“Comfortable, Clean and Modern Minutes from Downtown”

Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed here four nights and were very pleased with the hotel. It's right outside of downtown and not too far from the airport. The decor is very pretty - modern with lots of big windows and a hugh stone fireplace in the lobby. Our room was very nice. The bed was very comfortable, we had a large flat screen TV, plenty of room to store our clothes, a good chair with ottoman, and a desk to work at. The bathroom was very clean. The only complaint I had was there wasn't much storage space. The balcony had a great view of downtown with the mountains in the background. There is a large pool and a sauna/whirlpool. There is a big exercise room. And a Starbucks in the lbby. There are plenty of computers in the lobby that you can use free of charge. We would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jdpreview
Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed June 26, 2009

I stayed here 3 nites for 50 bucks a piece via priceline. The hotel's quoted rate was $169, so it was kind of a bargain. The rooms have very updated decor with flat screen TVs etc. My only qualm is that when my room was cleaned, they obviously did not clean or replace the drinking glasses - I could tell they had been wiped out, but some telltale leftover "beer scum" was visible on the bottom of one of them. I guess this is pretty typical though - you should never use glassware in a hotel room without washing it yourself! It was still kind of disappointing though, for an otherwise great stay!

This place is near downtown SLC, but it's about a mile walk (in the summer heat right now) to Temple Square and other things. Lots of major chain restaurants nearby, and a couple good local breweries.

In-room wi-fi is 10 bucks for 24 hours, which I think the major hotels really need to stop charging for! Free wi-fi and computers in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank pauldini
SheratonSLC, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2009

Thank you for your response regarding the cleaning procedures of our in-room glassware. The comments we receive from our guests are the most reliable tool we can use to measure our performance. We have addressed your comments with our Director of Rooms Division and Director of Housekeeping and reiterated the proper procedure for in-room glassware to our attendants to ensure the utmost in care is provided.

We are grateful for your patronage and look forward to being of better service to you in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

This was a beautifully decorated hotel. The beds were so confortable that I would buy one for my home. The staff were very friendly and accomodating.
Also the restaurant in the hotel, Olio, was really delicous. Unfortunately, they were not busy at all and I fear they will not last.

Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We only stayed one night here and checked in late in the evening. The lobby is very nice, as are the rooms. The level of cleanliness was superb, the bathroom was huge. We had some drinks in the bar, very friendly staff. I ordered crab cakes which were so delicious, really recommend them.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I was a guest at the Sheraton in downtown Salt Lake City for three nights. The recent hotel renovation has made the rooms very nicely decorated, updated, and comfortable. The room is nothing to rave about, but is very functional and roomy. The bathroom was larger than other recent hotels I have stayed at and it was a nice change. My only minor complaint about the room itself was the lighting and mirror placement. The lights are all the energy efficient flourescent bulbs, which I'm sure is great for energy conservation but gives a funky light to the rooms as the bulbs warm up. Also, there is no way to get close to the bathroom mirror to apply make-up or pluck eyebrows . . . and the full length mirror doesn't have proper lighting to do those same tasks. The television is very large but the choice of channels was limited. My only complaint on the cleanliness was due to the dirt in the carpet, which came out when I wore white socks while in my room.

What sets the Sheraton aside is the staff. Everyone that I encountered was very pleasant, polite, and helpful. A front desk person faxed a document for me efficiently, the housekeeping staff was very polite and helpful, and a bellman saw me in the lobby and just asked if my stay was going well and if there was anything he could do to make it better. Plus, after traveling to some larger cities, it is such a treat to stay somewhere that still has a free airport shuttle and free parking!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank blueiii
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed at the hotel in late May and all renovations except for the sauna were apparently complete. The rooms are probably the best I've experienced at a Sheraton, and agree with an earlier reviewer that they are virtually to Westin standards, including a smooth finish ceiling instead of the dated popcorn texture or the poured slab concrete I sometimes see. The new design language is casually elegant and very attractive.

I'm SPG Gold and was upgraded to the Club Floor with a city view, which is beautiful, and just far enough from the edge of the city to be tranquil, yet close enough to walk. Alicia was overseeing the Club Room and she did a great job and was very warm and helpful. The Club Room has small balconies that look out toward Park City and the mountains and the view is stunning.

The pool area was not as impressive as the rooms and didn't appear very fresh, so I'm not sure if it was renovated or not, though it had just opened for the season. That one slight minus, along with the incomplete saunas, is the only reason I didn't evaluate as a 5.

If you like sweets, Mrs. Backer's Pastry Shop is a true Salt Lake City institution and worth a visit for some of the best and most artistic creations you will find in the Intermountain West.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TurtleCreekTraveller
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I had made the reservation through Starwood - I'm a general member of SPG. The hotel is newly renovated...and, man - It's Stunningly Beautiful. I was with one of my best friends and his 'service dog' - We booked on the 'pre-paid' rate of $119 a night (I had an early flight back home to Los Angeles - I don't dig 6.30am check outs). We arrived late in the evening of Sun. May 31st, the front desk clerk was really cool - but, I got upset when she tried to use my credit card used for the 'pre-paid' and it came back denied?? It appeared the card was not being accepted, so I had to use another card. (In the end the room rate was same and money was not taken out of my originating card...RELIEF). We checked in and then went to the indoor Jacuzzi (It was nice...) and the night security let us stay past the 11pm curfew (Thanks). The wi-fi was free and accessible from the lobby - Sadly, no free internet in the rooms (It will cost you...). We were in the lower wing, away from the tower. I didn't care, each room was renovated, and I don't have elite with Starwood - Still, the room was fresh and modern with a 42 inch plasma TV (Sharp Aquios) and we enjoyed watching KSL 5 and The Weather Channel. Overall, If I didn't have an early morning flight on UA837 from SLC , we would have stayed til 1pm =) --- Overall, A nice hotel experience (minus the credit card problems at check-in) Thanks - Joe G

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends