphere, AMAZING food.

• Visited February 2012

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great dinner with friends”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Friends recommended Zy's. We had an early reservation, so the restaurant was not busy when we arrived but filled up between 7:30 and 8. This was a Saturday night, so reservations seem advised. Robert, our server, was the most knowledgeable server we have had in a long time and did a wonderful job of capturing the highlights of every dish while also giving a spot on description of what made it shine, and in a couple of cases why something else might be what someone in the party was looking for. And mostly not the most expensive dishes. The menu is starters, entrees and cheese options (which we might have tried but one member of the party does not do cheese; looked inviting). We had the buttermilk fried oysters and tempura wild mushrooms as starters, and both were excellent. The oysters were small. The coating was very crispy and they were wonderfully succulent on the interior. The mushrooms were very well done and had an excellent plating sauce. Entrees included an outstanding deboned duck leg and thigh, roasted chicken, and I had a brined pork shoulder that was roasted and finished with a veal demi glace. The most interesting dish was the mahi mahi my wife ordered, which had a deconstructed sauce that included concentrated soy "spots" and garlic powder that turned to a rich cream when mixed with the other ingredients. Very interesting dish and excellent flavors as well as interesting presentation. A limited dessert menu, including a very interesting goat cheese upside down cheese cake with fresh pears. Again, a winner. I had the small chocolate souffle, which had some similarity to a lava cake with a very creamy interior, and our friends had the orange cake with an interesting sauce that is definitely worth trying again (one taste did not do it for me). The wine list is limited, probably about 30 choices, but a good range of prices and a nice selection. We were happy with what we got, and the prices were good by Utah standards.

• Visited December 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Weird Combinations of Food - Definitely Cuisine”
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Had a holiday party here. The menu was extravagent. If you are a plain eater like me, you will definitely not be happy. However, foodies will love ZY. I ordered a filet and asked for it plain. It was delivered with a sauce that the chef thought I would like. I explained to the staff to return the item and fulfill my order as I requested. The manager came over and wanted to confirm that I wanted the filet plain. To me, this showed a poor opportunity for customer service. Serve the food as the guest requested and don't embarass me in front of my co-workers.

Now, once my order was fulfilled, it was quite tasty. One of the best filets I have had in a very long time. Tender and juicy, cooked to perfection. My co-workers loved their meals as well. From the food perspective, ZY is definitely more cuisine/bistro than "american food establishment."

While not a foodie, I am a wine snob. For this place to bill itself as a wine and cheese establishment is taking it a little far. The wine menu was disappointing. It was the traditional fare that would be found on the menus of Carvers or Flemings. I was expecting much more in the wine department. They only had two Malbecs to chose from.

The atmosphere was OK, nothing special. It is a corner establishment with windows all around. Great photos were hanging on the walls but it was cheesy since they had prices for purchase. If I want to know how to buy the photo, I'll ask someone. Not to mention, the restroom is a short hike.

All-in-all, the meal was OK. I definitely won't be returning any time soon unless there is a change in management/menu.

1 Thank Chris_G_2008
San Diego, CA
“Foodie paradise”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We arrived early, and they were preparing for a holiday party, so there was plenty of staff available. Service was amazing as a result, I can only hope it's that way all the time. The potato appetizer is enormous and a little difficult to eat, definitely good for sharing. The scallop app and cod entree were both perfectly cooked, and flavors were fantastic across the board. I highly recommend the cod with brown buttered crab and pearled couscous. Gorgeous combination and a beautiful presentation. The pecan pork was tender, but not nearly as good as the fish. We can't wait to return to try more!

• Visited December 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Our new favorite restaurant”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We went there for DineORound the first time & loved it so much that we keep going back. The service is prompt, friendly & professional. They check to see if you are attending an event to make sure they get you out on time. The cocktails are creative & very delicious. I really enjoyed the mulled cantelope & strawberry cocktail during the summer as it was light & refreshing. It felt like we were on vacation. We have had the fish, pork & tenderloin dishes which were all cooked perfectly. My husband if from New York & says it rivals NYC restaurants. The desserts are delicious. We have enjoyed the patio dining as well as dining inside seated by the window watching it snow.

• Visited November 2012