“Beautiful hotel and good location for downtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand America Hotel

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Katy, Texas
“Beautiful hotel and good location for downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. We had a suite that swallowed us in luxury. The bed was very comfortable and the sitting room nice as well. We had 2 separate sinks to get ready at and there was more than enough room in the shower/tub area to stay out of each other's way. The evening turn down service was a nice touch. We were there on business and enjoyed dinner in the smaller restaurant. The food was predetermined, but was very good.I had the trout and was very happy.
The hotel lobby has a very nice atmosphere and the lounge area is a great place to relax in the morning and evening. We enjoyed coffee and pastries in the morning there. They have music in the evening that is not too loud.
The location sits on the corner of one of the light rail stops. We took the rail from the airport for $2.50 each. Taking the rail throughout downtown is free when you stay within a certain square radius, which the hotel is in. It was very convenient to hop on and off toward Temple Square.
We loved our weekend here! The staff was very nice too!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The Grand America exceeded my expectations and our stay turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had. The rooms are beautifully decorated with attention to every detail and very, very clean. We were greeted with smiles throughout our stay and everyone went out of their way to serve our needs. We also loved the little touches like chewy chocolate chip cookies available 24/7 near the check in desk and the little samples of sorbet by the lounge. There is a lovely restaurant with incredible food and several lounges so you really don't need to leave the hotel for meals or drinks but if you decide to everything is within walking distance or a short cab ride away. The beautiful grounds outside are a perfect place for photo ops. The only down side was that the indoor pool was closed for renovation, something my daughter was looking forward to. It would have been nice to have been told about this at the time of making a reservation or at least a small discount off our hotel bill would have been nice. I would absolutely stay here again. Also make sure not to miss the Sunday brunch which is $45 for adults and $22 for children and worth every penny. It beats the Sunday brunch at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas hands down.

McLean, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Clearly the best hotel in town. Beautiful entrance. Wood, gold and imported tapestries on the main floor. Nicely appointed rooms with large bathrooms and closets. We loved it that you can walk to the free trolly to take us downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high enough for a good view the mountains.
    • 3 of 5 stars
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've stayed in many four and five star hotels around the world but the Grand America has to be one of the nicest. It's located in the unlikely place of Salt Lake City. My son and I were doing a cross country trip and I sprang for a Junior Suite. It was quite the room with nice views, incredible beds, a beautiful sitting room and an exquisite bathroom (all marble). The staff was very helpful and the property very well maintained. I did have a package delivered there and I didn't appreciate being charged for them just to receive my small package and hold it for the same day arrival. My only complaint is that the hotel facilities like the pool and spa closed way too early. After a day of driving, we were looking forward to a nice swim and spa. By the time we got back from dinner, everything was closed. Apparently, this is the way life is in Salt Lake City, so try and arrive early. The Grand America was pricey for SLC, $225 for the suite but well worth it.

Room Tip: I gave the spa only two stars, I was able to walk through and it looked quite nice but it closed so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I cannot think of one thing to criticize. It was opulent, luxurious, gorgeous, and completely comfortable. I wanted to bring my room home with me, especially the bathroom. The Gibson Girls Lounge was fun! Everyone was polite, professional and concerned with my comfort. Fabulous in every way. 10 out of 10!

1 Thank Natchittychat
TheGrandAmerica, Public Relations Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Natchittychat-

Thank you for such a generous review. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to sharing it with our staff. If your travels bring you to Salt Lake City once again, we hope you'll stay at The Grand. Until then, we remain at your service.

Hotel Staff
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My room was spacious, elegantly decorated and totally comfortable!
Very surprising for a large conference hotel. The service at the sunlit bar off the lobby was impeccable. Just wish I'd had my wife and children with me...my room was next to the pool and the weather was perfect. Salt Lake City is not my kind of city but if you go this is the place to stay.

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had our best hotel experience ever at the Grand America. It was our honeymoon and they definitely made us feel special. We were able to check in early and given a congratulatory card from the staff.

Everyone we came across was friendly and helpful, even before we checked in. My husband called the hotel from the airport asking for the name of an emergency dentist. The concierge was happy to help.

Our room was beautiful, including the bathroom. It was large, well-decorated and very quiet. The view from our small balcony was great.

The pool and hot tub were very nice too.

We had a cocktail and snack in the lounge, which has a great happy hour. We wish we could have made afternoon tea.

There are many great restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. There's also a new outdoor mall.

Dear akchick3-

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you were able to enjoy a nice honeymoon stay with us. We hope you’ll stay with us again should you travel through Salt Lake City once again!

Hotel Staff