“milestone birthday trip”

Salt Lake City Marriott City Center
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 22, 2012

As a longtime Marriott customer we again chose this hotel for a milestone birthday for my Dec 25th birthday. Although we stayed there a week before, they made it special and even had a small gift bag in the room as I mentioned on my reservation of upcoming celebration. The room could not have been better, the music at the skating rink was loud and I worried about trying to get to sleep, but they turned it off in a timely manner and all was well. It is a bit of an effort to find and park at this hotel but I feel it is worth it in the long run. Although each time I have been there the starbucks smelled like burned coffee. but I am sure we will stay there again.

Room Tip: higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Salt Lake City Marriott City Center

Reviewed May 3, 2012

The Marriott City Center in downtown Salt Lake City is a pretty good choice if you are looking to stay in the heart of Salt Lake City. Now before I get into the details you do need to keep in mind there are actually two Marriotts in downtown Salt Lake City that are fairly close to eachother. There is one right across the street from the convension center and has a Starbucks, and then there is the Marriott that I stayed at that seems to be newer and a little more up scale and has more amenities but location wise isnt as great. So anyway the hotel itself is very nice. Rooms are all nice. Unfortunatly the room we got had two beds which I had assumed would be queen sized but ended up being full size beds. This was not adiquit space so we had to get a roll-a-way bed which made things very cramped. Otherwise the room was very clean, well appointed, and had nice views of the city and views of the mountains in the distance. The bathroom was large and clean as well. The hotel itself had a nice workout facility that had windows all around looking out onto the street from the second floor. Right off of that was the indoor pool also with large windows looking out onto a nice area that I am really not sure what to call but was nice! As for the location of the hotel, it was pretty good. There is a Hardee's right next store (I did not have any desire to eat there but I am sure many like Hardee's). Also there is a great grocery store a block north of the hotel called Morton's. Being from St. Louis I have never heard of it so it was impressive to me. There is a great shopping area just a couple blocks away called City Creek. Its a must see place, it is truly beautiful and has many places to shop and eat. Also the convension center is about an eight minute walk or maybe a ten minute ride on their railway system (I cannot for the life of me think of what to call it!). There's a lot within walking distance so it is a great hotel, but if you'd like to be closer to the convention center, Starbucks, and City Creek you may want to stay at the other Marriott. Just some food for thought! Either way you cannot go wrong.

1  Thank AlexM111
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott City Center SLC for the first night of our Honeymoon and it was amazing. The only downside of the stay was reserving the room. Everyone was friendly and romantic package that we picked was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel because it was the "host" hotel for my recent race in Salt Lake City and I was not disappointed! The hotel was beautiful and the personnel were knowledgeable and friendly. My room was immaculate and the bed was super comfy (which is very important the night before a race!). I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again anytime I was in Salt Lake City!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent Easter weekend in SLC. Unfortunately, my husband got food poisoning at a mall food court our first day there. It's no fun to be sick, but away from home is even worse. He was too ill to travel, so we had to stay at the hotel, except for the hours we spent in the emergency room. Fortunately, this hotel was very comfortable and quiet. Room service prepared some clear soup for him. I could sit comfortably in the lobby lounge and read so I wasn't stuck in a dark room while my husband was resting. The hotel is one block from a beautiful new shopping and restaurant area and there is a fabulous gourmet grocery store just a three minute walk away. We got a really good rate on Priceline. We highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Lyn B
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The good: great room, great room service, clean, and breakfast was wonderful.

The negative: front entrance is strange with flight of stairs and very difficult in parking and getting in. Service terrible at front. Front desk nice but could not find adjoining rooms even though requested long ago. Hostess at breakfast could not timely seat even though place dead. Sorry but service very poor.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Marriott City Center for a girl's night out in December. Upon arriving, we left our vehicle with the valet and were surprised at the small size of the lobby. The lobby is, however, very clean and nicely decorated. From what we could tell, there is only one restaurant on site, along with a small cozy bar. We took our bags up to the room and returned to the bar off the lobby for a drink. The rear of the hotel backs directly onto the Gallivan Center, a downtown park, which features concerts and nighttime entertainment in the summer, and a good-sized ice skating rink in the winter. We settled in, enjoying our single measured-shot Utah cocktails and watching the ice skating families enjoying the crisp winter night. Although it was a weekend evening, we were the only two guests in the bar, until another couple wearing only their hotel-provided bathrooms and cowboy boots arrived that is. This gave us a good laugh and led to much speculation on our parts, perhaps they don't travel much? We couldn't, however, speculate they had just come from the pool, because it was December, and being December, I'm not even really sure myself if the hotel has a pool. I know there are workout facilities, as I have seen people on the treadmills when driving by since our visit. Our room was a comfortable smallish double. The hotel is relatively new, well maintained, and clean. The bathroom featured a shower/tub combination and toiletries from Bath and Body Works, which was a nice touch. Although within walking distance of many Salt Lake eateries and bars, the front exit does empty onto a slightly rougher part of town. There are often people asking for spare change in the area, and oftentimes people who appear to be under the influence of more than the heady night air are encountered. A short walk from the front door leads to a part of town with more foot traffic and we never really felt threatened. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but expected more amenities and facilities from a newer downtown hotel. I would recommend the hotel as ideal for the business traveler, but the leisure traveler may want more in house entertainment options.

Room Tip: Ask for a West-facing room if you're interested in a view of the Gallivan Center.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family