“Perfect beds, easy welcome, at home straight away... bliss!”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Turned up after a week of budget hotels on a business trip for a surprise R&R overnight here before the long flight home. Wish I'd been here all week! Staff made you feel comfortable right away and very well looked after without any pretentiousness. Enjoyed a late meal in the garden room (you simply must have the chocolate mousse) and then retired to the girls' lounge for a nightcap, feeling rather decadent and very happy with my husband's thoughtfulness to secure this treat. Felt instantly relaxed from the moment I arrived and wished I hadn't had to leave at some ungodly hour for the airport the next morning... especially when the flight was delayed and I could have stayed and had the leisurely breakfast that looked so tempting on the menu. I also made use of the opportunity to buy some tempting treats to take home in the late opening shops and was suitably wowed by the largest gingerbread house I've ever seen and all the Christmas decor, with glitz that wasn't tacky in the slightest. I can't wait to get my whole family over to enjoy a stay here and really see what SLC is all about - it was beautiful from the windows! Thank you Grand America.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can! I was on the 24th floor and the view was amazing. Rooms are spacious, extreme...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand America Hotel

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a 3-day weekend a couple of weeks prior to Christmas. I had stayed at the Little America Hotel during 2 previous visits to Salt Lake City and this time I decided to splurge on the Grand. While I loved everything about the Grand, I think I would have been equally happy to stay in a tower room at the Little America. The Grand America is everything you envision for a hotel of this quality, and I'm glad I had the chance to experience it, but the Little America is also a beautiful hotel and comes at a much lower price.
The room itself was quite large (I asked for a mountain view) and spacious. Wifi access is free. The soaking tub was welcome, as there is a fee to use the hotel's indoor pool (which I had been looking forward to, but didn't think I'd make enough use of it to justify $10/day). The common areas of the hotel are beautiful, especially when decorated for Christmas! I ate breakfast in the restaurant one morning, and the apple pancakes were to die for. The hotel is right next to the Trax line which provides easy (and free!) access to downtown Salt Lake.
Overall, I had a good experience at this hotel, but would probably opt for the Little America across the street on a future visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view on a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel is elegant as are the rooms. There are wonderful shops as well as an amazing candy and cookie fantasy store. Breakfasts are divine and the gardens and mountain views are spectacular. This is a wonderful hotel to call home while you are exploring the city of Salt Lake. Be sure to see Olympic Park where future Olympians train during the summer months. The Mormon Tabernacle a choir is a must see/hear.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden in the rear. The executive suites are wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Grand America Hotel. From start to finish this hotel does not disappoint. First and foremost the staff make this hotel special. As beautiful as the building is the staff make the hotel shine. Always available and helpful, I never felt like I was disturbing them with questions. We stayed in an Executive Double Queen room. The room was spacious and very comfortable. My daughter loved the heated swimming pool. I ate in the Garden Restaurant only once but unfortunately it was an off night. The food took a long time and wasn't very good. The staff gave us a dessert which was wonderful and the best part of the meal. My husband and daughter ate there for breakfast often and really enjoyed it so I think my experience was more unusual. The downtown location was perfect for both exploring the city as well as hoping on the freeway to head to the mountains. I would not hesitate to recommend The Grand America hotel and it would be the only place I'll stay when I return to Salt Lake City.

Room Tip: We had requested a mountain view but were not able to get that view but our city view was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear NurseBryna-

Thank you for providing your valued feedback regarding your stay with us! It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us were impressed by our property and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand upon your next visit to Salt Lake City.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was our second Christmas visit at the Grand & we were so pleased to return. Nothing disappointed us about our second stay. The Christmas decorations & spirit were in full bloom exciting all of the visitors especially our grandchildren. The staff is wonderful – we just can’t say enough good things about them. The lunch buffet on Christmas Eve was marvelous. The mattred’e for his visit to our table & friendly greeting (he had made us feel welcome last year as well). What could I possible say about the fabulous room & view of the Wasatch mountains. The room décor was elegant & we love the marble throughout the bathroom area.
The finishing touch was the Christmas stocking on Christmas morning. That is such a special tradition. The kids loved the indoor pool very much because it was hard to get them out.
Happy New Year & we will be back,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the Grand America Hotel for a week and a half for a conference that I was attending.

This is an impressive property, almost bordering on being over the top. I stayed in one of the King Executive Suites, and the size of the suite did not disappoint -- it was larger than my condo in the DC area. The bed was super comfortable. There was plenty of closet space as well as plenty of electrical outlets. Everything was well appointed and comfortable. The room also had good WiFi coverage. The only thing was the in-room safe did not seem to work.

The bathroom itself was huge, with both a separate toilet area as well as a shower stall and bathtub. It is hard to see how they could have managed to include any more marble or brass. The shower had great water pressure, and the bathtub was quite nice as well.

As many others have pointed out, the service here was excellent. The people were genuinely friendly and ready to help without hesitation. They had nice facilities on site, such as a lobby lounge as well as a hotel bar, both of which had decent food and a good selection of local craft beers.

The location was not bad. The hotel is a short cab ride (less than 15 minutes) from the airport. There is a light rail stop about a block from the hotel that can take you to the downtown area for free. Although the city blocks are longer than I'm used to on the East Coast, the hotel is still within a 15-minute walk of many good bars and restaurants.

So, in terms of the rooms, service and location, I was impressed. This was definitely one of the best hotels that I've stayed in around the world.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2013

As everyone says, this is a lovely hotel with great service. What it lacks are the common things that make staying with a family even better. I wish it had in room coffeemakers and a place to hang wet swim suits. The pool is wonderful, but you have to search for it (in the spa and take an elevator). You shouldn't really dress in your bathing suit to get there because you have to go through the lobby to find it. They have dressing rooms at the pool area. If you just want to have pizza in the room, you can get it, but it's quite expensive to order room service. The Santa brunch and tea looked lovely, but since we were unaware of it when we booked our rooms, we couldn't participate as it was booked up. There is no free breakfast included. So if you're traveling as a couple or a single adult, this will likely have all you need. As a family, we did enjoy the toy store and decorated windows. We ate gelato at the little cafe/gift shop. It was a lot of fun because the lobby was more than just a hotel lobby. There was Disney channel in the room. Liked the chocolate chip cookies they had near check-in. Valet parking was expensive, but convenient.

2  Thank alibarbaraMilwaukee