“Beautiful hotel - wonderful staff”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beautiful hotel - wonderful staff”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

What a beautiful hotel. 3 days of conference on property along with banquets each night. The hotel was amazing, and the staff second to none.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Superb hotel, excellent staff - knowledgeable and helpful, fabulous room and ideally placed for jumping on the free tram

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Best hotel by far in the Salt Lake City area. Everything is quite perfect and the quality of the food ( one of the major problems I always found there ) has recently improved a lot. The rooms are really nice and really roomy ( even the standard ones ) , the swimming pool and the spa really good in terms of massages and services. I greatly recommend this hotel if you travel to Salt Lake and if you want a luxury hotel. The only thing I personally don't like is the hotel location but I personally feel is really difficult to find a good hotel location in a city like Salt Lake...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I traveled to SLC for a 2-day work event. The hotel is an old world grand property. The bathroom and dressing room in the sleeping room are large and plush. A nice feature is the windows open in the rooms also. We also had a very small balcony off the bedroom with doors that opened out to the small balcony.

The pool is very nice. After many hours of work I finally took refuge there and a group of noisy twenty somethings were out there with their own "stereo system" blasting. Finally we called security to help out and they immediately came and asked them to turn their music off.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Golden Isles of Georgia, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I have had the pleasure of staying here on three different occasions -once for a whole week. We have always booked the Executive King Suite and find it perfectly comfortable with a glorious bathroom. The staff is extremely professional AND friendly. We were greeted by name on most occasions. The excellent service begins even before you leave home, where we were contacted about special requests or advance reservations. This same level of excellent service was evident throughout our stay from the valet at the front door, to the front desk, the pool attendants, housekeeping and room service staffs, concierges, and everyone else we had contact with. I was emailed by the manager ,shortly after our last stay, asking for feedback . I happily responded and then received a personal note thanking me for my input. This is obviously a first class hotel sincerely interested in pleasing their guests. I read in some other reviews that this hotel was not a good value. I have to strongly disagree. A comparable room in New York would cost at least $750 a night. (that's more than double what we paid). We find the Grand America to be an excellent value and would not miss an opportunity to return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Warwick,NY
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Great hotel from top to bottom. The rooms large,the beds comfortable,the marble bathroom spotless. We stayed in a king suite on the top floor and requests for chairs for the balcony and a coffee maker in the room were filled within 15 minutes of check-in. The staff were professional,pleasant and helpful at all times during our stay. The pool attendants were quite attentive without being intrusive which made for a very relaxing time. The wife and I are well traveled and there were two surprises that were totally unexpected for a hotel in this category. The first was a REASONABLY priced snack and honor bar in the room. No $9 cans of beer here. The other was an excellent breakfast buffet for only $15. The fruit was perfectly ripe and the croissants the best I have ever had. The only thing negative thing that I can say at all about our stay is skip the waffles.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Price, Utah
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary in Salt Lake City. We stayed one night at a cozy bed and breakfast called the Inn on the Hill, which we had stayed in previously and had a great time. The staff was personal and friendly, the rooms were tastfully decorated and clean and the bathrooms even had robes for our use. We borrowed a DVD at no extra charge and, in the morning we were served a wonderful breakfast. We spent $190 including taxes and fees. The next night we decided to "splurge" and stay at the Grand America. Yes, it's a huge and amazing hotel. There's marble everwhere and expensive fixtures and vases and so on. But, it's very inpersonable. Now my husband is a doctor and makes plenty of money; we could afford this place. But I felt out place, like the people there were all just a bunch of rich people who don't care about the value of your hard earned money. We spent over $300 dollars for a "fancy" room with a sitting area, a marble bathroom and an ordinary bed (the colors were pink and green).
There was a mini fridge in the room that was stocked with drinks and snacks, but guests beware. If you get a hankering for a pkg of M&M's in the evening they're going to charge you almost $4 for it! There were no extras. If we wanted to enjoy breakfast the next morning we would have had to cough up an extra $30 + dollars. Needless to say, we left early and had breakfast at home. If you want more value for your dollar, look elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
Thank you for your comments. We very much appreciate the excellent rating you gave us in the categories of service, room quality, cleanliness and location but terribly disappointed we did not meet your expectations in the area of value.

Indeed, our mini bar pricing is structured from a perspective of convenience in order to meet the needs of guests who do not want to leave the room for a snack. Our newsstand and sundries shop does provide a wide selection of snack options at traditional retail pricing.

I hope if your travels call for Salt Lake City in the future, you contact me personally.
We do run value added specials throughout the year and I would be pleased to assist you and your family in any way possible to ensure your comfort and satisfaction.

Director of Hotel Operations