“Might not be able to stay anywhere else. We've experienced the best!”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Might not be able to stay anywhere else. We've experienced the best!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Grand America Hotel was just what we needed after five days in Moab sizzling in the hot desert environment. After hiking, climbing, and just over-exposure, the cool pool, luxurious environment with a little spa time worked wonders for us before returning home.
I have never really been a spa girl but I put together my own little package with an express facial, express pedicure and EXTENDED massage with Meagan for a fairly reasonable price. Well, maybe not really reasonable. $300 is a TON of money to spend on all this fluff but I really felt like I'd rather spend it there than shopping and received excellent treatment above and beyond what I expected! The service here was wonderful, the rooms were large and beautiful. I enjoyed the view of the city and the mountains.
The only thing lacking was in the concierge department-- Neither of the girls working this week were able to answer any of my questions. She told me to stay away from the Great Salt Lake (which I found to be stunning at sunset-- no smell, no bugs and a fantastic drive through Antelope Island.) She did not know where to find real, fresh juice or how to have it delivered to the hotel. There is not a place at this time that you can just walk to so they do deliver but neither concierge could help arrange this but apparently the juice company makes daily deliveries to the hotel. She directed me away from the Yoga studio I wanted to walk to (The Parlour-- another great find) and when I asked about yoga, she did not tell me about the community class that was offered right there in the hotel THAT EVENING! The girl working in the business office was extremely efficient and helpful but the policy that a guest must pay $5 for every 15 minutes with no option for an extended use pass purchase, was disappointing. I lost my iPad on my flight (it was returned by Delta) so I really needed to spend a little time working once we arrived in SLC and could not justify the expense there at the hotel. These days not many people need this service so the cost is unjustifiable. Regardless, I am a pretty good at exploring in unfamiliar cities and found computer use elsewhere.
We found the Grand America to be a wonderful oasis! I doubt I will be able to stay anywhere else in town. The Grand America made our few days in Salt Lake City delightful!

Room Tip: Room 1179 was quiet, clean, facing the mountains and city.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank kristin z
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Kristin z,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand America Hotel! We were delighted to read your review. Thank you for highlighting the excellent service you received as well as our beautiful rooms and the Grand Spa. We are happy you were able to enjoy the amenities of the hotel. I am sorry the Concierge was unable to provide you with the details of the city you were looking for. We are constantly striving to stay up to date on the best local businesses and happenings. Thank you for reviewing your favorite local attractions! We look forward to having you return as our guest in the future. Until then, we remain at your service.

Best,

Annie Fitzgerald I Director of Guest Experience
afitzgerald@grandamerica.com
The Grand America Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Altoona
Reviewed July 23, 2014

It has the right to call itself Grand.. The room at an on line rate of $229 per night was amazing... huge! comfortable and clean... the bathroom was bigger than some Parisian hotel rooms I've stayed in :) Staff were very friendly and helpful. The decor in all parts of the hotel was very nice. Food in the bar was very good - late evening limited menu and the price for food and drinks wasn't bad considering the luxury hotel. It is right next to the Trolley to downtown or enjoy the walk for good restaurants and interesting locations, a very large antique/unique book store for instance.. When in SLC you have to eat at Red Iguana .. worth the 15 min drive and minimum 30 mins wait for their mole. Sawadee Thai was excellent too.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank aussiejb1949
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear aussiejb1949 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Grand with us. Feedback is such an important part of our effort to keep improving the Grand's hospitality experience. Thank you again for your kind remarks and for recommending us so highly.
Long Island NY
Reviewed July 21, 2014

just spend 3 nights at the Grand America Hotel, and had a simply wonderful experience. Everything about the hotel was first class-the ambience, furnishings, restaurants, spa, service, comfort level, cleanliness.
Everyone was quite nice, and Chief Concierge Marcie Burger was especially helpful.
Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear eews -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Grand America Hotel. We were delighted that the service quality and facility met your expectations. We are humbled by your kind remarks about Marcie, restaurants, spa and accommodations. We will look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.
wilds of New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Expect to see marble everywhere. And lots of warm woodwork. Expect a lot of Old World charm, although the hotel itself is not very old. Your room will be huge: ask for one facing the garden. It is only a half-block from the TRAX light rail stop, which is convenient for the airport or anywhere in the downtown or University area. The concierge staff was always helpful and friendly. The Garden Court restaurant serves a wonderful brunch buffet. Or, for a change of pace, try the Coffee Shop restaurant at the sister hotel, Little America, right across the street. The outdoor pool is also a great place to relax; food is also available poolside. Note to imbibers: The purchase of alcohol is just as much of a problem here as anywhere in Utah.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor, garden and mountain view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ken B -

Thank you very much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are always delighted to hear from our guests as part of our continual effort to improve the experience at The Grand. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests were able to attend our lunch buffet and enjoyed their experience.
We are honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Boston
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a really nice visit to the Grand America. Our suite was big, clean, and comfortable. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel was very friendly and professional. The retail in the hotel was excellent as well. The buffet lunch at the restaurant was excellent, and we enjoyed getting macaroons at La Bonne Vie and toys at Jou Jou. The kids particularly loved the big outdoor swimming pool. Parking was convenient and the location was ideal.

Room Tip: We requested a room on the first level with convenient access to the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ny,ny
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This property is very high on telling you it is a five star diamond hotel. And it certainly looks grand when you step inside the very grand looking lobby. And the rooms are big and clean and nice. But the service is second rate. For instance, the lobby bar is supposedly open for dining until 10. We arrive at 9:45 and were told by the bartender that the kitchen was closed. So sorry. When I pushed the issue, the kitchen amazingly was still open, on the condition that we accept the bill as soon as we ordered. Of course this was false too, since the bill did not come until we finished. I ordered a coffee at 10. No coffee available. At 10 on a friday night in a five star hotel. That is truly preposterous. On return to our room, I learned that our keys were deactivated. I went back to the front desk, to be told that there was a problem with my credit card. Now, I understand the hotel wants to ensure it is paid, but locking a family out of their room, with all of their stuff inside, at a "five diamond" hotel, when i cannot even get a cup of coffee, is not the way to do it. Tacky. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank akazin
GAHotelsandResorts, Director of Restaurant Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Akazin,

Thank you for providing your valued feedback on TripAdvisor. Although you did enjoy breakfast, an experience such as you have described reflects the complete opposite of our intentions. I hope you will accept our earnest apologies for the disappointment you experienced in our Lobby Lounge as well as the confusion with room keys. Please rest assured that we have shared your comments with our management team so that we can avoid a lapse in service in the future. If you have further comments, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail with you. If your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City, I would be very pleased to personally oversee the details of your next visit to restore your every confidence in us.

Until then, you may be assured we will remain at your service.

Regards –

Kasey Dubler
Director of Restaurant Operations
kdubler@grandamerica.com
MIDWAY,UT
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Came down from Midway to celebrate our anniversary with a show, dinner and overnight stay. The hotel and their staff made it a memorable night. We were on the 19th floor in a corner room with a cake waiting for us! The friendly and efficient staff gave suggestions for dining - had reservations for Ruth's Chris (great as usual) - will take the suggestions for the next visit to SLC. We're looking forward to the next opportunity to stay at the Grand America!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple