“Relaxing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Denver, Colorado
“Relaxing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

So I ended up staying here just because my regular hotel was sold out. I liked it. The hotel itself is gorgeous, by far one of the nicest hotels in salt lake. They have a massive garden outside that you can literally get lost in. The room itself was awesome, exactly what i would expect from a 5 star hotel. The bar was a little dead, welcome to salt lake city i guess... Their candy shop was like eating a taste of heaven! The pistachio covered strawberries seem to have a hint of love put in them because I bought way too many! I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Micheal M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

OMG - what a gem! The hotel is so plush - like walking into a stately home or palace! I would go to SLC just to stay here! So why not an excellent marking? Well, the hotel pool is very nice, but lacked any service. Look to hotels like The Breakers in Palm Beach. There they have someone to find you a sun lounger, put up your umbrella, sort out towels etc. Here we were left to fend for ouselves. I also expected in a hotel of this standard to get a turn down servce, but this never happened. But the biggest shock - we had two cocktails in the bar which cost over $20 and were asked if we would like some nuts. When the bill came we were charged for them! This was a first anywhere I have ever stayed or had a drink! But don't get me wrong - the hotel if gorgeous, very reasonable and I'd stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SusanneMaitzen, Manager at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is wonderful when our guests comment on the beauty of our hotel and how much they enjoyed their stay. That said, I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you experienced at our outdoor pool and the missed turn down service, as well as for the disappointment you experienced in our Lobby Lounge. Please be assured that these issues have been addressed so the experience is not repeated for you, or any of our guests.
Thank you again for your very helpful comments. I hope that future plans will enable a return visit to the Grand. I would be delighted to personally welcome you back and until then, we remain at your service.

Susanne Maitzen
smaitzen@grandamerica.com
Executive Director of Hospitality Communication
New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a wonderful hotel! The amenities are fantastic, the service was impeccable, the staff was amazing. Rooms are in incredibly well appointed, roomy and comfortable. We've stayed in some of the better hotels around the world and this is really a surprising gem in the valley!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victor, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Spa at Grand America is awesome! The Spa Director was very helpful in getting an appointment scheduled for my husband and I through e-mail conversations. My massage was excellent. My therapist was a young lady by the name of Tiffany. She is strong and gave me the massage I asked for. My husband also had a great massage but regretfully he cannot remember her name. The Spa is set up very nicely. I am a massage therapist at a spa in Teton Village, Wy. so I feel that I know what should be expected from a spa. The Grand Spa exceeded my expectation especially because of the director and the therapist. Excellent employees make the difference.

Thanks,

Melanie Hamilton

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Who knew Salt Lake had such a nice hotel in it's downtown area? We've seen this hotel from the street, staying in the lesser version accross the way as well as several other properties in the city. We usually stop one night in Salt Lake before our 13 hour drive back up to Canada so we look for something reasonably priced but comfortable and clean so that we can have a good rest before a long drive.

The hotel from the outside always looked nice but on our last trip, our one night stay happened to fall on my birthday so I wanted to stay somewhere decent. The rates were on sale for The Grand America and it looked and sounded nice so I booked it. We had just come from staying at The Four Seasons in Vegas and the Grand America was nicer and the rooms were better. The service was a little stuffy but this hotel is so beautiful and the rooms were large and just lovely that I don't think I would stay anywhere else. It was worth every extra penny. The bathroom was huge and finished with the highest quality fixtures I've ever seen in a hotel. The view was spectacular and the beds comfortable, clean and every thing that you could ever need was provided.

We made our way to the indoor pool and it was by far the nicest and cleanest indoor pool I've ever seen. Just stunning and we had a great time with the pool to ourselves. Did not care for the extra cost to use the pool but it was a nice treat to have access to it.

Enjoyed the live music and nice flowers in the hotel. Check in/out was pretty good, maybe could use an extra staff member there. Overall, a 5 star experience with restaurants close by, parking and beautiful grounds and rooms. Don't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, recently for a business meeting over 6 days.
The hotel is very grand indeed with very plush interior design and a very big and spacious room.
My room was on the ground level at one corner facing the garden and swimming pool.
Enjoyed the room very much for the comfort and privacy.
The service was excellent and the whole stay was very pleasant and enjoyable.
The hotel is conveniently located near the city centre that is only a few blocks away within walking distant.

Room Tip: Like my room on the ground level near the swimming pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glastonbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel is beautiful and staff you encounter are very friendly and accommodating.

HOWEVER, they are just plain sneaky when it comes to extra charges.

Two examples:

1) I had about 40 minutes free before my flight, so I stopped by the fitness center. I signed the usual liability disclaimer and went inside. Upon check-out, I spotted a $10 charge for "Fitness Center." No one had said a peep about it when I went to use it.

2) Was trying to use in-room wireless which was pathetically slow. So I decided to try a wired connection, and used the ethernet cable in the drawer. Days later (which was very annoying) I saw a mysterious $6.50 charge on my AMEX which turned-out to be for using the ethernet cable (which I even left in the drawer when I was done). I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and never once been charged to use an ethernet cable particularly when the wireless was so slow.

I've since had both of these charges removed from my bill, but it sure does leave a bad taste about my stay at an otherwise very nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike_27_CT
TheGrandAmerica, Employee at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Mike_27_CT,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. It’s invaluable in our continuing effort to improve the guest experience at the Grand. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations with respect to the value of your experience at our property. To continue providing an excellent experience at our spa we do charge a nominal access fee for amenities such as towels, lockers, sauna, steam room, pool, whirlpool, fitness center equipment and toiletry items. Our spa staff is instructed to inform guests of the access fee, and I apologize that this did not occur upon your visit. The Ethernet cable is part of our mini bar selection. We will reevaluate the placement of the Ethernet cable to prevent confusion in the future.

I have shared your comments regarding our Internet service with our IT team, and thank you for that feedback which will help us in improving our in room Internet capabilities.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand America and in the interim, remain at your service.

Susanne Maitzen