“Nicest Hotel I've Ever Seen”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Southern California
“Nicest Hotel I've Ever Seen”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I haven't been there in several years, but I've wanted to rave about this gorgeous hotel since my stay there. I've had no other reason to be in SLC, but if I were there, this is the hotel I would use, absolutely.

I walked in the front doors and my jaw dropped to my knees; never had I seen anything so beautiful and impressive, so stately, and I stay at many Four Seasons, Fairmonts, and Ritz-Carltons.

When I went up to my room, a "regular" room which was more than 700 square feet and would be a suite anywhere else, I couldn't believe what I was getting for under $300 per night.

It was huge, elegant, made up of several different rooms, with a gorgeous picture window view of the city from the large sitting room, (in itself the size of a hotel room in NYC), and another lovely picture window view from the long hallway leading to part of the enormous bathroom. Two separate sink areas; one outside the actual bathroom, a separate and lovely tub and shower, many closets throughout, and the sitting room itself was filled with furniture from a comfortable sofa and chairs, several tables, to an elegant desk and television.

I rarely stay in hotel rooms sporting doorbells but this one had one next to the beautiful raised-panel door.

I ate in the bar because restaurant prices were high, but I was fully satisfied with the meal service there and I had no complaints at all about this hotel. It was absolutely perfect.

In fact, the wife of the drummer of the band I was in SLC to see, the band itself staying at this hotel, told me it was the prettiest and nicest hotel she had ever seen...and they stay at a lot of expensive hotels throughout the country and have for many years.

If it were possible to rate the Grand America Hotel a six-star rating, I would do just that.

• Liked — Size and quality of room, as large as a suite, absolutely gorgeous.
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 16, 2007

I stayed at the Grand America for a conference in March 2007. Compared to other similar properties I have stayed at around the world, I found this hotel quite a deal. For example, Internet in the room is just $6.95 for your entire stay, the spa fee is only $10 and you have use of a nicely-appointed luxurious locker room with lounge area, steam, sauna and a decent weight room and beautiful pool area, and also I had a glass of wine in the bar and it was only $7! My room was 878 and had a larger (but still only about 3 feet wide) balcony overlooking the mtn range and a large bathroom/dressing area in addition to living room area. Everywhere you walk on this property, you see the attention to design--chandoliers, crown moulding, manicured garden areas, and more. The service is polite and helpful. For negatives, they do turn-down service quite early. (around 6:00p) I just requested not to have the turn-down service after the first night. Also, if you need soda, beer, or other convenience stuff, there's a chevron station one block away. This will save you from the one non-deal area I found in the hotel: the gift shop. All in all, a wonderful stay and I look forward to returning on a future visit.

• Liked — Luxurious public areas
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank patrickstpaul
San Jose, CA
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I attended a conference at the Grand America in March 2007. This was my second experience at this hotel. First, the hotel is beautiful with spacious rooms and elegant furnishings. The bathrooms are spacious as well and luxurious with oversized tub, separate shower and marble floors.

This experience was even better than my first in March 2005. The staff greeted us with cold water bottles and fresh cookies on arrival. The staff were always friendly and unobtrusively helpful. It seems they are taking service very seriously. There is a free shuttle from the airport which runs every 20 minutes.

The conference was well set up and seemed to run smoothly with good AV and sound equipment.

I didn't really eat at the hotel. I bought coffee in the morning in the lounge and the first morning the staff were overwhelmed with customers. The second morning, though, they had set up a separate coffee station for people who only wanted coffee and did not want to purchase pastries and coffee. I found there to be sufficient nearby nice restaurants. There is some walking involved, may be too much in really cold weather or for young children, but I found it to be absolutely perfect. I don't recall the names of the restaurants we ate at but I found the food at each one to be delicious. The concierge was helpful and made reservations and suggestions for us.

The weather in the first week of March was perfect.

All in all, I would visit this hotel again in a heartbeat while visiting Salt Lake City.

• Liked — great rooms with lots of space
  • Disliked — the $10 fee to use the pool and gym equipment
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank obdocSanJose
California
Reviewed November 24, 2006

Four nights at the Grand America at a conference produced pleasant and not-so-pleasant experience at what is a marvelously appointed hotel.
The good: gracious shuttle, baggage, maid and room service staff. Helpful, informative and instantly putting one at ease.
The less pleasant: the Garden cafe staff. On one occasion, I had to stand up and block a server to get his attention. On another, the scallop meal had clearly spoiled -- I was offered another choice, but was treated like this was a minor inconvenience. Similarly, the Gibson Girl room -- a private club where alcohol may be purchased -- required intervention and repeated reminders before service was rendered. The food was OK, but nothing exception. Attentiveness to modest details like refilling coffee was not great, certainly not four star.
High-speed Internet service was slow, and a firewall blocked access to my broadband account.
The room was beautiful, especially the marble tile bathroom.
The hotel is off the beaten track if you want to walk to a meal or desire something more than hotel amenities. It is doubtlessly positioned for growth, and I hope it continues to strive so its service completely lives up to its decor.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Coastguy
los angeles
Reviewed September 11, 2006

We just stayed at the Grand America on Aug 06 for some rest and relaxation. I got plenty of relaxation but not a lot of rest. The walls were so thin that i woke up to the sound of our neighbor snoring. We asked to be moved and were quickly accomodated. Then that night in our new suite we could hear the newlyweds next door all night long. Plus since this hotel is located in downtown Salt Lake I heard speed racing all night long on the empty streets below. I don't think i slept at all at this hotel.

We stayed under a romantic "package" rate with lots of extras included but no one could ever tell us the real specifics of the pkg deal. Also, make sure you check your bill when you leave. We were over charged 80.00 on various tips and service charges that no one could explain. The staff was wonderful, and food was amazing and the spa was pristine. It's a nice hotel, but maybe to pricey for all the inconviences.

• Liked — room was beautiful and spacious
  • Disliked — noisy nosiy noisy
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank khakiorangie
sydney
Reviewed August 6, 2006

This must be one of the USA's finest hotels where the bellmen greet you by name and service is quiet and unobtrusive.
Turn down service was nice with great golden boxed chocs!
Only gripes are the price and the extra for indoor pool and gym on topof that even though it was $10. The pool is lovely but music a touch too loud and unnecessary.
Great concierge with simple maps. Do not be fooled though-the city blocks in SLC are hugh!!

• Liked — Ambience and location
  • Disliked — expense
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the free airport shuttle to and from hotel, greta Sears store nearby, eat in little america hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Garthy_2
Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights of our Honeymoon in May 2006. The hotel is even more beautiful than it looks on the web site. But what really makes this place special is the staff, especially the concierge. We arrived during a fairly hot afternoon and while we were checking in, a staff member handed us cold bottled water. We stayed in an executive king suite, booked directly through the hotel web site. The room was outstanding, it was more like a small European apartment than a hotel room. The furniture and the bed were extremely comfortable. This was our first trip to the area and we relied heavily on the concierge staff for recommendations--they did not disappoint. They had a grid map of the city with many restaurants and popular locations marked, as well as pre-printed directions for driving trips all over the area. The day we arrived, we requested a rental car through the concierge. They asked us what size and what time we would like the car, and took care of the rest. All we had to do the next morning was show up downstairs, sign the paperwork and pick up the keys. To our delight, though we'd requested a regular standard, a convertible was delivered for the same price! This is just one example of how this hotel staff goes above and beyond typical service. This one is a must, look no further.

• Stayed May 2006