“Best hotel in Salt Lake City”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 6, 2014

In my opinion by far the best hotel in Salt Lake City. Having stayed here several times the rooms and service are always top class. The atmosphere is very relaxing. Compared with the rest of the US the prices are very reasonable. A light breakfast in the lobby bar/restaurant area may be a better choice than the main dining room - which is also excellent. The afternoon tea is very nice. Location is a little away from the center - too far to walk.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet with high floors on the North and east sides having good views across the city t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Granada100
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand America Hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and kind compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back once again upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I ended our week long honeymoon at the Grand America Hotel and, sadly, were deeply disappointed. The Grand America is a stunningly beautiful hotel but eventually you get over being transported to the 1930's and want some modernity injected into the experience. We felt profiled as late 20-somethings wearing jeans and t-shirts (it was the weekend!) and felt many times that the staff didn't expect us to be guests. My husband got into a quarrel with the valet as soon as we arrived. I was ignored for a time, standing with two coffees in hand before one of three bellman standing around would open the front door for me (yet they bounced at the chance to open the door for an older, well-dressed group). And the maid service was never informed that there were TWO people staying in our room, so the turn-down included just one robe and one set of slippers although two of us were staying there. On top of that, we didn't appreciate $13 tacked-on for parking and $10 tacked-on for use of the indoor pool (in early May the outdoor pool is not open). Weren't we paying enough for our king suite? The last strange occurrence was being offered a bottle of sparkling lemonade at 6:30 a.m. while we checked-out of the hotel with our bags packed for the airport. After being spoiled by another hotel with a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries during our stay - this seemed laughable. In short, if you are from out of state and under the age of thirty, go stay at Hotel Monaco up the street. For a so-called five star hotel and at the rates we were paying, I expected a lot more.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marina H
GAHotelsandResorts, Director of Guest Experience at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Marina H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us at the Grand America Hotel. We sincerely appreciate the candid feedback that you have shared with us.

We were saddened to read that your stay was disappointing. Our valet staff is trained and coached to provide a kind and welcoming experience. I am sorry for the delay in opening the doors and the impression given to you in the process. I was disappointed to hear that the communication between the front desk and housekeeping was not clear, thus resulting in your room not being prepared for two people. I can see how this was disappointing and I am truly sorry. I was saddened to read that our departure gift of Sparkling Lemonade and an upgrade certificate for a future stay was not to your liking, we truly wanted to honor your special occasion and thank you for being our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for not exceeding your expectations.

Marina H, we expect only the highest level of service be provided to all of our guests. Unfortunately, it sounds like we did not hit the mark with your experience. I am truly sorry that we were not able to provide a memorable Honeymoon experience to you. We pride ourselves on making each guests experience personalized, no matter their walk in life. I am very sorry we were unable to do this for you. Please know that we have discussed your experience with our leadership team to ensure the disappointment you experienced will not happen in the future.

Marina H, if you choose to return to Salt Lake City, our doors will be open to you. Please reach out to me personally as I would be happy to oversee the details of your future stay. Until then, we remain at your service.

Annie Fitzgerald
Director of Guest Experience
The Grand America Hotel

Reviewed May 2, 2014

the only knock I can give the hotel is it knida looks like a 80's grandma was the interior designer. Other than that the service from everyone wes unsurpassed. The restruant was great. The rooms are really big and well appointed. everything was done first class. The macaroons from the bakery were FANTASTIC. go get some!!! The spa was nicely done the services were professional , maybe not very unique but were all well done. far and away the best hotel in SLC. Period. walking distance to downtown shopping but a "healthy" walk. PICK IT.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor on the north side
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Grand America is a beautiful facility, but their management taring must be incredible. The customer service ranks up there with the best in the world. From housekeeping, concierge, front desk, to the convention staff across the street ...everyone deserved at least a high-nine or better. The high tea is not to be missed accompanied by a great harpist and clotted cream...yummmm. My room was huge and the double bathroom was marble on steroids. I will definitely come back. This was a surprise.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this beautiful hotel with my wife and two boys. The rooms and bathroom are equal any Four Seasons or Peninsula Hotel.
Great roof too pool, that is very family friendly. A wonderful and unique toy shop off the lobby. The hotel has a nice restaurant and Sunday buffet.
The street car is just outside easy commute to almost any down town site mall, movies, basketball ( Delta Center).
Coming from Chicago I found the price reasonable.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank 1Racer
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear 1Racer-

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and will share them with our staff. We welcome the opportunity to serve you once again upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have stayed at the Grand America twice and had a company dinner there once. It is absolutely beautiful. The first time we stayed for our honeymoon. We arrived late and left early. It was lovely for a short stay. So for our Anniversary we decided to return, We splurged on the "Grand Choice" package as we had heard how great the Sunday brunch was and were anxious to try it. Our night stay was great. We got a room facing east and then asked to be switched to the west side as I like to see the sunset. They were accommodating and I was appreciative. The room was nice and clean. The next we were hoping to hit the pool and the buffet. Not really sure how to do both by checkout time. We went to the buffet and were seated outside in the lovely garden patio. We began eating....there was a couple pretty good stuff, mostly breakfast stuff that is standard. Crepes, german pancakes, etc. All delicious, but nothing you couldn't get anywhere else. They had a lot of options. Fresh juice bar was yummy and they had crab and different foods. The shrimp and cold crab was fine, the food mediocre. Nothing knock your socks off... but not bad! We ate a plate or two and went to get more, each time coming back and our dirty plates were still on the table. We both thought it was a little odd, but the busser stopped finally and grabbed our dirty plates so we didn't think much of it. We were sitting and eating dessert. We had been there 1.5 hours and were sitting there when frantically a waitress with wide eyes said "how long have you been here? Can I get you anything to drink?" We were like......"Ummmmm....we're done." We had juice from the juice bar, anyways, and since it was a buffet, it really hadn't occurred to us that we were supposed to have a waiter, just thought it weird our plates weren't getting cleared very fast at such an upscale establishment. She was mortified and said "wait right here." So she got the manager who was very apologetic, but I got the feeling she was gonna get it when we weren't right there. So he comp'd our meal. Which was nice.....but also left us with a dilemma. We had paid for the package with a $100 hotel credit that had to be used by checkout. So we went to the front desk and asked them what to do. So they allowed us use our credit towards the spa but no appointments were available until late afternoon early/evening. So we hung around for about 4 hours waiting to use our credit....which didn't cover more than a 30 min massage for each of us, with us paying a little bit more. We went in for the massages. I was excited for such a luxury experience, as I usually get massages at the massage school with a curtain in between a ton of other people. We went in to find that the spa was being remodeled and our massages would be in hotel rooms. That was disappointing to me. I really wanted to experience a five star spa. The massage was really good. The therapist was great, very professional, but also not very inviting. My husband's was okay. Upon leaving, the man running the spa desk asked how much gratuity we wanted to leave. My husband told him one amount......he put more than that on the slip and had my husband sign it. I was livid. My hubby noticed it but was too embarrassed to have him go back in the computer and fix it. At check out...the couple in front of us were also checking out. The lady behind the desk told them. "Glad you had a good stay....and Anniversary." Then she handed them a bottle of martinellis apple cider to take with them and they left. We checked out and they didn't do the same for us, although it was our anniversary. Not sure what that was about but I felt really awkward. We went home. I don't want to be debbie downer. We got to do some awesome things we have never done before. But I just left with a bad taste in my mouth. I just say another side to the whole place that wasn't very professional. I also felt like I ended up kind of paying more than I was planning to and that always leaves me a little frustrated. I wouldn't not recommend the hotel. I hope others would have a better experience than us. Could have been a series of unfortunate events. Unfortunately it was me. :(

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bryndees
GAHotelsandResorts, Director of Guest Experience at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Bryndees,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand America Hotel in May 2013. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your review. As you know, candid customer feedback is essential to the success of any business, I thank you again for yours.

Bryndees, your review rang true in many ways. I sincerely apologize that the morning of your departure you experienced underwhelming service from the Garden Café, Grand Spa and the Front Desk. We expect from ourselves only the highest in customer service and satisfaction. I see that we tried to recover your stay in many areas. I apologize this did not meet your expectations. Please know that the remodel in our Grand Spa is now complete. The Grand Spa is tranquil and relaxing should you choose to return for a visit. Honesty and integrity in all of our billing details is of utmost importance, we would welcome the opportunity to remedy any errors on the Spa bill, kindly reach out to me or our accounting department directly so this can be resolved.

We would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Please reach out to me directly at afitzgerald@grandamerica.com when you choose to return, I would welcome the opportunity to assist in the details of your reservation and personally welcome you back to the Grand. Until then, we remain at your service.

Best,

Annie Fitzgerald
Director of Guest Experience
The Grand America Hotel

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Lovely hotel with good service. I was there for a conference and was given a suite with separate rooms and a lovely view of the mountains. You definitely want to be on the mountain side, it makes all the difference. Wonderful French shop inside with macaroons and gelato, children’s toy store and spa. There are many restaurants within walking distance, free train outside to the downtown mall and the Temple. Stay here over the hotel across the street. No comparison. Salt Lake was lovely and I would visit again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear IndianapolisMK -

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments. It is nice to hear you had time to enjoy some of our shops and The Grand Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.