“Our best convention ever!”

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Fruit Heights, Utah
“Our best convention ever!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I know that I have posted about the Grand America in the past as a recreational traveler and a nice place to conduct business out of but this time, our entire company hosted a conference for our advisor force and it was amazing!!
After persistent efforts with our CEO and some great marketing support from the Grand America team (Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging Events) we convinced our executives to hold their annual advisor conference in Salt Lake City at the Grand America this year. Now that I am back in the office and settling down from a great week, I have heard nothing but “excellent, beyond our expectations, beautiful, and what an experience” from fellow attendees. Although I am not 100% sure the exact size of our group I believe we had about 1,500 people or so in attendance. While there are many highlights of the trip I will focus in on some of the details that made this meeting stand out:
The attention to detail and timeliness of everything was amazing. Our group is primary comprised of retired military personnel and we start and stop on time. This appears to be a challenge for many of the previous hotels that we have met at in the past (especially in Hawaii) but the staff in Salt Lake was great!
Attendees loved the nightly turn down service where the room was freshened up, the ice bucket was filled, delicious chocolates served, and beds remade. This was a real treat for many whom have never experienced this luxury. Many appreciated the soft towels and comfortable robes available for use during the stay.
The food was amazing…both at mealtimes and snack service. Most convention hotels have a tough time getting all of the food out quickly and still fresh, but The Grand Staff pulled it off! A huge plus was the monitoring of the buffet style service by staff to ensure that no one station ever ran out of food.
Surprisingly a detail that stood out was the array of fresh cut flowers scattered throughout the hotel and convention areas that produced a very pleasant atmosphere and a nice splash of color. The outdoor courtyard hosted our final reception and the backdrop of the marble white outside was accented the beautiful gardens…as many attendees felt that they were in heaven. The convention bathrooms adjacent to the facility I believe were voted in the top ten places “to go” in the world. The fine soap and linen towels complemented the classic décor.
I would highly suggest considering the Grand America for your next convention. Salt Lake has much to offer with great access via a 10 minute trip to the airport, two wonderful outdoor malls (one just recently finished), many historic sites, and an array of great restaurants and bars that really do serve alcohol! The city is very clean and easy to walk on foot to many attractions in the downtown area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Grand America Hotel. We were humbled by your kind and thoughtful remarks. I recall your last review in 2009 and am delighted to have you back with us once again for this latest event.

In light of today’s highly competitive business environment, a collaborative relationship between the host facility and the organization is more important than ever before, to successfully accomplish strategic objectives. We are especially proud that your organization entrusted us with this vital supporting role. On behalf of Grand America convention services and group sales, we thank you for the opportunity to earn your trust.

My colleagues and I surely recognize the tremendous amount of conference options available for consideration. We are honored by your confidence and look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand for many years to come. Until then, we will remain at your service.

The Grand America Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I think this is the best hotel in America! The rooms are huge. My husband and I had a sitting room, king-sized bedroom, an entrance foyer, dressing room with sink and huge bathroom with private water closet, separate shower and soaking tub. Beautiful view of the mountains as well. The staff was very helpful. Everything was clean and comfortable. I'd go back in a second!

Room Tip: Ask for a mountainside room looking toward Park City and you have a lovely sunrise. I suspect the c...
1 Thank Linda B
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay. We are delighted to hear the experiences from our guests in a continual effort to enhance the Grand America experience.

It is especially rewarding when the details which give the Grand America it’s heart and soul, are recognized…it is the vision of our ownership to offer the very best in facilities, amenities and service at an exceptional value. We could not be more pleased that we successfully executed these service principles for you.

Thank you again for such kind remarks, we are truly honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand soon. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Rooms are very comfortable and the lobby is our favorite place to just sit and enjoy tea and sandwiches. The views are beautiful form the rooms and the service is always good. Never a problem when staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities and services.

We thank you for the opportunity to earn your trust and look forward to the privilege to serving you again. Until then, we remain at your service.

Vernon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The hotel rooms and amenities are exceptional. The rooms were large and had immaculate furnishings and large bathrooms. The windows are large and had great views. All of the food, whether from room service or in the restaurants, was delicious and reasonably priced for a high end hotel. One of my favorite things were the hotel shops... JouJou for toys and Le Bonne Vie for ice cream and macarons. They had things you couldn't find anywhere else. The hotel's location was great... a short walk to downtown and close to the Trax train system which had free rides in the downtown zone. The only thing I did not enjoy was some of the staff seemed a little lacking in the service area. They were loud in the hallways and around conference areas that were being utilized... yelling to each other and slamming chairs when people were in meetings. Some of the staff also destroyed some posters that were to be used by our conference planners and put them back without saying anything about why they had been crushed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were humbled by your kind remarks and delighted the features of the Grand America made such a favorable difference in your stay.

That being said, I was disappointed to read of the lapses in service you encountered during the ACS meetings. It was especially disheartening because we absolutely recognize the important role “content” plays in such conferences. I am terribly sorry that the disruptions you experienced compromised the integrity of your meetings in any way. I have shared the details of your review with my leadership team and we will take the necessary steps to avoid these issues from affecting current and future conferences.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this most valuable feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand America in the future and until then, we remain at your service.

Director of Hotel Operation
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

I was here for a conference and yes it is a gorgeous classic hotel. Lovely lobby with lilies on the front table. Enchanting shops, and a relaxing spa. Rooms were luxurious and very tastfully and originally decorated. Very kind staff overall, especially Alice in the catering/server department. However...

I had a few complaints-
I do not eat wheat or dairy and had to wait for at least 20 minutes for alternative meals after my dining companions were already eating. I know this doesn't seem like a long time to wait, and usually I would not mind if I were on a vacation. However, I was there on business and our meal breaks were 30-40 minutes i.e. more than half over before I was served. Once I was served pasta with cheese when I specifically said no dairy . They did eventually improve with the content of the meals, but they were still always late. There was so much attention to other details, it seemed odd of them to overlook something like this.

Also, as other people have mentioned, be careful of the "shuttle" and airport transport. We were running late and asked for the door staff to call us a cab. They said they could get us in one for "forty dollars" (Double the going rate!)lleaving right now. Or we could wait for the one he called coming in ten minutes. The ten minutes was more like twenty and when we complained we were told "you should have taken the other one when I offered(to rip us off??)" I have a feeling they play this game often with airport travelers, so be aware.

These two concerns are greatly overshadowed by the numerous positives this hotel possesses. I would definitely return again

• Stayed July 2012
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay at The Grand America Hotel. We were delighted you enjoyed the facility, staff and service.

I remember meeting with you and making the introduction you to our executive chef in an effort to address your food service issues. I am pleased to hear we were able to brings resolution (though belated) to your concerns.

I have also discussed your valuable comments relating to transportation with my leadership team and we will take a more aggressive approach to eliminate the experience you have described in the future.

We are sincerely grateful you took the time to share your valuable feedback with us. I am pleased your overall impression of the Grand America was not marred by some of the aspects you mentioned. We hope when your travels bring you back to our city in the future you will once again stay with us. In the meantime, we will remain at your service.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were here for 1 week for a conference and it was great. The views are awesome from floor 22. The chefs did a great job feeding 900 people. The food was amazing, and that's tough to do when cooking for that many people. I read reviews about people complaining about being charged 10.00 for the pool but that is for the inside pool connected with the spa. The outside pool is free and it was great. Be sure to download maps from the Visit Salt Lake site so you will know where all the local restaurants and places are downtown. We also printed a map of the UTA train which was helpful too. It stops right outside the hotel and it's free around downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were honored your organization chose the Grand America for its National conference and I can tell you sincerely it is one of the best events we have ever had the pleasure to host.

We were proud for the opportunity to assist with your organizational AND personal objectives during the event and humbled to read such kind remarks regarding our facilities, food and service.

Thank you again for recommending us so highly. We hope to see you back at the Grand soon and until then, will remain at your service.

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Growing up if you ever watched hotel, or remember the films of the glamour hotels of New York, this hotel rates right there. My room has French doors between sitting area and bed. Bathrooms beautiful marble and very spacious. It's service, style and grace scream old school luxury, if you enjoy a Dirty Martini vs a Appletini, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were humbled by your kind remarks.

Luxury travel media and the many guests who have experienced our hotel to-date have applauded us for the level of design and luxury we have brought to our city. We could not be more pleased that you have also recognized us for these efforts.

Thank you again for your most generous remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand America soon and until then, we remain at your service.