WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Grand America Hotel

Grand America Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Leesburg, Virginia
“World class luxury and even better service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travel all the time and have been in 5 star hotels and resorts all over the world - England, France, Sweden, Germany, Russia, Japan, Bali (Indonesia), Thailand, China, India .... and on and on ... plus many places in the USA itself and must say that the Grand America ranks in the top of the list. My wife and I were truly, pleasantly, happily shocked by how much we enjoyed it. Even before leaving SLC we were planning to return to Grand America.

The lobby is a marble and wood paradise. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and elegant.

The staff everywhere was great with one big exception - it was disappointing in the excellent morning buffet to see the restaurant manager berate the staff. I thought the staff was superb. Perhaps the manager, Ali, felt he was impressing the guests but it was just rude and off putting. We had breakfast 6 days, he was there 2, and both times did that.

We loved the spa! We visited 3 times. Tiffany, Andrea, Alisa were our massage therapists and truly magically gifted. The service is pricey but definitely worth it.

Special thanks to Nina in the business center for her help.

Summary: If you ever want to get away from it all and live in wonderful luxury for a while, visit Grand America, and with that enjoy all that SLC and surrounding ski has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Keith S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Korean first
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Great building. Great staff. Great amenities. I didn't try the spa facilities but all the business facilities were spot on. The rooms are huge. The heat system keeps the bathroom 10 degrees warmer than the room. Great bedding. Functional sitting area. Fair minibar (didn't matter to me but beer and soft drinks only). The main bar is gorgeous. Really worth them upgrade from it's competitors.

Stayed January 2013
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Grand America is the correct description. The rooms are fabulous, large & spacious. Impeccably decorated, elegant & comfortable. The bed was wonderful. The lobby & other areas in the hotel confirm this is SLC's only five star hotel. We visited at Christmas & really enjoyed the spirit of Christmas displayed throughout. We didn't have a hot water maker in the room but found hot water in the lobby for our hot cocoa. The hotel is located near temple square for their marvelous Christmas lights. Very impreeive!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for a ski trip in February 2012. We had a great experience and I was thoroughly impressed with the staff then. I stayed again a few days ago for a business trip. WOW!! Once again the staff at every level and at every part of the hotel was amazing. The concierge remembered me from 10 months ago. I needed socks and she had them open the men's shop just for me. The wait staff in the restaurant was perfectly attentive. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I simply can't wait until I have occasion to return.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank TravelerBeyondUK
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for three nights recently for business, my second visit to this hotel. Done in the grand style of classic hotels, this will not disappoint guests. The lobby, foyer, and suites are spacious and luxurious.

Lovely, spacious room, a good desk for work and comfortable furniture- the bed receives top marks! I had several great nights of rest. The rooms are also well-isolated, I did not hear noise in the hallway or from other rooms at all, while I know the rooms near me were occupied. With 700 rooms, I was surprised the hotel, whicl constantly active, never felt too busy.

The differences between this excellent choice in lodging and some better hotels are in the small details and service, and these are small complaints but things that kept my stay from being perfect: not all towels being replaced by the maid, the battery in the bathroom scale not working, no in-room coffee or tea (yet there is beer in the honor bar), and a lack of information from the staff about all the available amenties (such as the lemon water near check-in which I didn't see until I checked out). Likewise, most of the staff are doing a great job, but are younger servers not well-seasoned, that could still use training. If you stay at the Peninsula in Chicago, that is top in my book and has stunning service. But the Grand America does a good job, and is by far the best hotel in SLC, hands down, and the only place I'd want to stay when in SLC. But compared to a basic chain hotel, you will be very pleased with choosing this location, and service is high quality compared to any standard chain hotel.

I suggest breakfast in the hotel and if you have time, enjoy the afternoon tea service in the lobby, with the harpist playing while the snow falls you may find yourself transported to another time and place. If tea isn't your thing, the fireplace is cozy and there is a gentleman's bar worth visiting to watch the game with fellow travelers. I'd not suggest the hotel restaurant for dinner, as we found several strange quirks both with our server and our food that left a poor impression.

A small side note, I adore the digital keys that are used for room access. Instead of a key card, it is an actual key with a magnetic strip that is read by the keyhole, which is a nice reminder of classic hotels- much like the spacious hallways decorated with lovely carpet and antiques.

There is much to like and enjoy at the Grand America, and without a doubt, there is no better place to stay in SLC.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and view of the mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank YaleDad
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

O.K., I'll admit I haven't stayed in every hotel in Utah, but I can't imagine that there can be a better one than this. If you've ever stayed in a fabulous Fairmont hotel in Canada, like the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, you may have an idea of what the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City is like. Like the Frontenac, the Grand America is a building that stands out along the skyline and is easily recognized from anywhere within miles.

The Grand America is a new hotel with all the ambiance and traditional look of a grand hotel from the turn of the century (the 1900's one). Everything is spacious and beautiful. The rooms are large and uncrowded. Service is excellent. Amenities are plentiful.

The Spa is outstanding, with everything one could ask for and the indoor pool is actually large enough for swimming laps. And, the outdoor pool is perfect for the kids as well as adults.

Dining is a treat - again, excellent service by cheerful young ladies and fine food well prepared. As for the famous Sunday Brunch - well, bring your appetite. Everything from crepes to omelets to pancakes & french toast made to order. Some of the finest jumbo shrimp cocktail and crab legs you can imagine. And, would you bellieve a carving station with leg of lamb and prime rib? Do I have room here to mention the salads, fresh fruit, chocolate fountain, fresh bread and more desserts than you can imagine, including some of the best bread pudding (a favorite of mine) you can imagine? I guess I should mention the sushi, the fresh squeezed fruit juices and the really tasty Mexican hot chocolate. I know I'm leaving out as much as I have included, so let me just say this - What a treat!

All this is within very easy walking distance of Temple Square, City Creek and the rest of downtown Salt Lake City. And, if you're not up to walking, just hop on the Trax train that passes along Main Street in front of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Trondheim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a place! Highly recommended. GREAT service, great rooms, very well made, classy. A definate top 3 in my experience. The rooms are amazing with great beds and furniture. Location is within walking distance for City Creek or other downtown establishments. Great belldesk service.

Room Tip: King bed superior on the higher levels.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business