“5 star all the way”

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Potomac, Maryland
“5 star all the way”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Went to a convention in Salt Lake City and chose this hotel because of the reviews. Everything about this hotel is top notch. From the bellman and doormen to the registration staff and concierge to the rooms and amenities. I got in late and there were plenty of people at the desk to quickly check in a long line of guests. Appreciated the ice water and home made cookies that they keep right there - unfortunately for my waistline, I treated myself to those cookies every day. I told the woman at check in that I'd never been to Salt Lake City and I'd like a nice quiet room looking out towards the mountains. The room was beautiful and huge, a corner room, very quiet and very clean. Separate shower and bath, toilet in separate room, 2nd sink outside the bathroom itself. Lots of counter space and towels provided in the bathroom. Comfy robes provided in the closet. It was the little things about the hotel and staff that made it special. With the turndown service, they leave a fresh glass and ice bucket full of ice on the bedside table - as well as chocolates. The curtains overlap by several inches so it stays dark in the morning (which I like). I did not use the restaurants, pools, or go to the shops, but I did hear good things about them - I also checked out the onsite spa and fitness center, which I wish I had had time for. There were good restaurants within walking distance and a fun farmer's market on Saturday morning. I appreciated when one of the doormen recommended calling me a cab instead of my walking to a restaurant "because of the neighborhood" it was in....and he was right! If you're not much of a walker, there is a free shuttle a block from the hotel entrance that takes you up to Temple Square, the convention center, shopping areas downtown, etc. We had such nice weather and the streets are clean, wide and flat - so it's less than a mile to easily walk to these places. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would stay here again if I came back to SLC.

2 Thank nreyesok
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us...we are extremely pleased your visit was enjoyable.

It was truly rewarding to learn that facilities, staff and services of the Grand America, “our heart and soul”, has touched yours!

Thank you for such high praise. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

The Grand America Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a 5 night stay the weekend before Valentine's Day. We indulged in the "Grand Passoion: An Evening of Chocolate and Jazz." It was wonderful and we thought it was a great deal--only $25 per couple. We thouroughly enjoyed the wonderful food and the great live jazz.

Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bathtub was enormous and great for warm bubble baths after being out in the cold Rocky Mtn weather. Turn-down service was exceptional, with robes, chocolate, relaxing music and the next day's weather report. We looked forward to heading back to the hotel every night.

The valets and bellhops were outstanding, as were the front dest attendants. When we arrived for check-in, weary from a very long flight, we were greeted with chocolate-chip cookies and refreshing icewater infused with blood oranges.

The breakfast buffet in the Garden Cafe was perfect and we spent our evenings unwinding over burgers or fish & chips (outstanding!) in the cozy Gibson Lounge. We were looking forward to trying the afternoon tea as well, but never made it back to the hotel in time.

We ordered room service and the order was correct and hot when it arrived. There is an extra service fee for room service, but they included chocolate-covered strawberries.

The only negative aspects to our stay were that the bed was extremely firm, and neither of us slept very soundly because of it; also, you have to pay extra for each day that you use the pool. I was very disappointed by this because we ended up adding another $50 to our bill just to access the hotel pool each evening. I think if a hotel has pool facilities, they should be included in the room rates for guests.

Speaking of the pool, it is very nice--indoor, and there is also a hot jacuzzi. Towels are provided and there are locker rooms and bathroom facilities. The locker rooms are great--clean and elegant, with all the ammenities: dry sauna, steam room, showers, towels, bathing suit extractor, hair dryers, robes and sandals, magazines, blood orage infused ice water, and lockers, of course.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay here and would probably stay here again (or in the Little America across the street) if we ever go back to SLC.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WaveBaby4
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities and service.

We were especially proud that you appreciated the many special details of the Grand which personalize and care for our guests. We pride ourselves in providing exemplary services and are thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Until then, we remain at your service.

birmingham, MI
Reviewed June 15, 2011

An absolute pleasure to stay at the Grand America! A true 5 star hotel. From the minute I arrived I was welcomed by the incredible, gracious, friendly staff (even room service at 2:30 AM was great!) The lobby was beauatiful and elegant but still welcoming and inviting. The room was extremely spacious, comfortable, and beautiful and it had great views. I've stayed at more expensive hotels that can't even begin to compare to the Grand America! If you are heading to SLC I strongly suggest staying at the Grand America. You will not be disappointed! It was a wonderful experience. I would go back to SLC just to stay at the Grand America.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lumpy04
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

I am truly delighted you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities and service, but especially proud that you recognized and appreciated the graciousness of our staff.

I can tell you without hesitation, the heart and soul of the Grand America is our terrific staff…it has always been our wonderful colleagues who bring the Grand to life...we could not be more pleased we have successfully executed our service values for you.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand America soon and until then, we remain at your service.

USA
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have stayed here at the Grand many times but was disappointed to find out that Kyle, one the front desk guys no longer works there. I had built a professional relationship with him and even though it has been over a year I still remember the skill and care he took to ensure every detail of my trips were up to par.

In my opinion, the Grand lost some of it's charm when I found this out.I will not say how this came to my knowledge, I only hope he has moved on to bigger and better opportunities. If this message ever gets back to him, I will gladly set up an interview with our Vice President. We would love to have a man of his caliber working for us.

Nonetheless I always stay in this remarkable facility. The service is impeccable, but lacking his Charm.
I know you will respond to this post Anthony. Thank you for the care and dedication you have to your trade. It is always a pleasure and a Grand experience doing business with you.

3 Thank OnTheR0adAgain66
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was so pleased to read where the heart and sole of the Grand America Hotel...one of our wonderful colleagues, has touched yours.

We would certainly pass along your sincere appreciation to Kyle but as you know his career path has progressed in a new direction.

I hope that when the occasion calls for the Grand America in the future, you would allow our Grand Ambassador to contact you. I am confident they can also personalize the details of your visit and ensure a most successful stay.

Until then, we will remain at your service.

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This hotel was a welcome surprise! Wonderfully spacious suite,very clean, with great service! Gym was excellent,and pool inviting. Had breakfast there and it was tasy!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank 1lacrosse
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities and service.

My colleagues and I recognize the tremendous amount of lodging options available for your consideration. We are thankful you discovered the Grand America and for the opportunity to earn your trust.

I hope the experience you had with the Grand has endeared you to us so that we may have the opportunity to serve you again. Until then, we will remain at your service.

Park City, Utah
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The Grand’s Garden Café “buffet” - (breakfast/ lunch) –
is the ‘benchmark’ for being the BEST in Salt Lake City !
Alternately, it might take a half-hour or so if you order ‘a la carte’ –
so ALWAYS opt for the “BUFFET” –
it’s there instantaneously for you.
Most drinks are also ‘included’ in the buffet’s $17.00 price.
At “dinner” – that is, ‘after’ 2 p.m. - there is NO “buffet” –
so call ahead for the times,
so you can be there for this delectable treasure.
You will be sooo delighted you did !
The staff will also let you do a small inclusive ‘take-out’,
so you can finish it in your room - or save it for later.
Bring your appetite, and gorge –
and feel GRAND !!
Bon appetite !

123 Thank SteveTAExPDiA
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us...we were flattered by your generous compliments on Garden Cafe buffet.

We are always delighted when our guests recognize and appreciate the small touches we do to personalize the experience. We pride ourselves in providing gracious service throughout and are thrilled we were successful in achieving this with you.

Once again, thank you for such high praise, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand soon and in the interim, will remain at your service.

Atlanta
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I've stayed in some big name hotels but this was by far my best experience. I was there for a meeting of 500 and the conference facilities were unrivaled, including the food (the standard plated chicken breast was amazingly moist and tasty). The staff was so friendly and helpful. The bellmen were waiting by the elevators on the morning of our last day to check our bags until we left on late day flights. The room itself was bigger than most of my apartments in college. The living room/bedroom seemed more like a beautifully decorated apartment. The bathroom was all in white marble with 3 rooms: a closet area with a large vanity, a separate room for the toliet and a grand main room with a luxurious soaking tub, separate shower, and beautiful vanity. This hotel is, indeed, "grand." I plan to return even without a conference to lure me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Plan4U
HotelOps, Director of Hotel Operations at Grand America Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2011

We were especially proud that you recognized and appreciated the many special touches we do to personalize and care for our guests.

Thank you again for recommending us so highly. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand soon and until then, remain at your service.