“Our go-to place”

Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Rocky Mountains
“Our go-to place”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We love staying at this particular hotel whenever we visit Salt Lake. The staff is professional but not stuffy. Rooms are nice, though we wish there were double queens instead of double doubles. Still, my kids love this place, good pool area and in winter it's fun having the ice rink right next door.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Boston
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott City Center for a week to attend a business conference. I had booked a king size room for the week. I arrived extremely early since I was flying in from the east coast and arrived at the hotel around 11:00AM. Unfortunately, they did not have any king size beds available and since I wanted to get into my room ASAP I chose two doubles.

The room was very clean and the bathroom is very large. They even provide a bathrobe in the room for your use. They have Bath and Body Works products and the bed was very comfortable. They provide free high speed internet, however, no wireless. You have to connect through the wire on the desk.

Everyone at the hotel goes out of their way to help you, sometimes to a determent. For example I had breakfast at the hotel. The host sat me down, explained the menu and breakfast buffet, which I decided to get since it was fairly inexpensive, however, every time the host walked by my table he asked if everything was good, was the buffet nice, is there anything else, etc… in addition to the server asking if there was anything else I wanted. It was all good; I just didn’t want to be asked anymore.

The gym facilities at this hotel are not bad. They have plenty of weight machines and several cardio machines. They even have dumbbells, but they lacked barbells, which is a minor inconvenience. At 5:30 am there were a fair amount of people already using the gym but its open 24hours with your room key so you can work out any time. A nice suggestion would be to bring your swim suit with you when you work out. There is a locker area off the gym area where you could change and use the pool and/or the Jacuzzi.

My one complaint is that the walls between the rooms are fairly thin. When I first entered my room I noticed I could hear music but couldn’t really tell where it was coming from, the street? Another room? I wasn’t sure. Then the next morning, luckily, I slept with ear plugs on and went to the gym very early, and as I was walking back to my room I could already hear a TV just getting off the elevator and down the hall before I even reached my room. As luck would have it, the TV was in the room next to mine and TV next door sounded like it was on in my room. I called downstairs and asked if they could contact the room next door to lower their TV. They did and I didn’t hear anything after that. I suspect that part of the problem is that the volume on the TV is preset and goes back to the loud setting whenever it is turned on.

I ordered room service one night, it was OK, but expensive for just a Caesar salad and a shrimp cocktail. Service was quick though.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
breckenridge,co
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here on business and got a great rate through the company we were in town to see. We arrived early from Denver, and had our room by 9 am. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room overlooked the closed ice arena, was very clean and tidy. Parking is $12 per day, but convenient. Plenty of restaurants in the area, and we took the advice of travel books and saw the Thursday night rehearsal of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, it was spectacular! Very clean and friendly city!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
S.E. PA
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I started staying here 2 days after the 2002 Olympics. Slowly the prices have increased and tend to stay high. For the money, not worth it. At the lower prices it's a great value, quiet, great rooms, fantastic beds. The bar and restaruant aren't too great. You're better off heading out to another place for good food or some lively conversation. My family and I stayed here each year pver New Year's from 2003 to 2007 and the staff always pulled through for us but this year they didn't seem to have the same interest in making my Platinum stay worthwhile. I'm staying at the less expensive Marriott Residence Inn now.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LuvDaSun222
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed January 9, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the Marriott City Center on New Years Eve. It is close to everything downtown and the service was great! Good fast room service and the bellman shined my shoes for no cost at all (tip of course). Beautiful rooms and views. Great stay!

• Liked — Area and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 7, 2009

The rooms were awesome, especially the bathroom. Service was great. We were greeted in the lobby by a manager. When we needed a restaurant recommendation, there was another manager that went out of his way for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Awesome job!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I have stayed in many hotels in the greater Salt Lake City area. When I travel on business I like to bring my family - I've stayed at this particular Marriott City Center several times now and finally taking the time to write my review. This hotel was originally referred to me by a few friends who have stayed here as well and they had great experiences! Our rooms have always been very clean...extremely clean! I am a rewards member and stay at a lot of Marriott Hotels (including the Downtown Marriott not far away from this one) and have always noticed how clean the lobby, parking garage, elevators, and rooms are - my wife has especially noticed this! Hands down the best staff we've experienced in Salt Lake City, very accommodating, and very knowledgeable of the area( great dining recommendations!) From one fellow business traveler who tries to bring his family occasionally to another, I strongly recommend this hotel in the Salt Lake area - location is IDEAL, staff is IDEAL, and overall accommodations are IDEAL - not to mention the incredible and picturesque ice rink just outside the main lobby doors. I hope you enjoy as I have!

• Liked — Cleanliness and Staff
  • Disliked — That we did were not able to stay longer:)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family