“Beautiful and Comfortable”

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed 4 nights in an executive king suite before and after a recent ski trip to Park City. The entrance and lobby are very impressive, ranking up there with a Four Seasons or Ritz. The rooms are the same caliber, except that the bed and pillows could have been, both in my opinion and that of my wife, more comfortable. We had an incredible breakfast each day at the hotel (try the banana pancakes). The only reason for a very good vs. excellent rating is the service. By no means was it poor. People were friendly and helpful, albeit a little slow at the front desk check in. Given the decor and formality of this hotel, I continually, perhaps unconsciously, compared its service with the experiences I have had at other 5 star properties, including those hotels named above. I did not feel the service met my other experiences. However, for the money, it’s a great hotel nonetheless.

Room Tip: executive king rooms, for the slight additional cost, is well worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was the most amazing thing i have ever seen. Even if you can afford to stay there, you still should go see it. Even the bathrooms make you feel like a princess. We had drinks in the bar and also bought chocolate from the little french shop!! It was an amazing thing to see!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I tell you, this hotel is awesome. Most of the staff is nice, the lobby is large and quiet and everything in this hotel is grand indeed. My daughter recommended it. We had some kind of cocktail hour in the lobby and toured the whole place. Just nice! The rooms were grand and elegant, just a beautiful hotel. Even the muffins are grand and on July 4th, they had a nice reception for the guests and spared nothing. There were the appetizers, and the fireworks which we were able to observe from the top. We had a welcoming gift from the manager, with beautiful chocolate and fruits. Just nice. The only downside, and I will be honest with you, is that some of the employees we met near the parking, maybe housekeepers were not friendly at all. I was standing at the garage and one drove roughly in, almost ran into me and barely said a word to me. And when I was touring the hallways, looking at some of the displays or decors, one guy, seems like a securiy guard, asked, can we help you? I am a black lady and I did not like the way I was approached. I remember that very well. Apart from that, the staff was excellent.

Room Tip: It is all good, they are all grand in service.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at the Grand America for a work conference. While it wasnt my first choice, it turned out to be a great stay. The service is exceptional and probably one of the top qualities of the hotel and the property is well maintained. The lobby and first impression is grand in the sense that there is lots of marble and wood panelling. The reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 is because the property can feel dated, particularly due to the amount of brass fixtures and floral pattern carpets and upholstered furniture. Looks more like the type of room my grandmother would have enjoyed during the 90's, but the room size and great bathroom makes up for it. Overall would stay again.

Special mention for their breakfast. The omelet's are awesome, especially if you get one with roasted tomatoes.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Very large hotel with plenty of staff to settle you in. I have slept in more comfortable beds. Built to accommodate guest for the Winter Olympics, this hotel certainly knows how to maneuver a crowd. Perfect choice for convention attendees. The lobby bar service is slow but the food is as good as in the dining room. Sunday brunch has everything from sushi to pasta. It is not walking distance to City Creek or the Gateway Mall. The east facing rooms do have spectacular views.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel; beautifully furnished rooms and public areas; spotless throughout; staff uniformly polite and helpful; excellent restaurant. It deserves a 5 rating in every respect; well worth the price, which is not at all unreasonable given the quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was booked here by a client - I never would have booked myself since all I need for a hotel is a clean room and comfortable bed. That being said...

The hotel is expensive and as soon as you walk in your room, you understand why. I was in an Executive Suite - two rooms and a bathroom. Also a balcony (though EXTREMELY narrow - not even enough room to put a seat). There is a stocked refrigerator (though they never refilled it). Two large (42"?) screens with an average selection of channels. (Note to hotel - fix the settings on the TV... and spring for HD signals).

Two complaints. One - the bed is WAY too soft. I asked if they could do anything to increase the firmness. Absolutely, I was told. They would bring up a bed board and put it in. I assumed they would put it in between the mattress and box spring. When I walked in, I was shocked (and honestly, amused) to see they put it right under the sheets. Um... yeah... I might as well sleep on the floor. I took it out and put it under the mattress myself. It helped a little, but not much.

The other complaint - the shower. Aside from it being ridiculously small (the tub is separate), it took a good 5 minutes for the temperature to be good. It wasn't ice cold when started - it was scalding hot.

By this review, you might think all I had was bad experiences. Not the case. The staff is great and I really didn't have any major issues (other than the bed).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Executive Director Hospitality Communications at Grand America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear mobycat-

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Grand. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and the amenities of the Executive Suite. I am especially pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff, and I have shared your kind words with them. I was disappointed to read that the bed board was incorrectly placed, and have shared your comments with our housekeeping staff to insure this experience is not repeated in the future.

I appreciate your feedback on our televisions, and I am pleased to say we are in the process of making the conversion to high definition television. I hope future time and travel plans will enable a return visit to the Grand America. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Salt Lake City.

Susanne Maitzen